PDA

View Full Version : My new cleaning method

54bore
02-23-2017, 11:56 PM
I watched a YouTube video awhile back of a Steam Cleaner by Pedersoli, i see that Buffalo Arms carries the Pedersoli unit and it is really spendy! I came up with my own version that works exactly the same. This is a slick way to clean a Muzzleloader!!

54bore
02-24-2017, 12:01 AM
Here is a link to Pedersoli's steam cleaner

https://youtu.be/kYSj92UasZU (https://youtu.be/kYSj92UasZU)
https://youtu.be/zMJkDmsf3j8

54bore
02-24-2017, 12:14 AM
Pedersoli's unit is 700 bucks, mine was 40.00 and does the exact same thing. I used a piece of high heat silicone tubing, and a 1/4-28 nipple from a blackout flush kit (the nipple is wide open) you can easily modify a junk nipple by drilling it out. Its amazing the power and effectiveness of steam cleaning!! Pedersoli's is a messy way in my opinion, my way is super simple and not messy! Just hold the barrel pointed down and press the lever, let it steam and run til clear, then run a dry patch or 2 thru the barrel to help dry (the barrel is heated from the steam and dries any remaining water quickly) then run an oily patch down the barrel to protect. Pull the lock and place it on a towel, swap out to another attachment and steam clean the lock, hammer, and hammer face good, oil to protect and put it back together. Simple and HIGHLY EFFECTIVE!! My little steamer came with different attachments, you can literally pin point an area, such as the hammer face, etc. Pretty darn cool! Or hot

Edward
02-24-2017, 12:32 AM
Not interested in the $700.00 cleaner ,but sure would like to know the brand /contact info for the $40.00 cleaner /Thanks Ed

tigweldit
02-24-2017, 12:32 AM
This looks really promising. Nice job 54bore.

54bore
02-24-2017, 12:50 AM
I did quite a bit of research on these little hand held steamers and found there are a TON of them out there (I'd bet they are all made in the same chinese factory) I just went on Amazon and looked at reviews, the one i bought got really good reviews. Mine is called a 'Gideon Hand held steam cleaner' it comes with several attachments, everything you need and then some.

54bore
02-24-2017, 01:07 AM
My little steam cleaners tank capacity is only 12 OZ, but will run over 30 minutes on a tank. The Temp controller says 270 degrees, rated power is 900-1050 Watts, and has a 9ft power cord. The amount of steam this thing puts out is amazing! It takes mine 1 minute on a 6 OZ tank (half full) to be up to full operating temp and ready to use, thats fast! It has a light on the bottom that goes out when its ready to go.

dondiego
02-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Do you have to remove the barrel to use this cleaner?

54bore
02-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Do you have to remove the barrel to use this cleaner?

No, not unless you wanted to. My chosen cleaning method involves removing the barrel, and lock assembly. But this would work AWESOME for you Trad guys that dont like to remove your barrels. Not sure how you would adapt to go in a Flint liner? I shoot percussion and know nothing about Flinters, but it Should be easy to figure something out? This steam cleaning is the Cats Meow in my opinion!

sharps4590
02-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Rather clever, well done sir! Hard to beat boiling...or steaming hot water to clean BP.

54bore
02-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Rather clever, well done sir! Hard to beat boiling...or steaming hot water to clean BP.

Some folks dont like to use Hot water, i have cleaned my rifles both ways, with hot, and straight tap water, i couldn't tell a difference? If using HOT water with a blued barrel you can get flash rust if you dont wipe the excess off quick. I shoot paper patched and sized bullets in my guns (No lube) Bore cleanup in my rifles is simple, especially my Stainless .50 Green Mountain LRH barrel. This little steam cleaner just made things even easier. Plus you can do your windows in your house when you are done, there's an attachment specifically for that as well! LOL

FrontierMuzzleloading
02-24-2017, 08:27 PM
lmao wow, way to technical for even me.

tomme boy
02-24-2017, 08:38 PM
Neat! I had one TC barrel that would flash rust if you used hot water. If it was warm it was OK but Hot it would have the flash rust. All of my others don't do it. Maybe the alloy was a little off for that lot of steel they made the barrel out of???

