PDA

View Full Version : California?

starmac
02-18-2017, 08:37 PM
To you guys in Cali, is all the rain we keep hearing about staying south of the oroville Dam watershed??

Mtnfolk75
02-18-2017, 08:52 PM
It appears this last round is impacting Central & Southern California more than Northern. We have had about 4" of rain & 7-8" of snow here at the Cabin. I hear the Central Coast, LA Basin & Inland Empire are getting hit pretty hard. San Bernardino County Fire lost an Engine on I-15 near the 138 junction last night when the #4 & shoulder collapsed.

Mal Paso
02-18-2017, 09:57 PM
I think most of it landed here. Power is out with no estimate to restore. I just got back from a food/fuel run as we have another flood watch / wind advisory for tomorrow. LOL Hwy 1 is closed a few miles south with a bridge collapsing. I'm in the middle of a fire scar and that last rain just did not want to stop. I have not been up to the house site but heard a Redwood is blocking part of the road and there are probably slides.

Hopefully I got enough food, fuel and TP to make Mother Nature think twice.

Last I checked Oroville was good with the water level lowered enough to cover expected storms.

Fishman
02-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Mal Paso I hope you dodge this one.

starmac
02-19-2017, 12:05 AM
Well you guys stay safe, I am pretty sure if I lived anywhere close to the river downstream of the dam, I would get the stuff I couldn't replace moved to high ground, just in case the snow melts faster than expected.

OeldeWolf
02-19-2017, 12:30 AM
I am in San Joaquin county, outskirts of Stockton. Don Pedro reservoir is about 98% full, with another storm expected Monday. My Lady and I are going over our BOB's tomorrow, and making sure we have the pet carriers handy. Flood watch here, even though Modesto is closer to Don Pedro, so they must think some other reservoir may have to dump water.

koehn,jim
02-19-2017, 12:36 AM
The LA area is fine except for some flooded Hwys and a sink hole that opened up. I am well situated to not have problems. I have a generator though just in case. Thank you for the well wishes. The burn areas are getting hit hard though, if I can help any locals pls contact me.

clum553946
02-19-2017, 04:59 AM
Expecting more rain here in the central San Jouquin Valley, but no major flood conditions that I've heard of. Due west on the central coast, the story is much water & small mudslides, hoping the damage is minimal, but the forecast calls for more rain for the next 4 days! Keeping our fingers crossed!

Mal Paso
02-19-2017, 12:44 PM
I fired up the generator to check email and weather. Wind Advisory, Flash Flood Watch, Small Craft Advisory, and Gail Warning all scheduled for early afternoon. Got plenty of time to get the food and beverages ready. LOL

We were cut off from town for 3 weeks in '98 with 30' deep holes in Hwy 1. Either I know what I am doing or there was serious Dain Bramage along the way.

Mtnfolk75
02-19-2017, 01:31 PM
Good luck,Mal. We are mostly dry today although it did rain most of the night, temp is still in the mid 30's. We are at about 116" of snow since December & about 27" of rain since New Year's, way more rain than normal.

MaryB
02-20-2017, 12:50 AM
Rain and water there is a blessing and a curse... a blessing because it is offsetting the drought and a curse for all the damage it is causing.

varmintpopper
02-20-2017, 01:13 AM
I picked up a case of beer this afternoon, everything is good now,, let it rain !

Mal Paso
02-20-2017, 12:17 PM
No less than 7 advisories this morning starting with Flood Warning for the Carmel River. Then Flash Flood Warning, Flood Watch, Wind Advisory, Special Weather Statement, High Wind Warning and Gale Warning. Weather reporting lately has been as good as political promises so I figure I'm fairly safe. LOL
Pictures of the surf 2 weeks ago. The rock is over 40 feet tall.

Mal Paso
02-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Check this out. It's a partly cloudy day and the fog is all created by the surf. Taken at the same time as the rock but 90* left.

Mal Paso
02-21-2017, 12:06 AM
Had power for a while but I'm back on generator. Hwy 1 is closed North and South of me by slides. Raining now but I've got a Tom Clancy novel and will see what tomorrow brings.

starmac
02-21-2017, 03:18 AM
What is that area called where the waves are pounding that huge rock, seems like I have been there and may even still have pictures of it somewhere.

CGT80
02-21-2017, 04:02 AM
I didn't see much rain in the Inland Empire/Fontana. The forecast expected 3", but it didn't seem that heavy or consistent, and our street and part of the property flood with heavy rain.

Mal Paso
02-21-2017, 12:17 PM
What is that area called where the waves are pounding that huge rock, seems like I have been there and may even still have pictures of it somewhere.

Rocky Point. There is a restaurant to the right, the only business for 10 miles in either direction. Just as you pass the restaurant driveway heading South you see the view in the last picture. Both pictures were taken from the pullout that is the process time of "I gotta get a picture of this" from where you first see the view. LOL

Palo Colorado Creek overflowed it's banks last night, one house damaged but under control. The back canyon may be totally cut off, they were down to a footbridge last night and were loosing that. PG&E got some power back but not me. I waited until 7:30 to fire the generator. Still have phone/internet, waiting for the rest of the world to report in.

Mtnfolk75
02-21-2017, 03:01 PM
FWIW, I have been sticking our snow so that is a pretty accurate total for the Cabin, but I have been estimating the rain from a crude gauge I have. Just talked to a Neighbor around the hill from me who has a weather station with a actual rain gauge that is linked to a computer, she said the total since New Years is 36.61" .....