PDA

View Full Version : New Finish and walnut media

duckey
02-20-2017, 03:51 PM
How much New Finish should I add to untreated walnut media? I am using a Lyman Turbo pro 1200 tumbler.

mac60
02-20-2017, 04:21 PM
I always use the cap on the NuFinish bottle - 1 cap full does it for me. I run the tumbler 15 min. or so with nothing but the media and the polish in the tumbler before I add any brass.

country gent
02-20-2017, 05:10 PM
If I have new corn cob media I start with a full cap full the first few times running. Then drop back to 1/2 cap full or so until the media is done. New media absorbs more of the new finish starting out. once treated and impregnated it takes less.

duckey
02-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the info!! I have gone through about 10 lbs of treated corn cob media which I have saved and will "recharge" with the new finish eventually. I am going to switch to the walnut and for somthing different to try.

jetinteriorguy
02-20-2017, 08:54 PM
I go one capful every other time, with 1/4 of a paper towel cut into 3/4"X2 1/2" strips. NuFinish works much better on walnut than corncob and lasts much longer, and with the paper towels instead of drier sheets they come much cleaner. This is just my direct experience, and I've pretty much tried all methods of tumbling, except the SS pins.

runfiverun
02-21-2017, 06:18 PM
I take my cases out of the pins and throw them in the walnut with the nu-finish wet.
the water helps the nu-finish stick to the cases and then the media polishes off the haze.
when I apply it to the car I wet the applicator too.

an hour and a half is enough time to dry the cases and give them a coat of the polymer.

Lagamor
02-21-2017, 10:35 PM
Just started dry tumbling with Nu-finish in walnut media after Wet Tumbling. It works great, but there is some very light dust left on the brass.
Its very light, and I'm not worried about it, plus I know I could spray it off in the sink. But like I said I'm not worried about it.
Does anyone do anything about it?

Kenstone
02-21-2017, 11:01 PM
Just started dry tumbling with Nu-finish in walnut media after Wet Tumbling. It works great, but there is some very light dust left on the brass.
Its very light, and I'm not worried about it, plus I know I could spray it off in the sink. But like I said I'm not worried about it.
Does anyone do anything about it?
Add a cap full of mineral spirits/paint thinner (same stuff), mix it with the nu-finish.
That will end any dusting,
:mrgreen:

Lagamor
02-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Thank you.

KEYBEAR
02-22-2017, 01:02 PM
I bought a Thumler Tumbler Model B last year and like it a lot . I read that adding New Finish Wax (With the walnut) worked well . After a month or so I had a problem getting the lid on as the studs were short ? The tub liner was growing and I had to replace it ? I had use the tumbler for a short time before using the New Finish and not at all after the new liner .

jonas302
02-22-2017, 07:20 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?168359-Tumbler-Media

Dukes post outlines an excellent procedure

RogerDat
02-22-2017, 07:29 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?168359-Tumbler-Media

Dukes post outlines an excellent procedure

Yep that is the process that works best for me. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?168359-Tumbler-Media&p=1884440&viewfull=1#post1884440 This link is directly to that post in the thread (have it bookmarked)

I would add that you might want to check the threads on using Citric Acid (in the canning section of grocery stores) also called pickling salt. Use a small amount like teaspoon full in a gallon of water to soak the brass in first, before tumbling. De-tarnishes and treats the brass for longer storage tarnish free. Also plus one on Lizard litter (walnut shell media) from pet store. Works well and cheaper than re-loader supply of the same item. Welding shops for corn cob media can save you some money too.

Be aware primer ignition puts a lead compound dust into those cases, wearing gloves can help reduce potential lead exposure and using Duke's method reduces dust so less exposure through breathing.

duckey
02-22-2017, 09:26 PM
I am now a fan of walnut and NewFinish!! I added one cap of New Finish to the media and gave it 15 min of tumbling to mix in and added some 9MM Brass and they came looking like GOLD! I did have dust come out the top of the tumbler but had no residue on the brass!