PDA

View Full Version : Cold bore fowling shot?

sac
02-20-2017, 12:33 PM
So I decided to use the KIK powder I have on hand instead of ordering any. Took the 45-90 out with some test loads at 200 yards, I only used four rounds run one wet patch one dry patch and let it cool down before my next four. My question is how many inches a you guys getting from cold bore to main group?188508
I know I need to load some more and run over the crono, but is this about average for what you guys are running for cold bore and main group?
Thanks Scott

Nobade
02-20-2017, 01:49 PM
About that. Mine takes two fouling shots to settle down after I clean it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Gunlaker
02-20-2017, 02:13 PM
My .40-65 shoots the first shot about a minute, or maybe a little more, high, and usually a little bit left. After that it settles down. I wipe between shots, and precondition the bore by passing a damp patch through it for the first shot.

My paper patch rifles will almost always shoot dead center on the first shot. Likely because the bore is always clean and dry regardless of which shot I'm on.

Chris.

sac
02-20-2017, 02:42 PM
One of these days I need to try paper patch.

Outpost75
02-20-2017, 05:15 PM
Apologise for the "nitpick" but a "fowling" shot would be from a shotgun aimed at duck or goose.

A "fouling" shot is used to condition a clean dry bore before going "for record."

Rant mode off...

sac
02-20-2017, 05:28 PM
Sorry by the time I realized I spelled it wrong I hit send and it wont let me edit it.

Multigunner
02-20-2017, 07:58 PM
I read an ancient article on the first use of breech loaders for long range matches in England. British marksmen claimed that the American competitors swabbed the bore from the breech at every shot, each shot then coming from a cold clean bore. that was in the days of black powder of course so avoiding rapid build up of fouling was an issue.

country gent
02-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Most of my BPCR rifles and even other match rifles are very close with the first shot and following shots. I did have a long range match rifle that would need a sight correction every 4-5 shots thru the string. Most of the better barrel makers now stress relieve somewhere in the process some do it twice once to the bar stock to ease machining issues and then again when blank is completed to remove the stress from machining. The above barrel was cryo stress relieved and was a solid performer afterwards. On my Black Powder loads ( mostly olde ensford or swiss) the shots are close.