PDA

View Full Version : best cucumber to grow to get a lot of them

johnson1942
02-24-2017, 12:13 PM
ok you gardeners, with the 100/s of types of cucumbers, what is the name of the best one for my garden to grow for slicers that are good to eat and really produce? too many out there to figure it out. cant wait to here from you all.

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-24-2017, 01:26 PM
With your location you have a much shorter growing season than some. Take that into account. I have the same challenge here in northern NM as my yard is at 7,400 ft elev. I had good luck last year, but just looked for the seed packet without success.

Teddy (punchie)
02-24-2017, 04:00 PM
Marketmore is okay. nice 5"-7" cucumber

Don't let any age on plant must keep them picked, let one get too old and plant will shut down.

Years ago we planted Marketer but it has been 30 years sense I have seen any seeds.

farmerjim
02-24-2017, 04:40 PM
If you want a standard slicer go with Dasher II.
If you want a burpless go with sweet slice.
If you want a long english burpless try sweet success.

dondiego
02-24-2017, 05:11 PM
The local feed mill that sells seeds will usually carry a type that does well in your area.

too many things
02-24-2017, 05:35 PM
the green house type like you see in wrap at stores they grow very fast , but need a fence to climb but work very good
check ---TERRITORIAL seed on line
they are called 'english' but when you pick is where they go .

xdmalder
02-24-2017, 05:44 PM
I would go with Straight Eight. It's the only one I even try to grow anymore

Houndog
02-24-2017, 06:28 PM
I don't know if they will work in your area but we raise the small pickling cucumbers. They only grow to between 4 and 6 inches long but have a mild taste if eaten raw and they make the best pickles I've ever had.

kenyerian
02-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Hard to beat.

johnson1942
02-24-2017, 08:23 PM
i saw on you tube that many are now growing cucumbers and training them to grow on tomato towers. im going to try that this year and it may help with the slug problem and will be easier to pick. you cant go wrong with any one of the suggestions and i think i will get some marketmore and straight eight seed as well as a good english cucumber. many years ago there was a small sweet german cucumber like the one suggested that was out of this world good. it may have another name now but was it good and prolific and sweet. both for table use and pickles. maybe the diva one today is like that but i dont know. the germans had a red radish that was superior also but i dont see that one anymore also. i know this, my wife and i cant wait for the cucumbers to start coming to the table. when i was a kid and the cucumbers came to the table, no one talked and all you heard was crunch crunch crunch with smiles on every one faces. their was only one way to fix them in those old days for us up north. sliced thin with equal amounts of sliced thin onion. then mix real cream with a little apple cider vinegar and a little sugar or honey and some black pepper mixed in. nothing but crunch crunch crunch and no talking. i still eat them that way and love it. also this has nothing to do with cucumbers but if you like tomato sandwitches there are two tomatos you need to grow and you will be in hog heaven. misses (missspelled) maxwells italian tomato or brandy boy. they both are potato leaf tomatoes and are on the pink red side in color. they are big and reliable and man do they taste good. nothing better than these two for tomato sandwhiches. you can tell spring is coming as im getting restless.

chuckbuster
02-24-2017, 08:31 PM
a little late into this game but a 3rd vote for straight 8

kevin

farmerjim
02-24-2017, 09:05 PM
I grow mine on a 6 1/2 foot high 300 feet long fence. I move it to a new row each year. I use 8 foot metal fence posts to hold it up.

Geezer in NH
02-24-2017, 11:18 PM
Another vote for straight 8's. I grow them on a fence also.

MaryB
02-25-2017, 01:59 AM
Straight 8 here too, they did very well last year. I just let them grow out into the lawn from whatever end of the garden I put them on.

johnson1942
02-25-2017, 05:37 PM
im going to try strait eights for sure along with marketmores.

Lloyd Smale
02-27-2017, 10:49 AM
me too

308Jeff
02-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Going to give the Straight Eights a shot here in AZ.

dale2242
02-28-2017, 07:59 AM
Our favorite slicer is the Sundance. It is burpless.
It is a climber so I train it on an 18"X18"X36" trainer.
The only place I have found the seeds is online from Territorial......dale

Hickory
02-28-2017, 08:10 AM
Straight Eight grows very well here in Ohio, but there are many other good to great cucumbers out there.

Blanket
03-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Keep them out of the wind

427smith
03-01-2017, 09:37 PM
strait eights are ok, in my opinion "marketmore 76" are better so I agree with TEDDY. 5 to 8 inches or so still have small seeds and taste great. 3 hills with 4 or 5 seeds each and regular water yields between 5 and 7 pounds daily in the best part of our season here in Iowa.