PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 help

abunaitoo
02-24-2017, 04:07 AM
After many years, I finally tried my Lyman 450. I also have a 45, but thought I'd try the 450 first.
I think I might be having a problem with it.
Using Lars Carnuba red, base heater, 310 die, Lyman 311359 boolet.
I'm not getting good fill-out of the groves, and lube on the nose.
Probably something simple, but first time I'm using it.

Iron Whittler
02-24-2017, 06:20 AM
Sounds like you are pushing your boolit in to far. Try raising your stop underneath. This will raise your bullet up. If you go too far in, you pass up the top driving band of your boolit and allow the lube to flow onto the nose area and loose lube pressure to fill lube grooves. Hope this helps. Dennis:Fire::castmine:

Sasquatch-1
02-24-2017, 06:58 AM
As far as the fill out, are you using a Lyman die with 4 holes on 2 sides? Or a RCBS that has holes on 4 sides? I have a Lyman that has only 2 sets of lube holes and I find that I need to adjust the pressure plunger much more frequently then the RCBS to get good fill out. This is with a .429 .430 size bullet.

Mitch
02-24-2017, 11:46 AM
I agree could be pushing the booloit in to far.do not move the adjustment to far at a time.is it leaking anywhere?is the pison turning and not building enough pressure?(new piston orings)is the luber warm enough for the carnuba red?.other than that get use to swearing at it.save up and get a star.this is what I am doing.the progressive loader comes fist tho lol.I have been told by several people now .the pregression it lymne 45 then 450 then a rcbs LAM.then seel them all and get a star.i am going to skip a step

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Setting the depth:
While the Die is out of the press, I align the lube ports of the die to the lube grooves as best I can (eyeball), then mark a sample boolit as how far I want it to go into the die.
That gives me a starting point to adjusting the depth.
There almost always needs some fine tuning of the depth stop.
* sometimes, you need to push the boolit in deeper to fully size the front driving band.
** sometimes, I will plug some of the holes, if I get troublesome excess lube on the boolit nose and/or base (some dies have more holes than needed).

Lastly, I pre-heat the boolits also, when I'm using a lube that needs a heater.

abunaitoo
02-25-2017, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys
I'll give it a try next time.

Shiloh
03-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Look where the lube holes are in relationship to the top of the die. As stated, you go past the holes you lube the nose of the boolit. It is an adjustment depth question.

Shiloh

abunaitoo
03-07-2017, 04:17 AM
I removed the die and matched the holes up to the lube grooves.
Adjusted the stop screw on the bottom.
Seems to be much better now.
Set up time is longer than with pan lubing.

jlnel2
03-11-2017, 06:28 PM
I just got a 450... hope I don't have to tinker with it to much.

Duckiller
03-14-2017, 03:46 PM
Heat? Not too much, just enough to fill grooves. Lars' carnuba red works great in my 450. Just needs a little heat and the right depthfor the boolit.