PDA

View Full Version : Fix-RCBS- Lub- Sizer

smokemjoe
07-04-2008, 01:59 PM
I have 2 RCBS sizers, One has a rackit handle, the other has a bolt threw it and balls on each end. Its a pain pulling on it. How can it be fixed up with a handle on it like the lyman with a wrench or ????? Thanks- Joe

dromia
07-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I'd email RCBS see if they would do a retro fit.

I have found them most accomodating and usually FoC,worth try before you start fiddling with it as I'm sure some of the chaps here will have done this them selves.

I find the ratchet much better on the older LAMs. But that said the new ball ended handle isn't too much of an issue either. What lube you using, seems like a tad of farenheit might help.

Maven
07-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Carpetman had his gunsmith mill 6 flats on the shaft so as to accomodate the Chapman wrench. I have both types (wrench & thing with balls) and like Dromia, I don't have a problem with the ball thing either.

Meatco1
07-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I have both also, and no problems with either. If you prefer the old style, let me know, and I'll swap it out with you.

Richard

miestro_jerry
07-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I have the T handle with the balls on the end of the T. Except one of the balls broke off and I threaded it, put a nut on it and then put some of that screw driver handle dip on it. I would like a rachet type of system instead of the T Handle. Maybe I will see what I can machine out to fit.

Jerry

quasi
07-09-2008, 12:27 AM
I have the second type with the ball handle. One of the balls broke off years ago, I finally phoned RCBS a month ago for a replacement handle. No charge, not even for shipping, even to Kanada! And it is here already!

zipdog
07-09-2008, 09:20 AM
I had a LAM II and wanted the ratchet mechanism, but in a phone call to RCBS, I was told that the LAM II could not be retrofitted for the ratchet. If you can find a 1/2" drive 1/4" hex socket, it should just fit on the top of the lube screw shaft. You can drill a hole in the socket to pin it to the screw shaft and use a 1/4" Chapman ratchet.
If you can't find a 1/2" drive hex socket, use a 3/8 drive and 1/2 x 3/8 adapter.

carpetman
07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
You cannot just change the bolt to convert a new style to the old style ( old style ratchet--new style toggle) the bolts dont interchange. So if you have the new style you have to adapt the bolt to a ratchet. As Maven said, my gunsmith did my conversion by milling a hex on the bolt. I think a person could do a workable job of this with file and hacksaw but having it milled would look more professional. BTW when I converted mine I told RCBS what I was doing and they sent me the bolt and the ratchet---no charge of course.

smokemjoe
07-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks fellows for the ideas, I called RCBS and cant convert it to the old style. I think I have a old screw from a old lubor, Think I may drill and tap the new one and put some of the old top into it and have the rachet set up again. Thanks- Joe