PDA

View Full Version : Hawkeye Bore scope questions

Hannibal
02-25-2017, 03:25 AM
This might be better suited to the 'Equipment Reviews' section, but I thought this section might be viewed by more bore scope owners. Sorry if I posted it incorrectly . . . .

Anyway, I plan to purchase a borescope, and it appears Hawkeye sets the standard for this application. My questions are, to those of you who own and/or use a borescope :

-Do you find the 17" model sufficient for any inspection work you do on rifles, or have/do you wish you had purchased the 22" version?

-The Supernova light. Seems overkill to me, but perhaps there are instances where this is helpful/necessary?

-The angled eyepiece. I have read of users stating that this feature is very helpful when viewing the bore off a bi-pod. And I suppose that's true. But I can not think of a situation where viewing off a bi-pod would be the only/best option as opposed to placing the firearm on a bench. (?) perhaps I'm missing something . . .

-Is there anything you wish you had known about borescopes and/or borescope accessories that you had known before you made your purchase?

A Hawkeye borescope will be a significant investment for me in the tool/equipment department, so I want to make the correct choice the first time. Thanks for any insight/advice anyone will share.

UKShootist
02-25-2017, 04:41 AM
The only comment I can offer is that using one to look down the barrel of your favourite firearm will like as not break your heart.

Sasquatch-1
02-25-2017, 07:35 AM
I bought a very cheap bore scope on Amazon that hooks up to a computer works very well plus gives you the option of capturing the video or stills. I think I paid less then $15.00 to the door.

If there is a way to put the software on your phone I think it could be hooked a smart phone.

country gent
02-25-2017, 11:09 AM
My Hawkeye is an early version has the mag lite straight eye piece and rotating mirror tube. Its 17" version and does very well for me. My only real complaint is on semi auto, pumps, and lever actions to look in from the breech end the barrel needs to be pulled from the receiver. Looking in from the muzzle gives a good idea though. I try to get the rifle or barrel in the vise on my bench for a solid mount. At the range I'm very cautious about using it with out a cradle or solid sand bags. The optics don't take to bending very well. the glass optics tend to break when bent or sprung. I use mine to check in dies, bores, and any holes I need to see in. Its a usefull tool and very handy to have. A friend had his damaged in a fire and hawkeye replaced it free of charge also.

Hannibal
02-25-2017, 11:22 AM
I bought a very cheap bore scope on Amazon that hooks up to a computer works very well plus gives you the option of capturing the video or stills. I think I paid less then $15.00 to the door.

If there is a way to put the software on your phone I think it could be hooked a smart phone.

I tried one of these, and while better than nothing, it's usefulness is very limited. It's worth about what it cost, in my experience.

Norbrat
02-25-2017, 12:10 PM
I have the 17" version with angled eyepiece and it has been fine for what I need.

I reckon the angled eyepiece is worthwhile; it makes it much easier to use with the gun lying on a bench.

The standard Mini Maglite is easily updated with a LED globe kit from eBay and makes a huge difference in the amount and colour of the light.

The only comment I can offer is that using one to look down the barrel of your favourite firearm will like as not break your heart.

Yep, true that!

But others surprise, like the Ruger Single Six with over 30k rounds through it and you can still see the machining marks in the barrel.

colchester
02-25-2017, 08:54 PM
I have the 17" version as well, works very well you just look at the bore from both ends to view the entire barrel. I would recommend the angled eyepiece it helps in viewing barrels without removing from the stock, worth the extra $$ IMO. I cant speak to the upgraded light bt I have heard the same as posted above that you can use the led maglight upgrade. More light would be a benefit. It is a handy tool

contender1
02-26-2017, 12:52 PM
I too have a borescope. Mine is older & can't be transferred to a computer or anything. So,, peering through an eyepiece,, and trying to determine exactly where everything is,, etc takes a bit of practice. They work,, and were state of the art when I bought mine.
That said,,, I recently bought the Lyman borescope with the digital screen. Less expensive than the Hawkeye,, and so far,,, I find I'm using it more than the Hawkeye. You can also download the info to an SD card & view it on the computer.

Just an alternative idea to consider.

Hannibal
02-26-2017, 03:34 PM
I too have a borescope. Mine is older & can't be transferred to a computer or anything. So,, peering through an eyepiece,, and trying to determine exactly where everything is,, etc takes a bit of practice. They work,, and were state of the art when I bought mine.
That said,,, I recently bought the Lyman borescope with the digital screen. Less expensive than the Hawkeye,, and so far,,, I find I'm using it more than the Hawkeye. You can also download the info to an SD card & view it on the computer.

Just an alternative idea to consider.

I have seen those, but quality tools usually reflect that in the price, so I was hesitant to consider the Lyman. One of my biggest questions is, I believe the Hawkeye provides a magnification, 25x I think I read.(?). Does the Lyman magnify the image?

Ah, well I just searched some Lyman Borecam reviews and it appears that the angled mirror is a reflective-coated plastic. This I presume is the same type of material I encountered with the $15 endoscope I tried off EBay. I'm not going to be able to accept that, and if the 'mirror' gets damaged, then it's not going to be very useful to me. I hope you have good luck with yours though, thanks for the suggestion.

contender1
02-26-2017, 10:21 PM
You are correct in the magnification part. And yes,,, the Lyman is not the same quality as the Hawkeye. BUT,,, what I have found is it is an excellent tool that is easier to see things with due to the screen & not having to keep my head stuck to an eyepiece. A lot more comfortable & convenient. BUT<,,, if you need to see micro details,,, then by all means,, the Hawkeye is much better. I guess using both here has made me appreciate both types.

Hannibal
02-27-2017, 11:05 AM
You are correct in the magnification part. And yes,,, the Lyman is not the same quality as the Hawkeye. BUT,,, what I have found is it is an excellent tool that is easier to see things with due to the screen & not having to keep my head stuck to an eyepiece. A lot more comfortable & convenient. BUT<,,, if you need to see micro details,,, then by all means,, the Hawkeye is much better. I guess using both here has made me appreciate both types.

Thank you for the reply. I am interested in the fine details, so I believe the Hawkeye is the correct choice for me. The angled eyepiece is a fairly expensive accessory, so I'm still trying to decide if I want it. Perhaps I will order a scope and order the eye piece later if I decide I want it. (?).

Gamsek
02-27-2017, 12:16 PM
189174https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170227/a76fe8b49bf80af4e79fb5ecb11facb9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170227/70a0e310156147d974ff1cf5ec58c916.jpg

Clearity of Hawkeye is amazing....easy to take photos with adaptor...