PDA

View Full Version : First try at Paper Patching....

Echale3
02-17-2017, 02:33 PM
OK, I decided to take a swipe at paper patching, since I've tried so much other stuff. I figure it might be interesting, especially since I've been shooting mainly cast bullets for 20+ years now.

I sized down some of my cast 435 grain 45-70 slugs, figured out the length I needed to go just a hair shy of 2 full wraps, cut out some patches, made a bullet board, and used spit to moisten the patches for rolling purposes.

I'm still working on trying to keep the amount of spit and the paper stretch consistent, but I managed to get 20 halfway decent patched rounds done. It only took me 30 patches, LOL!

Anyway, I'll have to size them down a bit to fit properly, but they should work well enough for me to have a little fun with. Here they are, sitting upside down drying...

johnson1942
02-17-2017, 03:01 PM
when you see the results of accuracy you will want to keep doing it. 435 is is good weight for a 1/18 twist 45/70. most shooters want heavier bullets but 450 to 485 grains can do great at 500 to 1000 yards. im sure 435 will give you good accuracy also. i wouldnt work so hard with the spit. water works just fine. keep us posted as to the results. make sure to use a good wad between the powder and the base of the bullet. and wipe the bore between rounds.

Hardcast416taylor
02-18-2017, 01:38 PM
I also started with the `spit patch` method of wrapping, I soon tired of the dry tongue and mouth and went to using the damp sponge method to wet the patches. I get a chuckle out of peoples comments about who taught me this method? With a straight face I reply` Buffalo Bill taught me back in the buffalo hunting days when I was a lad`!Robert

country gent
02-18-2017, 02:07 PM
I use the sponge method also. I sit a small spounge in a shallow bowl of water and work it a little to get it started. I then let it sit for 5-10 mins to "normalize". I then just set 4-5 patches on it and give the first ones a few mins to dampen. I then take the first and wrap a bullet setting another patch on the spounge. and keep the rotation going as I wrap. once going patches set on the damp spounge about the same and paper absorbs enough moisture to wrap nicely. I use water or on some a mixture of 4 parts water to 1 part lee water souluable case lube. The original was an egg white to a quart of water. Another thing to try is to wrap with out a tail leave just enough for the fold over and to leave .060-.090 of base showing in the middle of the bullet, this allows the bullet to seat and sit flater wirth no ""lump" to cause problems.

rfd
02-19-2017, 08:16 AM
ppb's are nothing short of awesome, i'm hooked on using them exclusively for my .45-70 rifles.

one thing you might consider is to not cover the bullet base with the paper - only wrap the paper over the bullet's base edge for about a third of the base diameter and leave a "hole" of lead showing. this will keep the initial powder detonation from forcing the paper into the lead and upsetting its flight - a mistake i initially made.

i find wrapping dry, with no paper "lube" to be easier, faster, and a sure way the paper will peel off the bullet as it exits the muzzle. i wrap just before pushing the bullet into a fire formed and charged brass case.

good luck, have fun!

Echale3
02-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Thanks, guys--my next batch will be even better... I'm going to load these up today, and chuck 'me down range first chance I get.

Hardcast416taylor
02-20-2017, 05:30 AM
Watch for the `confetti` shower at the muzzle when shooting.Robert

rfd
02-20-2017, 07:32 AM
Watch for the `confetti` shower at the muzzle when shooting.Robert

http://i.imgur.com/yVaa5P1.jpg