PDA

View Full Version : New information today

sniper
02-18-2017, 04:44 PM
Hello, cast boolit gurus!:D
So...I was slugging my cylinder throats again, and attempting to slug the bore, with good results, but now I can't find the bore slug! Oh, well. After I had cleaned up the mess, I started reading through the recently-found instruction sheet for my mid-80s 586, and came across this information: My 586 weighs 42 ozs unloaded! WOW! Not a skinny chick! I had no idea! The last time I remember reading the sheet was ~25 years ago. ;) Oftener might be better, ya think? And then...

"...for Practical Police Pistol Combat Shooting, Utilizing 158 grain round nose lead .38 Special caliber factory ammunition, the following approximate sight setting is applicable:
15 yards---point of aim---26 clicks from bottom position
25 yards---neck hold---3 clicks up from bottom..."

So far, I have heard of the 6 O'clock hold, the Flat tire hold, and Center hold, but WHAT in the world is the "Neck Hold"?:confused: Does it have to do with the "manlike" IPSC and PPC targets, and aiming for the head/body junction?

I figure my Cast 150-158gr 860 fps load is pretty close to the factory round nose one, so I adjusted my sight for that basic initial 15 yard position. Soon as it warms up, I'll verify at the range. So far, so good...:cool:

Whilst doing that, I discovered the screw that holds the sight to the frame was about 1 1/2 turns loose,:eek: so I snugged it down, thinking 30+ years of shooting could have loosened it. Oorrr...is it supposed to be that way? How it was, I could put thumb pressure on the front, and it would move up and down quite a bit. I'm thinking that could adversely affect accuracy.(?) Somebody on the forum is bound to know what's what! Any information regarding the above will be appreciated! :)

ReloaderFred
02-18-2017, 09:28 PM
The "neck hold" was used quite a bit in PPC shooting, especially at the 50 yard line. I didn't care for it myself, but some of the top shooters did pretty well with it.

The rear sight mounting screw needs to be tight to maintain the sight setting.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ReloaderFred
02-18-2017, 09:31 PM
The "neck hold" was used quite a bit in PPC shooting, especially at the 50 yard line. I didn't care for it myself, but some of the top shooters did pretty well with it. The B-27 target provided a finer sighting spot at the juncture of the neck and body on the target, since the X-ring tended to blend in with the background with open sights.

The rear sight mounting screw needs to be tight to maintain the sight setting.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rintinglen
02-20-2017, 02:03 AM
What they said. I tried it and it raised my score by a few points, but I went back to shooting center for fear that in a real gun fight, I might hold high and miss when missing meant more than the loss of a few points.

sniper
03-04-2017, 12:27 AM
Thanks, all! It's somewhat humbling to find that after all those years, there is still a bunch to learn! :-)

Scharfschuetze
03-04-2017, 01:55 PM
I used the neck hold at 50 yards with my open class PPC revolver. When doing so, it gave you what looked to be a Six O'Clock hold on a bullseye target when shooting on the classic B27 silhouette target. When shooting in the stock revolver class, I just added 3 clicks from my 25 yard zero (S&W sight) and held center of mass.

Here's my old PPC open class revolver. It has a three position sight that is quickly changed from center mass at 7 yards and 25 yards to a neck hold at 50 yards.