PDA

View Full Version : Help with making a casting alloy

Crazyrcflier
02-17-2017, 06:11 PM
hello all,

I am pretty new to casting. I have melted down over 300 pounds of range scrap from an indoor range (pistol and rimfire only). Last time I tried to cast with this, I had to add a little bit of pewter to it cause the boolits were always wrinkly.

I have just recently acquired enough COWW to completely fill a five gallon bucket and a one gallon paint bucket. I picked them up for $20 and it had SOWW in it also.

My question, Can I stretch my COWW on by adding half range scrap and still have a good mix? I only plan to cast for pistol and subsonic rifle.

Will the COWW have enough tin in it so I don't have to add any pewter?

I got very frustrated last time I tried to cast rifle bullets and I sold most of my stock. I don't currently have any pewter, but I am about to go on the look for some. I would appreciate any help I can get.

scottfire1957
02-17-2017, 07:17 PM
1)Yes. 2) Unknown.

Soundguy
02-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Remember, you can buy straight tin as well. Rotometals, etc..

runfiverun
02-17-2017, 08:53 PM
you can mix them 50-50.
probably still need a touch of tin either way.

JWFilips
02-17-2017, 09:19 PM
you can mix them 50-50.
probably still need a touch of tin either way.
I would have no problem with alloy like this But as fiver said add a bit more tin it will help. I would add about 2% tin add'l to that mix

Dusty Bannister
02-17-2017, 10:21 PM
I would suggest not two percent given that he is using range scrap that probably already has some tin in it. Better to try casting with the blend as it is, and if necessary, add one percent and try casting again. If he were blending soft lead scrap like flashings or plumbing without the soldered joints, that would be different. Since he has no tin at this point, increasing the melt temperature might be advisable.

sqlbullet
02-18-2017, 12:09 PM
I would suggest more heat and a faster cadence. I have cast lots of bullets from low tin alloys, and i find that with a mold at good temp I can get decent fill out. The trick with new casters is they tend to admire their work. Inspect after you have cast a couple hundred as fast as you can.

Sasquatch-1
02-20-2017, 08:09 AM
To add to what has been said, the least little bit of contaminate in the mold can cause wrinkles. If you lube the pivot pin or the sprue plate with wax and some gets inside the mold it will cause wrinkles. When this happens to me I set the mold on the top of the melt until it starts smoking.