PDA

View Full Version : Shell holder for the .44 Colt

RWMC
02-23-2017, 10:44 PM
I am attempting to begin reloading the .44 Colt cartridge for my ASM Richards type I revolver. I read in several places that the Lee .44 Russian dies was the best way to go for reloading the .44 Colt. The shell holder that came with it just barely holds the .44 Colt case. In fact, if you tilt the .44 Colt case while it is sitting in the shell holder that came with the .44 Russian set, the .44 Colt case will easily slip out of the shell holder. I also purchased the RCBS #30 Shell holder that is for the 41 magnum. Someone on another site said that it holds the .44 Colt case perfect. My Star-Line .44 Colt cases won't even begin to go into the RCBS #30 shell holder. Do any of you know of a shell holder that will work for the .44 Colt cases, or is the shell holder for the .44 Russian cartridge about as good as it's going to get? Thank you for allowing me on your site here, and also thank you for your help and time with this question.

Mk42gunner
02-23-2017, 11:19 PM
Welcome aboard.

Off the top of my head, I would have said the .41 Magnum shell holder is the correct one. Possibly the RCBS s/h is held to tighter tolerances.

Just guessing here, but you may be better off getting one from a company that doesn't make a lot of different cartridges, (looking for shall we say expanded tolerances? also known as sloppy fit).

Another though is to do a google search for the .44 Colt to find any articles or forum threads to see what others are using.

Robert

RWMC
02-23-2017, 11:41 PM
Thank you Robert for your info. After looking at the RCBS #30 Shell holder again, and trying to fit the .44 Colt case into it again, I had all but forgotten that I had a little Dremel-type grinder. All I had to do to modify the RCBS number 30 shell holder was to grind a very small 45° bevel on the top edge of the shell holder ( but just along the straight sides of the shellholder slot, and not in the round back part ) and wa-la, ala-Kazam!!!, I now have a shell holder that works perfectly for my .44 Colt cartridge cases. I guess I should have did some more studying before I waste of peoples time in reading this. My apologies, but I do appreciate your info and for getting back to me as soon as you did. Thanks again Robert.

TNsailorman
02-24-2017, 12:25 AM
CH4D makes a shell holder for the .44 colt. It is their number 8, which also fits the .44 American, the .44 Ballard long, the .44 Bulldog, .44 Evans short, .44 Henry Center Fire, and the .44 Remington Army revolver. Also the .442 Webley. james

Rebel Dave
02-24-2017, 03:52 AM
RWMC
I loaded .44 Colt Starline brass with Lee #3, and #9 shell holders. My RCBS .44 Russian die box says to use RCBS #18. The dies I used were for .44 Russian. I have Lee, and RCBS dies both in that cal. The Lee holders will work for sure.

Rebel Dave

Wayne Smith
02-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Ask Starline. Their 41Colt brass uses the 38 Special shell holder, not the .41Colt shell holder. That information is on their website.

No Blue
02-24-2017, 02:56 PM
I wasn't aware there was a 44 Colt; when I check the guns in the back of a Gun Digest, I can't recall ever seeing a gun chambered for that. 44-40 was everywhere, not 44 Colt.

When did these hit the market??

square butte
02-24-2017, 03:32 PM
44 Colt was an early conversion cartridge for Colt 1860 Army's. Howell conversions is still doing a conversion in that cartridge and platform. I believe the rim diameter is also smaller that .44 special