PDA

View Full Version : S&W 38 top break DA 4 series liad question

milsurpaddict
02-24-2017, 11:35 PM
Looking for load dara or feasability to load this round. I would think that a small charge would not over pressure these guns. Moreover is the .361 diameter required or can one use the 38 special diameter cast.
Thanks for help

Outpost75
02-25-2017, 02:05 AM
In the .38 S&W revolvers I use the Accurate 36-151H bullet which duplicates the .38 Colt New Police.

2 grains of Bullseye is fine for the top-break guns, 2.5 grains in the solid frame revolvers.

reddog81
02-25-2017, 10:54 AM
It should work. As long as the brass will hold the bullet it will shoot fine. I've shot mine without any problems using light loads. 2 grains of Bullseye behind a 148 HBWC works well. I seat the HBWC out of the case and not flush like you typically would. I've used other cast bullets before. I just use unsized bullets.

A bullet that fits the cylinder throats and bore will be more accurate but an undersized bullet isn't going to hurt anything.

These older guns are more fragile and more in theory could break at any time. I wouldnt plan on shooting box after box of ammo on a regular basis. But I've put a couple of boxes of ammo through the ones I own.