PDA

View Full Version : 444 marlin FL sizer die (rcbs)

Taylor
02-21-2017, 06:52 PM
I dropped one off at a machine shop to be drilled to .473--all the way through.He call today to tell me it can't be done.The die is too hard for his drill bits.The die is still new and undamaged according to the owner of the shop.

Is this him,and/or is it really impossible? I am not a machinist,so I don't know what tools are available and how they would be used.

My plan was to make a FL sizer die for 3" brass .410 hulls.

brass410
02-21-2017, 07:48 PM
don't have an answer for ya but I also would like to do this

mdi
02-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Yep, dies are pretty hard, bad for most regular drill bits. Perhaps a carbide drill, solid or inserts, would cut the hard steel, but to do it right the die would have to be softened, machined,and rehardened. Any decent machinist would know this.

Another thought; I think I'd try drilling and reaming a 7/8-14, grade 5 bolt then hardening it (oil quenching)...

dsh1106
02-21-2017, 09:24 PM
A solid carbide drill will cut thru material well into the high 50s or low 60s on the Rockwell C scale. I would guess you machinist doesn't have a carbide drill, or doesn't have rigid enough lathe to run the part on.

Scott

Rebel Dave
02-21-2017, 09:25 PM
I Would think that Dies would have to be ground on an I.D. grinder.
Rebel Dave

dsh1106
02-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Rebel Dave

With the correct speeds and feed rate with proper coolant flow, you can get better than a 63 finish while drilling and or milling hardened steel.

Green Frog
02-22-2017, 08:50 AM
Tom Crone, an active member of the North-South Skirmish Association just completed a similar project for me, making a special 64 cal Maynard die to size down 20 ga brass. It had to be made on a larger blank than 7/8 x 14 of course, so he made mine push through, but he makes bullet and brass sizing dies in custom bores for the standard 7/8 size all the time. It will take me a little time to dig out his address, but I'll try to PM it to you.

Froggie

Taylor
02-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Thanks,made me wonder if I were asking for the impossible.However I did not think of a 7/8-14 bolt.

jonas302
02-22-2017, 05:15 PM
A lee 444 powder though die is the right diameter .473 cut it off or reach in a grind the lip to let your 3 inch shell pass though

Or maybe do the same with your rcbs full length die cut the top off to let your 3 inch pass though it will size down a little more and should work just fine

mdi
02-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Rebel Dave

With my limited knowledge of machining ,I'd say the die was machined prior to hardening. Heck of a lot faster and easier on tooling...

W.R.Buchanan
02-23-2017, 07:54 PM
A Lee Carbide Sizing Die (44 Magnum?) could be drilled out from the back side for relief. The Carbide Sizing Dies themselves have a Carbide Ring but are made from 12L14 and not hardened, obviously the Carbide Ring does all the work and the die just holds it in place so it doesn't need to be hard.

This might solve your problem with little or no fuss. Just removing the top and guts of the die and drilling it out with a 1/2 drill would do what you need if the size of the carbide ring is right for what you want to do.

If the .44 die isn't the right size then maybe one for a .45LC would be closer or .460 S&W or maybe .45 Win Mag. You're looking for .473? A couple of thou either way probably won't make any difference.

You'll probably have to call Lee for the actual sizes of the Carbide Rings.

Shouldn't cost more than $20 for the Single Die itself from Titan.

Randy

Taylor
02-27-2017, 08:04 PM
Got it done....

...took a Lee 45acp die,opened top to 1/2",used dremel and opened the sizing ring to .474,then polished with valve lapping compound.Works like it was made for it.

Sized my brass,made a sandwich,broke front 4 teeth off in sandwich.Show the wife,they were sticking in the bread.I think I can super glue them,no she said,you will poison yourself,go to dentist.They will be ready tomorrow after 3pm.

adcoch1
02-28-2017, 04:12 AM
That was a tough sandwich! But at least you can size the .410 shells now. I need to build a sizing die as well, and the acp die looked like the best bet. Glad to know it can work.

EDG
02-28-2017, 03:56 PM
The die is case hardened about .015 deep and is about as hard as a file so you cannot drill it with a high speed steel drill and reamer.
You would be better off to heat it on a gas stove until it turns blue and slowly turn down the burner until you turn it off. This will anneal the steel and ruin the heat treat. But you will be able to ream it.

You would be better off to get a piece of prehardened 4140 steel and have someone make a complete die out of it.

Another way would be to take an expander die less the expander and bore the inside to a shoulder. Then press in a 12mm inside diameter metric drill bushing.

I dropped one off at a machine shop to be drilled to .473--all the way through.He call today to tell me it can't be done.The die is too hard for his drill bits.The die is still new and undamaged according to the owner of the shop.

Is this him,and/or is it really impossible? I am not a machinist,so I don't know what tools are available and how they would be used.

My plan was to make a FL sizer die for 3" brass .410 hulls.