PDA

View Full Version : Colt NM--38spl 1911

SWANEEDB
02-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Had the pleasure of looking at one of these today, is really fine condition, 95o/o or better. Slide is stamped 'National Match', automatic 38 special mid-range. Barrel stamped with only 'Colt 38 spec NM'. Ser # 162x-MR. Have tried to find out info but seems to be not a bunch. Believe this is a 1961/62 mfg. Only a little blurp in the Poyer book. Have also found out that the "Clawson" book does not have much info as to Ser No's Re dates of mfg. Would like to purchase it but need to find out more info. Also found out only about 6900 made with 2000 going to the commercial mkt, rest went to the military.

30calflash
02-17-2017, 09:36 PM
Hello, this from an older bullseye shooter of my acquaintance from the past. This also could be only what I was told, also.

The Colt 38 WC pistols did not fair as well as the S&W 52 because it was a blowback operated mechanism. Not like a 1911. It's grouping abilities were never as good to be used in serious bullseye competition.

I believe the military tested them and may have used some as the test bed for the 38AMU caliber 1911 pistol, but what else was done to get them to shoot well I'm unable to help you with. The shooter who gave me the story was involved in bullseye in Florida from the 50's thru early 60's and knew some of the local, better known pistolsmiths from the area. Names escape me now but one had a few of them in his shop and when asked he said they weren't up to the task.

Wish I had more for you, 30CF

Outpost75
02-17-2017, 09:49 PM
Earlier .38 Special wadcutter conversions of the Colt .38 Super National Match retained the recoil-operated action and used the .38 Super barrel, standard recoil spring and modified magazine to fire wadcutter ammo, simply rechambering the .38 Super barrel to .38 AMU, a full-length, flush-seated .38 Special wadcutter round with head turned to a semi-rim, like the .38 Super.

A friend has one of these built in the late 1950s and it shoots like a house on fire. It can also be used with "full charge" wadcutters using a 146-grain DEWC bullet and 3.5 grains of Bullseye, which makes a dandy and hard hitting field gun! The gun retains the ability to function with .38 Super ammunition and the long jump of the jacketed bullet in the .38 AMU chamber doesn't seem to hurt grouping one bit.

country gent
02-17-2017, 10:11 PM
colt built some blow back guns that would perform decent but had some issues. These used a standard recoil spring weight and a fixed follower mag. The ones built by the AMU were lock up guns and used a 6-7 lb recoil spring and a magazine with a special follower. These were tack drivers very accurate and reliable but were also hand built firearms. I have one I built its a lock up gun with 6" Bar Sto barrel hand fitted and lapped to the bushing. Its very reliable and probably the softest shooting most accurate handgun I own. 2.7 grns of bullseye and a Star or Hornaday hollow based wadcutter is good for 3/4" 25 yd groups.

John J
02-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Greetings

hope this link will help you out

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-semiauto-pistols/13678-colt-gold-cup-national-match-38-a.html

I have a MKIII and i love it

John J

Cougar Hunter
02-18-2017, 02:39 PM
It seems as though the production history and approximate shipping dates, how many were produced etc are shrouded in mystery and mis-information. Most sources indicate that 7000 were produced up until 1970. A member on another Forum indicated that he called Colt Customer Service and they told him that 7000 were manufactured and production ended in 1970. We know this is incorrect. I've personally seen pistols with serial#'s in the high 8000's. Clawson indicates that the last pistol to leave the factory was #9309MR in February 1974. These pistols ended up being slow sellers and Colt did not ship in serial# order so its believable to think that actual production ceased in 1970, but parts clean up guns were assembled sporatically when orders came through and the parts to assemble the last pistol (#9309) dried up in 1974. I would also question the Military purchase of 4900 of these. Where did that info come from? As far as your's with serial#162X I would think it is as you think a first or early second year gun. I own 6477MR and although I like it and it shoots pretty good for me, I also have a S&W Model 52-2 which in my opinion is a much better pistol. The Colt's are interesting and getting expensive. Certainly collectability is getting high. There is quite a bit of interesting information in the book US Military Match and Marksmanship Automatic Pistols by Bill Jenkins.
Here's a pic of mine. Per the Colt letter mine was shipped in May 1969.

SWANEEDB
02-18-2017, 05:23 PM
Greetings

hope this link will help you out

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-semiauto-pistols/13678-colt-gold-cup-national-match-38-a.html

I have a MKIII and i love it

John J

Thanks John, Had already looked up this link.