PDA

View Full Version : Gotta brag about my boy...

southpaw
02-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Went down to the pa outdoor expo. We have gone down for as long as I can remember. This year my boy wanted to shoot in the 3d archery competition. We signed him up. He was in the 12 and under group.

His first round he shot a 129. His second round was a 145. I know, not huge numbers, but he is only 9 and he is shooting a genesis bow (no sights). I figure that is better than I could do without sights (maybe even with sights!). He only started shooting last year. This was his first time shooting at targets that he didn't know the distance to them.

He can't wait till he can shoot a bow with a 35# pull so he can go hunting with it. I can't wait for him to fill my tags for me :D. He took a 6 point this last season with the rifle. Grin from ear to ear. Can't wait to see him with his first bow kill! :D

Jerry Jr.

bedbugbilly
02-17-2017, 11:32 PM
Congrats to you both! Sounds like a mighty fine young man and good for him! And kudos to you as well .. . you have him on the right path and is interest is in things you both can share together as father and son. And . . I think is scores are great! I KNOW I could shoot a bow and arrow that well! The two of you are making some great memories!

LaPoint
02-17-2017, 11:38 PM
That is something to be very proud of! Keep him hooked on outdoor sports & hunting .

Bzcraig
02-18-2017, 12:06 AM
Outstanding Jerry!

southpaw
02-18-2017, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys, our main reason for for us going down was for him to shoot. We don't buy anything, but it was great watching him shoot the course. We spent more time watching him then we did roaming around. We did manage to see most of the place. Overall it was a good time. I would do it again.

Thanks for your support, I will pass it on to him.

Jerry Jr.

CastingFool
02-18-2017, 12:24 AM
Nice shooting, young man, keep it up!

xs11jack
02-18-2017, 12:38 AM
Sounds like you are practicing good family values. They are priceless, there is no substitute for them. God's blessing on you.
Ole Jack

starmac
02-18-2017, 02:15 AM
I have a funny story about a bow. I shot one quite a bit when I was a kid, then for some reason just got away from them.
Fast forward several years and a younger cousin of mine got into archery. I was closer to his dads age and run around with him some, and stopped by one day when he was practicing. He asked if I had ever shot a bow, and ofcourse I told him I was one of the best or something like that.
He talked me into taking a shot, where by sheer luck I promptly centered the bullseye, handed him the bow back and walked off. lol

Congrats to your son for the scores. I do not know how it is scored, but sure sounds good for nine years old and first time at a shoot.

Alstep
02-18-2017, 01:21 PM
Certainly worth bragging about. Good for both of you. Keep it up, values and skills learned now will last him the rest of his life. Took my son to highpower shooting matches for years while he was growing up. Now I can't wait to get my little granddaughter involved in the shooting sports.

Hogtamer
02-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Yes sir!!! The flight of an arrow is truly captivating to some, as it was to me at a young age. This year made my 46th year with the ancient weapon. I love guns too, but, but, but - it's grocery shopping! Nice job Daddy!

southpaw
02-19-2017, 12:29 PM
He has been shooting with the school and 4h with the bow. He did well enough this year to qualify for states with the school, only problem is they couldn't take 4th graders. They told us of this in the beginning and that was fine. He shot better than half the high school kids aswell. Next year he is gonna do some major but kicking!

Jerry Jr.

Blackwater
02-19-2017, 08:04 PM
Outstanding report and great shooting! Marksmanship, whether with a bow or gun, is an art that's becoming less and less common, and that's sad. Good to see your son doing so well at age 9! I know a lot of adults who couldn't match him WITH sights!

I have some friends who really got into archery and attended many big shoots. They've won quite a few very nice prizes. The travel was sometimes hard to handle, but they never let that bother them much, and the wife and daughter are probably the winningest among the whole tribe! Shooting a bow is even more of a subtle process than shooting a gun is, and if he's doing that well at 9, I suspect he's really going to be a stellar performer in time. One CAN make some nice change or win some really nice stuff shooting matches now. He may be a gold mine for the family! :awesome::2_high5:

finstr
02-20-2017, 09:49 PM
That is excellent!