PDA

View Full Version : Flitz or JB Problems on SS Barrels?

Bama
02-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Has anyone had anyone seen any problems with using Flitz or JB to clean stainless steel barrels?

Bzcraig
02-17-2017, 10:39 PM
Don't know about JB but Flitz will act as a polish not just a cleaner.

country gent
02-17-2017, 10:55 PM
JB is an very mild abrasive in an oil carrier. I believe it volcanic ash for the mild abrasive. I don't think either used as directions will harm a barrel. Use a good rod guide and a stiff rod. don't let it rub the bore. I use Jb Bore cleaner occasionally on barrels. I start with 6"-8" strokes 4-6 then extending the strokes 6"-8" and 4-6 strokes until I'm thru the barrel. In this way I also hope to maintain the desirable tapered bore getting smaller to the muzzle.

Geezer in NH
02-17-2017, 11:36 PM
Why need either?

Outpost75
02-17-2017, 11:47 PM
JB is 1000 grit garnet in oil suspension and when used WITH KROIL is effective in removing metal fouling.

JB and Kroil are safer to use than ammonia-based cleaners which may cause pitting of stainless barrels if left in too long.

tomme boy
02-18-2017, 01:20 AM
Jb and Kroil as mentioned works awesome if you really want to get down to the base metal. I like to use Outters foam first a couple times then polish with the JB.

You are going to do more damage with your cleaning rod than using anything else. Get a GOOD bore guide and it will help. And never draw the brush or patch back through the barrel.