PDA

View Full Version : Old mould issue?

gcf
07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I have noticed that a lot of bullets from what I would assume to be older moulds, have a bit of excess material on opposing sides - where the two halves of the mould come together.

Obviously, this will be cleaned up on the bearing surface by the sizing die, but won't get touched in the crimp, or lube grooves.

Do you guys see this as an issue? If so, I suppose it could be cleaned up w/ a file, or maybe a wire brush. Any opinions on this, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

218bee
07-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I wonder if the moulds are not fitting together tight enough? If in different spots around the bullet I was thinking rust, dirt etc.., but if where the halves meet it may be you need to align the pins or something...just my .02

44man
07-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Cherry cut molds always are larger at the parting line because of actions of the cutting tool on blocks that are not closed until fully cut. The same thing happens if you try to lap a mold. Doesn't matter if the mold is old or new.
Hasn't made any of my molds and boolits shoot bad.

KCSO
07-03-2008, 02:28 PM
I think you mean flash and usualy this means the mould is not closing right. Sometimes it lookes like wires coming out of the bullet on the vent lines. You can cause this to happen every time on some moulds by using the pressure of the pot on a bottom pour to force the lead into the mould. On abused moulds or Lee moulds that have been dropped the blocks are damaged and wil need to be re fit.

gcf
07-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Guys thanks for the input on this. These bullets are actually cast for me by someone else. Just found it unusual, as it is an LBT mould - a 260WFN-PB, for the record.

Don't guess it's much of an issue, as they seem to shoot muy bueno, in my S&W 624. Better in fact, then any other .44 cal bullet I have found.

Again, thanks.

leadman
07-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Maybe the mold has a bit of lead stuck to one half, hard to see sometimes on an aluminum mold.
I have an old Ideal mold that only closes properly with a certain set of handles.