FrontierMuzzleloading
02-24-2017, 08:45 PM
sounds reasonable Tomme.

I just started testing a new lube I may introduce on my site, but the point, I used HOT soapy water to clean the bore with, then another HOT bucket of plain water to flush everything else out and had zero flash rust. I think some of the flash rust folks may be seeing could be from fouling still working its way out and leaving a discoloring from patch/bullet lube.

Gewehr-Guy
02-24-2017, 08:59 PM
I think I'll thread a45-70 case's primer pocket for a nipple or small hose barb and clean my trapdoor and R-Block, could even clean a Mosin - Nagant after corrosive surplus ammo.

Fly
02-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Man great idea. I,m going to look into that, thanks!

Fly

country gent
02-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Ive seen the steam cleaner by pedersoli and wondered about it. At its price point I could see it as a club cleaner with use during matches. I have use tubing into a bucket of hot water and pumping it into the barrel with a tight patch and jag. I may look into this as I see many uses for it. While I don't shoot a lot of muzzle loaders I do shoot quite a bit of BPCR and a set up with modified cases might work well for cleaning them.

tomme boy
02-24-2017, 11:18 PM
I was getting it even on the outside of the barrel. But like I said it was just with that one barrel.

When I clean mine, I have the breach end in a pot of boiling water. I pour the water down the barrel and use the range rod with a fairly tight patch to draw the water up and down the barrel. It dries almost immediately when taken out of the water. Then I use my air compressor to blow out the nipple and the whole barrel to make sure of no water is left over. Then I run a few patches with Lucas gun oil in and out. I have never had a problem doing it this way. I also come back after a couple days and run some clean patches to make sure there is nothing left behind. Then reoil it and put it away.

Frontier tell me about your lube

54bore
02-24-2017, 11:27 PM
Then I run a few patches with Lucas gun oil in and out.

I use this same oil, good stuff!! I recently started using the new version of Rem oil, its in a pump bottle, not the stuff in the aresol can. I like it better than anything i have ever used

tomme boy
02-25-2017, 01:41 AM
I have not seen that yet. Might as well find some. I have about 20 other types sitting around. I am sure the others will enjoy the company!

Col4570
02-25-2017, 04:19 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/002-28.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/002-28.jpg.html)
This is my set up for Steam Cleaning,I agree it does a good Job to flush out that crud.Also dries the barrel ready for oiling whilst still hot.

Sasquatch-1
02-25-2017, 07:18 AM
I watch the video that Pedersoli has on their site. The person in the video was cleaning brass and I was wondering if that is enough heat to anneal the mouth of brass cases without drawing down into the web?

54bore
02-25-2017, 07:35 AM
This is my set up for Steam Cleaning,I agree it does a good Job to flush out that crud.Also dries the barrel ready for oiling whilst still hot.

I was actually looking at the bigger ones in the beginning, i was figuring on using it for everything around the house. This little fella will fill my gun cleaning bill well, i wouldn't attempt to clean a living room carpet with it tho, come to think about it this little one is the PERFECT unit LOL! How long does that one run before it kicks into recovery mode, and how long does it take to recover and be back to full operating temp? Is that 110volt or 230?

rfd
02-25-2017, 08:10 AM
i think that steam cleaning has its place - for those barrels that have been neglected for proper care from day one. they will NEED the steam.

"proper care" means taking care of business ASAP. though some do, i do not leave any guns in a loaded state, not ever.

for me, this means after a shooting session - range, or woods walk, or hunting - as soon as the shooting or whatever stops and it's time to pack up, and real cleaning isn't gonna get done for what might be quite a few hours, the barrel/chamber/vent get flushed with jagged patches soaked wet with either "moose milk" or LVL. these solutions contain water soluble oil to prevent rust/corrosion. the solutions get compressed via that patched jag and blow out the vent (or nipple for you cap lock folks). i also like to leave the wet patched jag/rod down the barrel. this is all fine for the hours, not days, before getting to do it "right".

