PDA

View Full Version : Quenetics universal shell holder.....?

3006guns
02-21-2017, 01:55 PM
I bought a used Quenetics universal shell holder off Ebay some time ago, wanting to see if it would substitute for a regular shell holder. It worked "okay" for awhile, then I had some problems with it failing to release the case easily.

I just pulled it apart......not an easy job because of the close machining.......to see if perhaps some "crud" was interfering with the jaws. Nope, nice and clean inside, so I reread the instruction sheet and noticed the word "magnetically". Evidently either the jaws or the housing is supposed to be magnetic so that the jaws retract when there's no force on them. I checked each jaw and the housing and they won't even begin to attract a screwdriver so they've lost any magnetism.

Now here's the cool part. I have a very powerful magnet recharger that I built some years back for recharging magneto magnets on my antique engines, so I have the capability of recharging them..........but which part? The jaws or the housing? If anyone has one of these could I ask you to use a small screwdriver tip and verify which parts are magnetized?

anotherred
02-25-2017, 08:41 PM
I fairly sure the o ring is putting tension on the jaws, pulling them apart. Looks like they take a normal collate, penned the o ring in place and then cut the o ring.