PDA

View Full Version : Lee ptx inserts in hornady powder measure... sleeve?

mistermog
02-17-2017, 11:45 AM
I know these aren't a drop in but I was thinking if we can make a sleeve for the diameter it should work...right?

Can anyone measure the diameter of the hornady expander or if they have both handy, both?

I believe that's the issue is the diameter, if there's something I don't know please let me know. I've never used the hornady expanders.

2011redrider
02-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Measured 9 and 40 lee sets at .544. Dont have any hornady ptx, but use the rcbs version and they work fine in the hornady or rcbs uniflow on my pro 2000 and they measure .603 on the sleeve. Hope this helps. The rcbs expanders have the 2 step expander plug.

mistermog
02-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Yeah I have 7 lee sets at home, I'm just at work thinking how to do this. That's the question, what makes the hornady different. :) hmm if the rcbs work in the hornady, and they are 603... looks like .05" or so... heh that's pretty thin.

The lee expanders seem to have quite a lot of room in the hornady drop, I believe that's the issue but now that I'm thinking about it, could be tapering at the top end?

mistermog
02-17-2017, 03:36 PM
Or... hmm.. an adapter to put the hornady drop onto the lee due in place of the little stopper?

Kenstone
02-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Why not just buy a Lee powder thru the expander die, a couple of risers, a Lee Auto Drum measure, and ditch the Hornady powder measure.
You won't be sorry...
:smile:

mistermog
02-17-2017, 08:18 PM
I have all the lee dies and I like the hornady measure. So instead of just buying more stuff.....make it work together. Kumbayah etc :)

Kenstone
02-17-2017, 09:34 PM
Do you have a lathe?
If you can make a sleeve, you can make a Lee clone expander that's the right OD/length to fit the Hornady measure drop tube.
Seems like a long way to go to get there though.
:D
Edit: I have 2 RCBS Measures with that same clap trap case operated powder drop assembly as the Hornady...gathering dust on a shelf on my loading bench.
:D

mistermog
02-17-2017, 09:50 PM
Actually i was just upstairs playing around... to get the lee expanders to work, the height of them has to be changed too, I can't get the stupid lee ones to work with the powder measure with any combination of drop tubes with the proper alignment :) its like they knew! hahahah oh well, i may just punt. unless i make new tubes this isnt gonna work (no i dont have access to a lathe, id have to sweet talk someone.... may just end up buying the stupid hornady inserts now :( disheartened now