the "right" cleaning - for me - means flushing out with plain tap water and a *tight* patched jag - the pure water should eventually flow out *clean*, with no signs of bp residue. followed up by drying patches. followed up by an oily patch to preserve. if the barrel can easily be removed (hooked breech and barrel wedges) i do that and plop the ignition end in a pail of water as the patched jag pumps aqua in and outta the barrel. the lock is ALWAYS pulled off, set in a bowl/pail/whatever of water (hot or cold) and left there 'til the barrel gets taken care of first. back to the lock with a tooth brush and tepid water flushing, pat dry with paper or cloth toweling, fully spritzed with wd40 (or most any oil via spray or rag), patted off (not dry) with paper towels. i use a pin point needle oiler (break free clp, or whatever) to apply a pin point drop of oil to all bearing surfaces, inside and outside of the lock. assemble the barrel and lock. done.

seems like a heckuva lotta work, but it really ain't. and no steam cleaning required.

54bore
02-25-2017, 08:45 AM
This is the bigger unit i was first looking at, it looks quite similiar to the one above, 'McCulloch MC1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner'

I stil might get this unit, i figured for the price of the little handheld I couldn't go wrong, i could test it and see what i thought? You can obviously do alot more with a bigger unit, amount of time you can run continuous steam before the unit needs to recover etc. i can tell you this little cheap hand held does a HECK of a good job, and its fast! Only takes a minute to be up to full operating temp, you are limited to the amount of continuous steam tho, i am not sure that anything more is needed for cleaning barrels, gun parts etc.

jjarrell
02-25-2017, 09:18 AM
That's pretty slick! It would make cleaning less of a chore.

54bore
02-26-2017, 09:49 AM
That's pretty slick!

That was my first thought!

Fly
02-26-2017, 12:51 PM
I wonder how that thing would work on smokeless powder fire arms?

Fly

54bore
02-27-2017, 06:20 AM
I wonder how that thing would work on smokeless powder fire arms?

Fly

Fly, I'm sure it would work fine? But I'm not sure where it would be needed on Smokeless powder guns? Cleaning grease and oil off parts to work on etc. would work REALLY good.

54bore
02-27-2017, 08:29 AM
lmao wow, way to technical for even me.

Can you change a Car Tire? If not you should DEFINITELY avoid a steam cleaner! Might burn your Toenails

washbuster
03-01-2017, 05:56 PM
Made one up today .Tried after shooting,Worked great,.Takes less time and It is squeaky Clean. Just remember to use a good oil in the barrel.

Fly
03-02-2017, 05:08 AM
I bought one off Amazon also different brand. I tried on my rossi ranch hand smokless & it works on that too.

Fly

54bore
03-02-2017, 05:50 AM
I'd be willing to bet there are a few fella's that are to proud to say they bought one of these after i started this thread! LOL

peter72
03-02-2017, 06:23 AM
Thanks for posting. I was only just enquiring the other day about the Pedersoli turbo cleaner. I found out the cost and that put me off. Now I'll go out and get a portable steam cleaner.
You're going to save me along $900.00 AUD.
:)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

M-Tecs
03-02-2017, 06:34 AM
http://www.mccullochsteam.com/products/MC1275-Canister-Steam-Cleaner

https://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC1275-Heavy-Duty-Steam-Cleaner/dp/B0000DF0RB

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-915-0282014-500-Watt-Demand/dp/B003PGQI3Y/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1488450816&sr=1-9&keywords=Steam+Cleaner

54bore
03-02-2017, 07:46 AM
http://www.mccullochsteam.com/products/MC1275-Canister-Steam-Cleaner

https://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC1275-Heavy-Duty-Steam-Cleaner/dp/B0000DF0RB

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-915-0282014-500-Watt-Demand/dp/B003PGQI3Y/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1488450816&sr=1-9&keywords=Steam+Cleaner

Thanks for the Links M-Tecs! That is the first time I've seen the Wagner one? It gets good reviews, if i hadn't already bought this little one that i did i would most definitely go with one of these 2 bigger units! This little one works REALLY good, but these bigger units would allow longer run time before recovery etc. a better way to go in my opinion.

reloader4410
03-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Been using one with windex & vinager I don't worry about flash rust as the barrel is to hot to touch, when the barrel cools off I do run a patch to check then oil, make sure to lean the gun so nipple , touch hole water don't get on the gun stock. Happy Trails.

peter72
03-02-2017, 08:34 AM
A potentially stupid question, but with the rubber hose on the end of the stream cleaner, wouldn't it flap around uncontrollably when pressure is applied?

