PDA

View Full Version : 1876 Centennial Rifle Twist

Guy La Pourque
02-24-2017, 07:34 PM
I just had an extra Lee Shaver Soule sight kicking around and thunk it might actually look good on a Uberti 1876 lever gun I have in the bottle necked .45-75.

Have any of you guys done that? If so how did it work for you...?

OlDeuce
02-25-2017, 01:10 AM
I just had an extra Lee Shaver Soule sight kicking around and thunk it might actually look good on a Uberti 1876 lever gun I have in the bottle necked .45-75.

Have any of you guys done that? If so how did it work for you...?

Not sure on the twist ????Maybe 1:20 ...... I have the Uberti 1876 in 45-60 and it sure shoots good!!! Ol Deuce

missionary5155
02-25-2017, 07:34 AM
Greetings
Have a 50-95 that First had a tang sight on... but quickly realized the 350 grainer I prefer to fire had a very nice rainbow just out to 300 yards. So went to a full buckhorn rear that gives me all I need out to 200 yards which is the real hunting range for that rifle off cross sticks.
The 45-60 is the same... a good full buckhorn rear does all I need out to 150 yards.
Mike in Peru

Guy La Pourque
02-25-2017, 09:40 PM
I'm sorry fellas - I didn't think many people bothered with Soule sights on lever guns and I was doing something unusual and unique! :)

Deuce can you cycle the rifle without that sight interfering?

Missionary if you can hit at 200 yards you are a better man than I. My blackpowder and cast boolit guns are pretty much for the range where I spend my time. I could probably hunt with them ... but I have better guns for that. These days I pretty much shoot mostly for fun anyways. If I were to hunt with mine my shots will be 100 yards and under. My old eyes just aren't that good with irons anymore... :(

Rick B
02-26-2017, 12:35 AM
I shoot a 1876 Winchester in 45-75. It wears a Montana Vintage Arms Mid Range Soule Sight with a Hadley eye cup. I also installed one of their aperture front sights. Gives you a really good sight picture, no question about the shooting results. If the shot looks good and it went somewhere else it's time to try a different powder charge or bullet. Also moving back and forth to different known ranges is very repeatable. If the wind or load is causing you windage issues a quick turn on the Soule windage knobs and your right there. I have a number of additional bases and move the Soule staff from one rifle to the next, just dial the dope in and your ready to go. Once you spend a day or two shooting one, you will ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner.
Rick

Rick B
02-26-2017, 12:40 AM
Nice looking rifle.
Rick

OlDeuce
02-26-2017, 04:26 PM
I'm sorry fellas - I didn't think many people bothered with Soule sights on lever guns and I was doing something unusual and unique! :)

Deuce can you cycle the rifle without that sight interfering?

Missionary if you can hit at 200 yards you are a better man than I. My blackpowder and cast boolit guns are pretty much for the range where I spend my time. I could probably hunt with them ... but I have better guns for that. These days I pretty much shoot mostly for fun anyways. If I were to hunt with mine my shots will be 100 yards and under. My old eyes just aren't that good with irons anymore... :(

Guy.. It cycles fine.... and my old eyes needs the Soule sights! I bought the large Hadley eye cup for mine!!! And your '76 is way more than a 100yrd. rifle!! No issue out to the Buffalo 300gr cast and BP or Smokeless does good! Rick B. thinks on the same line when it comes to sights :-) :-)

Ol Deuce

Guy La Pourque
02-26-2017, 09:08 PM
Well now I am just cranked to get started. I'm a new Boolit caster, with a new rifle and a bunch of new stuff to learn! Thanks for all your help fellas!

hpbear101
02-26-2017, 09:49 PM
189145189146I use this J.A. Keller Mfg. tang sight on a 86 45-70. It is not a long range sight as it has about the same elevation adjustment as the barrel sight, but it does make target work much easier on older eyes. The staff is short enough that when it is folded forward it will lye flat against the hammer.

OlDeuce
03-08-2017, 03:25 AM
My Henry and my 1894 189980

Ol deuce

OlDeuce
03-08-2017, 03:27 AM
All my shooters have the tang sight :-) ...........Ol Deuce