PDA

View Full Version : 8mm Maximum 225 custom - Good?

Dutchman
07-04-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm interested in a heavy boolit for 8x57 in the K98 and Persian 98/29. There doesn't seem to be a lot of heavy boolit designs like 30 caliber. I'm now shooting 3234470 and the RCBS 170 gr flat nose .32 WCF bullet (purchased).

I'd prefer this one at 200 grs but I can live with 225 if its a good and accurate boolit.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000068MMMAX

I'm also concerned with feeding from the Mauser magazine with a large flat nose. ??

I also load for 8x58R Danish in the Swedish rolling block so I'd prefer just one 8mm mould. The original Swedish slug for this cartridge was 236 gr round nose. I shoot the Mausers more than the rolling block so that's my priority.

What say ye of this 8mm Maximum?

danke doo :)
Dutch

Buckshot
07-04-2008, 03:39 AM
.................That slug was designed more toward worn, or fatter wartime expedient chambers, throats and barrel grooves. Might wanna look at the Karabiner version.

................Buckshot

Ricochet
07-04-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm also concerned with feeding from the Mauser magazine with a large flat nose. ??It's a big problem. Every Mauser I own has feeding problems with it. Not every round, either. Some will hang when feeding off the right side of the magazine, some off the left, some with the first round, others with the last. But the edge of the meplat hangs on the edge of the barrel at the rear of the chamber. They have to be seated really short to work, way short of contacting the rifling.

Works better in a Gewehr 88.

Dutchman
07-05-2008, 02:52 AM
For me that's a killer. Its no good if it has to be seated so deep and
has chambering problems. I don't shoot my Commission gewehr 1888
enough to have one mould for it alone.

thanks.. I'll keep looking.
Dutch

Ricochet
07-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Dutch, the standard Lee 175 grain round nose is a good bullet. There was a group buy around 2 years ago for a bullet similar to it with a moderate meplat, and it's become my favorite 8mm bullet.

Dutchman
07-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll end up with the Lee 175 mould simply because it costs so little. I rather like shooting 8x57 so I'll continue searching. Might have to scale up 311299 to 8mm proportions:).

Dutch

JCherry
07-07-2008, 12:07 AM
I use the 8mm Maximum with very good accuracy in one of those "unfired" Persian Mausers that came with an original target.

However the process I have to use with this bullet is a real pain. My alloy is straight wheel weights. The nose of the bullet casts rght at .3225, the grooves at .328. bullet weight is 250 grains. I size the nose of the bullet in a .319 Lyman sizer die. I size the grooves to .325. I oven heat treat the bullets.

The flat nose does cause problems like Richochet mentioned. I found a way around this problem by using the Lee case champhering tool to round off the flat nose. I use it like one would an old manual pencil sharpener, it takes off enough of the outside edges of the flat point that it becomes almost a round nose. I do this "rounding" after the bullet is loaded into a shell. I have a "jig" made up that uniformly stops the cutting of the device so the cutting of the bullet nose is pretty consistant.

By sizing down the nose of the bullet I am able to load the bullet in the shell so both the ogive and the forward band engraves the lands/origin of the lands. The gas check is right at the base of the neck. I load it with a case full of WC-860 for a velocity of 1900 fps.

With the rounded nose, feeding from the magazine is flawless and accuracy is at least equal or a bit better that ball ammo with the issue sights. The 250 grain bullet has a pretty good punch at both ends.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Bret4207
07-07-2008, 06:49 AM
The Karibiner works for me in an unfired Yugo.

BTW- 32WCF is the 32-20, 32 Special is the RCBS 170FN

jonk
07-07-2008, 09:08 AM
I use the big 8mm referenced... I find it only shoots well in my 88s. In practice if the throat is eroded enough to allow that monster to chamber without seating it so the gas check is about halfway down the case, then it probably has a pitted bore and won't shoot cast well anyhow.

GabbyM
07-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Glancing up at my Saeco bullet chart. I see their #081 8mm is a 190gr RNGC. Yes I realize a Saeco mold at around $82 is about what a surplus rifle cost but. Has anyone tried this one? They list sizing die range at .323/.324. So it probably drops no larger than .325 with 2/6 alloy. Judging from my experience with their molds.

Ricochet
07-07-2008, 02:49 PM
The flat nose does cause problems like Richochet mentioned. I found a way around this problem by using the Lee case champhering tool to round off the flat nose. I use it like one would an old manual pencil sharpener, it takes off enough of the outside edges of the flat point that it becomes almost a round nose. I do this "rounding" after the bullet is loaded into a shell. I have a "jig" made up that uniformly stops the cutting of the device so the cutting of the bullet nose is pretty consistant.Wonder how a pencil sharpener would work? :mrgreen: