PDA

View Full Version : star lube problem

krazypetman
02-18-2017, 12:09 AM
I have a star sizer really like but have always had problem with not lubing the whole groove first time through always had to run through a couple times using magma lube with lyman heater is the lube to hard thinking of using white label 2500 lube

454PB
02-18-2017, 12:24 AM
Have you tried adjusting the lube stroke?

VHoward
02-18-2017, 12:25 AM
Have you tried changing the punch depth? Getting a star dialed in is a combination of punch depth, lube pressure and lube temp.

krazypetman
02-18-2017, 01:54 AM
have adjusted punch and have air cylinder for lube pressure

VHoward
02-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Have you managed to measure the temperature you are getting from the heater? The heater from Magma for the star will get hot enough to turn the lube into liquid. Not sure if the Lyman will get warm enough.

runfiverun
02-18-2017, 12:00 PM
or heat up the body of the lube container.
the air cylinder pushes down on the lube providing pressure to the lube pump.
the magma lube needs to be about 100-f to flow well, it melts out at 120-f.
if you get it too hot you'll see white bubbly looking lube come out in the grooves, and right after that it runs out of the size die.

I would turn the heater on and let it cycle 2-3 times so the heat could creep up and warm the whole machine up.
if it got hot the time before, the lube would block the air cylinder from being able to push it down so getting everything up to temperature allows the lube to glide down and keep everything full and flowing.

you might want to try hitting the top of the lube tube with a hair dryer for a bit to see what happens.

HeavyMetal
02-18-2017, 01:00 PM
If your not getting lube all over the boolit nose when they pop out the bottom of the sizer you don't have enough heat, if you are getting lube on the nose the punch depth is wrong and needs to be adjusted.

krazypetman
02-20-2017, 06:29 PM
talk to magma about the lube problem and found its a heat problem lyman heater not getting hot enough sound like I need to buy star heater from magma

6bg6ga
02-20-2017, 06:49 PM
talk to magma about the lube problem and found its a heat problem lyman heater not getting hot enough sound like I need to buy star heater from magma

Or you can check the threads on DIYing your own heater at a cost savings.

runfiverun
02-20-2017, 07:37 PM
like leaning an aluminum lamp against the tube.
or using the hair dryer like I suggested.
even with the magma heater I use a heat gun so I don't over shoot or have to wait, if it's cold in the shop.

krazypetman
02-20-2017, 08:10 PM
I do have a heat gu but could be to hot with the heat gun

Johnny_Cyclone
02-20-2017, 08:38 PM
Are you allowing time for the lube to flow before starting the next bullet. Go slow, or warm it up. Either should work if the groove is lined up proper to the feed hole(s).

Push, pause...., repeat.

Oh... just thought of something.
Are using solid sticks, or did you get the ones with holes for Lyman/RCBS? Just asking as you can get air bubbles. The air in the pocket left by the hole in the stick has no escape until it gets pushed out the bore and into the die. Probably would her a light pop when the bullet leaves the die.

If they have holes , just melt them and poor them, let cool, good to go.

KYCaster
02-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Have you tried adjusting the lube stroke?

What he said. ^^^

If the groove is partially filled, the lube is hot enough to flow.

runfiverun
02-20-2017, 10:17 PM
or turn up the air.
I think I was running with about 50 lbs with the magma lube.
I would rather run a little cool and more air then the other way around.

6bg6ga
02-20-2017, 11:21 PM
Its a simple matter. You can try more air pressure and see it that helps and if it doesn't then raise the temp. You may very well find that a combination of more temp and more pressure may be needed. This is exactly why I run a 400 watt heating element. The 400 watt element in my 1/2" aluminum plate comes up to temp fast, keeps it constant, and can easily raise the temp if one needs to and do it fast.

teg2658
02-28-2017, 05:36 PM
I use the old 50/50 NRA lube in my Star and found that by heating the bottom of the Star Sizer for a few minutes with a heat gun solved the problem. Never had to do it again during that sizing session.

MT Chambers
02-28-2017, 06:07 PM
I have a Star with the Magna heater and 2 with Lyman heaters, and there is plenty of heat either way but I run them at 60 psi, and I'm using Carnauba Red.

earlmck
03-18-2017, 12:55 AM
What they said about warm enough lube and good depth adjustment. But if the lube hole spacing on your size die is not a reasonably good fit for the groove spacing on your bullet -- well it'll fairly drive you nuts trying to get a good fill.