PDA

View Full Version : great day and too much powder

bigted
02-25-2017, 09:48 PM
got to go to the range today so ... as it has been a stressful few weeks here ... i took my TC 45 and 50 as well as the Browning Mountain 50. had a blast but what was extraordinary was the 45 cal TC Hawkins. i do not remember what the grains of 3Fg i used to shoot but it never impressed me before today. i just for fun shoveled in 45 grains of 3Fg [i know this is prolly 20 or 30 or more grains light from what i used to shoot but] under a home cast .440 ball and a patch of thin proportions ... i mean i could start them by hand and they went down the barrel with 1 easy shove all the way to the powder ... every time ... and capped it off with musket caps ... [CCI caps as this is what i have on hand and this is the nipple came to me with the rifle] ... and just messin round at 25 yards to just let the wheels slow down ... besides this is the only range i could get on a warm sunny day on Saturday.

these lil hummers will all go into the same hole at this short range and after messin a bit i got em to hit where i looked thru the full buck horns. very happy and satisfying day with the 45. cant say as well for the other two 50's but any shootin and clouds of smoke is a nectar and a tranquilizer for me.

which brings me to the point of this lil post. i know for myself i need to back away from the computer and life more often and enjoy what really is a fine and comforting time out. i would encourage you all to do the same. since the election seems like everything has been on edge and its nice to get back to what really sooths my soul.

so just a hint of recoil in the 45 and sunshine enveloping my huge clouds of smoke proves to me that the low dose of powder and fun shooting have won again.

Hogdaddy
02-25-2017, 09:57 PM
Any day at the range is better than a day at work. Sounds like you had a good day ; )
H/D

OverMax
02-25-2017, 11:02 PM
Got one myself. Dandy little caliber 45s are. Glad someone other than me is enjoying his too.

koehlerrk
03-02-2017, 07:58 PM
As a kid, one of my dads friends had an old Hopkins and Allen 36 cal under hammer.
He showed me how to load it then he and my dad sat back and watched. Fond memories... I need to find one of those and put it in my collection.

bob208
03-02-2017, 10:59 PM
I have been shooting a h&a underhammer in the matches for the last 15 years. my load .440 ball .018 patch. and ,45 gr 3f goex.it shoots clean and straight.

54bore
03-03-2017, 01:23 AM
Sounds like a good day to me!! I was bitten by the small bore bug awhile back, i bought a TC Seneca .36 Cal, ABSOLUTELY my favorite 'fun gun' i enjoy all of them, but this little .36 is a HOOT! And VERY underestimated by some, this little .36 Cal is doubling a .22 Magnum. Kinda reminds of the .257 Weatherby story 'from mice to moose'

sharps4590
03-03-2017, 08:06 AM
As with the old saying, "the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man"......so is the smell of real black powder!!!!! Good on you ted!!

bigted
03-03-2017, 11:30 AM
I have been shooting a h&a underhammer in the matches for the last 15 years. my load .440 ball .018 patch. and ,45 gr 3f goex.it shoots clean and straight.

That is almost exactly my load ... Very fun

GoexBlackhorn
03-04-2017, 10:14 AM
I just cannot go the range and shoot a load that's 1/3rd or 1/2 less potent than when I hunt. Normally I use between 70-80gr of Goex FFF, depending on the bullet (roundball or conical)