PDA

View Full Version : New mold for my springfield XD Tactical

ravelode
02-25-2017, 12:57 PM
I have an old model Springfield XD Tactical .45, which will not feed any semi-wadcutters (specifically my SAECO 130) under any circumstances. It feeds RN RCBS and RNFP LEE just fine. I understand it's a slide design issue that has been addressed in newer models. My question is will my new SAECO 67 TC work or did I Just waste $110? It's too cold snowy for me to do any casting for at least a month and I'm a little anxious.

35remington
02-25-2017, 01:09 PM
Tell us precisely how it jams with SWC's and we will be better able to answer the question. "It won't feed with SWC's" is less than helpful info.

You have to be able to distinguish the kind of jams occurring to know why it's occurring. So do we in diagnosing any problem or advising about future likelihood of feeding correctly. Specifics about OAL are helpful.

ravelode
02-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Jams by catching on the shoulder of the SWC, regardless of seating depth. it shoves the loaded cartridge back down into the magazine on the recoil portion of the cycle. I understand the newer models have a hump added on the bottom of the slide to press the top loaded cartridge down during cycling. the RN and RNFP are guided by the ogive and never hang up. I just wondering if the truncated cone has enough material in the ogive area to feed properly. this problem is specific to this model partly because it's the only XD model which has a slide mounted manual safety.

RobS
02-26-2017, 12:01 PM
The TC mold will work however you will likely need to seat the boolit short so the full diameter front drive band does not hit the short throat of the barrel. I had the older tactical Springfield XD and then the Mod 2 sub-compact. The change to the new slide, Springfield put a small bump on the underneath side. Left is the newer slide change.

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag17/Tx308/IMG_20150223_1708442_500x_zps8d6d452f.jpg (http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/Tx308/media/IMG_20150223_1708442_500x_zps8d6d452f.jpg.html)

This bump pushes the round down enough so it does not bind on SWC's. The TC design will work however at a very short COAL (around 1.20" give or take a little) unless your barrel has a better throat cut in it than all the other XD's that I've seen.

35remington
02-26-2017, 02:39 PM
Then as long as your bullet has no shoulder you are good to go with the TC. The transition from full caliber to bullet nose shape must not be abrupt.....no 90 degree angles. The shallower angles of a RNFP or 230 factory HP are the idea.

The TC bullet should be closer to RNFP than semiwadcutter.

The idea for autoloaders, though, is to have a bullet have a curve rather than a shoulder from the full caliber section to the tip. Here I am thinking of all 45 designs, older to newer.

ravelode
02-27-2017, 04:49 PM
Thanks got a few cast and am anxious to try them.

mjwcaster
02-28-2017, 10:51 AM
Springfield first added the bump with the xdm.
There was a long thread on xdtalk years ago dealing with this.
A guy had tried everything and was getting ready to modify the slide (weld up and machine?).
Right before he tried that the xdm came out.
He took one look at it, bought one and gave up on modifying his XD.

As far as TC, I run the Lee 452-230-TC.
Sized to .452", actual size runs ~.452# - .453"
Runs great as long as I seat the body flush with the case mouth.
Even sticking out a little caused issues.

The XD has an abrupt transition into the rifling, and if part of the body sticks out it gets jammed into the rifling.

Once I got seating figured out, I ran about 5k of them through the XD last year.

Eats them like candy.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

DougGuy
03-02-2017, 12:53 AM
Send the barrels this way for throating! Don't fight with one that is so tight you can't plunk a .452" unless is is so deep in the case that none of the boolit is out front of the case. They run like a singer sewing machine afterwards, and you can seat out longer which makes feeding much easier..

Stock Springfield RO barrel on left, there is NO throat at all, this causes a LOT of issues with cast boolits of any style, same barrel on the right after throating:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Cylinder%20Services/1f06c85f-3c7d-434b-9061-ca061af26de9_zps0aqi32iq.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Cylinder%20Services/1f06c85f-3c7d-434b-9061-ca061af26de9_zps0aqi32iq.jpg.html)

ravelode
03-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Well I finally got some cast lubed with TAC1 and loaded with 4.4 grs of Titegroup loaded with .02 of the driving band showing above the case mine has been shot enough (10K rounds almost all my cast boolits) to where I can seat them out a bit. Functions perfectly, the shooting area was 3" deep mud so I didn't stay long or try for groups. Those of you who own older Springfield XD's the SAECO 67 is a good bullet to use.