54bore
03-02-2017, 10:00 AM
A potentially stupid question, but with the rubber hose on the end of the stream cleaner, wouldn't it flap around uncontrollably when pressure is applied?

No, The stuff i used is Silicone high heat tubing, they make all sorts of cooking utensils now days out of Silicone. There is obviously a point it would break down, but not from a steam cleaner

Patrolman
03-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Any leads on where to find Silicone high heat tubing?

oldred
03-02-2017, 10:51 AM
The person in the video was cleaning brass and I was wondering if that is enough heat to anneal the mouth of brass cases without drawing down into the web?

Cleaning brass yes but annealing, no not even close.

I am thinking this might be a neat trick for rust bluing however since steam is known to work even better than boiling water.

54bore
03-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Any leads on where to find Silicone high heat tubing?

I got mine with an air pump for aquariums, most of what they sell in petshops is the regular pvc stuff and you DONT want that, look for the Silicone tubing, its easy to tell the difference. Otherwise do a google search on high heat silicone tubing, it will turn up tons of it! As far as the size goes im not sure what mine is? I just know it fits a nipple PERFECT, tho it was a bit of a challenge getting it over the steam cleaner end, (one could easily trim the steam cleaner nossle end down a bit, there is a little copper tube that runs thru mine, the outer is just a thick plastic type material, trim that plastic part down so the tubing fits over it better) i persuaded it with a little dish soap and heated the pee out of that end of tubing with my wifes hair dryer. The Tubing i used is a standard size used for aquarium air pumps.

54bore
03-02-2017, 11:22 AM
I am thinking this might be a neat trick for rust bluing however since steam is known to work even better than boiling water.

I bet this would work like a dream!

bigted
03-02-2017, 01:47 PM
I initially i wanted to throw rocks at this idea ... However ... When i take 3 or 4 rifles out ... By the last one cleaning has turned into a chore ... Now i am the guy that likes to fondle and love my rifles and cleaning 1 or 2 is just joy to me and part of the e experience and fun of these ol soot. Shooters

Idz
03-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Here's a thought. Could you do like a steam engine and aspirate a little oil with a venturi to keep the barrel oiled?

bigted
03-02-2017, 03:22 PM
I initially i wanted to throw rocks at this idea ... However ... When i take 3 or 4 rifles out ... By the last one cleaning has turned into a chore ... Now i am the guy that likes to fondle and love my rifles and cleaning 1 or 2 is just joy to me and part of the e experience and fun of these ol soot. Shooters

guess i should finish my thought now that the rocks are in hand and i feel the glares ... LOL.

what i didnt say is that with 3 or more guns to clean for an extended outing/testing new loads ... this sounds like a real good and cheap way to go. i still like to fondle them but putting the oil/preservative on should suffice for this portion of the excersize.

thanks 54 for bringing this great idea to us. looks like i will be in the market for a small steamer now.:killingpc:roll:

peter72
03-02-2017, 07:03 PM
No, The stuff i used is Silicone high heat tubing, they make all sorts of cooking utensils now days out of Silicone. There is obviously a point it would break down, but not from a steam cleaner
Sorry mate I didn't mean hose deterioration. The silicon hose, being flexible, and when under pressure, would whip about like a garden or fire hose would if left on.

54bore
03-03-2017, 12:27 AM
Sorry mate I didn't mean hose deterioration. The silicon hose, being flexible, and when under pressure, would whip about like a garden or fire hose would if left on.

I couldn't tell ya since I've never tried that? My intention with the short Silicone tubing with bored out wash nipple attached is to connect to the Snail (nipple hole) apply steam and clean, then i take that entire fitting off the steam cleaner and attach another fitting, my little steam cleaner came with several attachments. I only use the Silicone tube for the 1 purpose mentioned above.