PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP recoil spring

dubber123
02-18-2017, 08:26 AM
I recently purchased a Ruger LCP Custom, and have done a little shooting and chronograph work with it. I am wondering if there is a point where a different recoil spring is suggested. I am working on getting 900+ fps. with a 95 grain boolit, nothing too wild, but likely more than standard factory loads produce.

Thanks in advance for any input.

35remington
02-18-2017, 10:41 AM
There are some downsides to doing so. Potential for running the gun towards malfunctions exist when any change from factory spring ratings are contemplated.

Since such shooting should be low volume, as the gun really isn't intended for "Plus P" type loadings (which by their nature also increase the chance of malfunction) I myself would leave the standard spring in. Heavier springs are not at all the "gun saving" addition they are viewed as being in most instances. Practice should always be with ammo of reasonable (not too much) power and high volume shooting is best conducted with such loads.

What "saves the gun" is not shooting it a lot with heavy loads. Anything else you do pales in comparison, and may introduce downsides in making the gun function differently. The factory put the spring rating the gun normally uses in that gun for a reason. They didn't go with another spring rating for a reason. That reason may have to do with functioning and likely does.

A gun working reliably isn't a guarantee, but rather stacking the odds in your favor. Having it go bang with a load that is a little slower is better than having it choke with anything faster.

dubber123
02-19-2017, 07:45 AM
Makes sense, my practice load ran about 870 fps. across the chrono, about what I believe standard factory ammo would do. I planned on shooting enough of the warmer stuff to verify function, and sticking to the milder stuff for most usage.

35remington
02-19-2017, 11:55 AM
My lady friend's LCP does low to mid 800's with most standard bullet weights in factory loads. It is likely that this is what Ruger intended to be used in the pistol when shot in volume.

Since paper targets cannot tell the difference in practicing between 800 and 900 fps and it makes no sense to batter a pistol you may need to save your life, we do what you plan to do as well. We make use of a RN bullet from a cheap Lee mould for this and the gun functions well with it. For practice 800 fps is my target velocity to minimize strain on the gun while providing realistic recoil simulation and a small charge of Bullseye or Titegroup gets it.

Recoil with the heavier loads (actually the moderate loads too) is fairly snappy and noticeably fatigues her in terms of trying to grind out a useful practice session. Another reason not to overload the pistol. The vestigial sights make hits beyond close range a matter of intense concentration in applying the fundamentals of marksmanship at faster rates of fire. Difficult to do when fatigued. Even a .380 gets your attention over a number of shots when it weighs only about 9 ounces unloaded.

FergusonTO35
02-19-2017, 03:11 PM
I found the Wolff 11 pound spring was optimal for my LCP. My usual load for it duplicated most factory FMJ, a Lee 356-102-2R at ~845 fps. Anything more than that and the pistol shifted too much in my hand to make follow up shots considerably slower. My sister currently has my LCP for her EDC. I told her to just use Federal or Remington FMJ and call it good.