PDA

View Full Version : 7.7 Jap load

rayg
07-04-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm playing around trying to get the 311413 bullet to work in the 7.7. Jap. I stated the problems I had with flyers and how I finally tried sizing the bullet with a .311 sizing die but leaving half of the bullet at the size it came out of the mold which was about .315. see towards the end of my post, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=32262

Anyway I realized the bore of the rifle I was shooting it in is not .311 as I said but about .314, (bad memory), no wonder there were flyers. The bullets out of the mold as mentioned are .315.

Just out of curiosity I checked one of my fired cases and discovered the neck of the fired case was a perfect fit for the unsized right out of the mold .315 dia bullet.
So I decided to just crimp the gas checks on and hand lubed the unsized bullets and seat and crimp them in the unsized fired case over 18 grs of I-2742 powder.

I loaded up ten rds this way and off to the range next week to see how they work,

I would think that by not having to size the cases that the cases would last a long time.

Does anyone see a problem with seating the bullets in un-sized/untouched fired cases which cases would be fired in the same rifle each time?
Ray

Ricochet
07-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Nope.

Some will tell you there has to be at least .001" clearance between the case neck and chamber to allow for case expansion to release the bullet, but I believe that to be an issue only with jacketed bullets that can bond to the case metal. With a lubricated lead bullet and no crimp, it should be able to slide straight out of an unexpanded case neck without running pressures up too high.

fireflyfather
07-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Isn't that what those schutzen shooters do? Fire from an unsized case?

rayg
07-04-2008, 10:31 PM
I did lightly crimp the bullet, I didn't think about the pressure situation. However I don't think a light load of 18 grs of I-2742 would create that much pressure. Also it's being fired in a Japanese T-99 which can handle lot of pressure. Anyone think there would be a problem? Ray

Ricochet
07-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Nope.

bruce drake
07-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Nope. Enjoy the shooting. One of my two T99's has a .314 bore as well. The other is sitting at .311 in diameter. One of the reasons we slug our bores is so we can match the bullet to the barrel.

I resize 8mm (Herters copy of the Ideal 180gr Spitzer or my LEE 170gr RN) bullets down to .314 when I want to shoot that rifle.

Enjoy the shooting.

What Cheer
07-05-2008, 01:29 AM
The reference to schuetzen rifle shooters using the same unsized case for each shot is correct. However we breech seat the bullet into the barrel ahead of the cartridge case.

This does allow for long case life, most of us will use the same case for a whole season of shooting, several hundred rounds.

Best regards,

What Cheer

flinter62
07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
If you want to see some real fliers put some 308 dia. in it !!!! Don't ask how i know.

TCLouis
07-08-2008, 08:48 PM
I am lucky enough that I can shoot jacketed .308s in my 99.
Cut down one bullet size I had to stock. Blue Dot works very well with 130 SSP. in direc proportion to most accurate load in the 30-06.

Plan to get some cast downrange this month out of the Type 99.