PDA

View Full Version : BAC vs. NRA 50/50

Petrol & Powder
02-17-2017, 09:16 AM
OK, first an apology if this was covered somewhere but I searched and searched with no luck in finding something directly on topic.

I like simple logistics. In fact, the desire to keep my logistic simple drives a lot of my decisions.

In my never ending efforts to keep my logistics simple, I selected White Label BAC as my primary handgun bullet lube. It does a lot of things well and I'm satisfied with it.

My experience with the old stand-by NRA 50/50 was positive but BAC edged it out because it proved to be just a bit more universal for my needs. My reloading/shooting practices have changed a bit and I'm having second thoughts about my decision to abandon 50/50 in favor of BAC.

The bulk of my needs are centered around 38 Special and downloaded 44 Mag loads (Skeeter equivalent), all at or below 1000fps.
BAC is a bit more friendly when the lubed bullets need to be stored before loading into cartridges and BAC proved to be a better lube for 9mm and magnum revolver cartridges.

Anyone have experiences on point that they are willing to share?
Thanks in advance.

lotech
02-17-2017, 10:39 AM
In the last forty+ years of casting, I've tried a variety of lubes in rifles or handguns. As many here do, I also tried making my own. I've tested lubes side-by-side in rifle and handguns. Overall, I've always found far less difference in lubes than what I had anticipated before comparisons, except for my homemade stuff; it was inferior. If bullet fit and alloy are right or even close to right, the lube makes little, if any, difference in accuracy, bore leading, etc.

As with everything else, there are always exceptions. High velocity may be one of them. At 2,000 - 2,500 fps or more, there may be a big difference in lubes that I know nothing about. For all handgun loads, I always seem to go back to a half & half lube after trying something else. I've been using LBT Blue or Soft and some others for years with rifle loads, but a half & half lube (or many others) should work fine.

ShooterAZ
02-17-2017, 10:43 AM
The 50/50 that I have used in the past was VERY soft. Lubed boolits stored in a plastic tub at room temperature turned into a sticky mess. I have not had this problem with BAC, even though it's quite soft. I use it it both handgun and rifle loads up to 2000fps, no leading and a bright shiny bore. It is my all around lube. In warmer months I will mix a stick of CR with 4 sticks BAC to stiffen the lube up a little bit. If you don't want to entirely abandon 50/50, you should try some of White Label 2500+. Basically a stiffened 50/50. I'm looking forward to trying Lar's new Blue lube, hearing good things about it.

TCFAN
02-17-2017, 11:47 AM
I have 4 Lyman 450's on my bench 2 have BAC one has 2500+ and the fourth has Speed Green. They all work just fine for handguns for me.Now for rifle I have been using BAC in my 30-30 bench gun and 2500+ for my 222 cast loads.Really I think any of these 3 lubes would work well at least for me in any application that I might use them in.If I had to choose one I would pick BAC because I like the color...............Terry

runfiverun
02-17-2017, 12:26 PM
if you want it a titch softer just add a flat tsp of lanolin or Vaseline to a stick of the BAC.
I shot the BAC with lanolin for a long time the only thing I didn't like about it was you had to burn the first round or two to get it to group well, but after that you literally could shoot it all day long.

dkf
02-17-2017, 05:35 PM
I'd just keep using the BAC on everything. I load slow for some calibers and don't bother to change lube. BAC works very well at a good price.

dragon813gt
02-17-2017, 06:51 PM
I settled on 2500+ because it's more versatile than BAC and 50/50. Works great in everything from low power pistol rounds to full power rifle rounds. Downside is it makes a mess when it comes to long term storage. I use CR for bulk long term storage of pistol bullets. But it doesn't perform as well for me as 2500+ does. He just introduced Carnauba Blue and I have twenty four sticks sitting on the kitchen counter. I'm hoping it's not as tacky as 2500+ but gives me the performance.

Petrol & Powder
02-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards staying with BAC but I'm about to restock and wanted to think it over before I ordered more.

pworley1
02-17-2017, 08:49 PM
BAC has been my universal pistol and under 2000 rifle lube for a long time. I have been using their new Carnauba Blue for the last few weeks and it is looking very promising.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-18-2017, 02:25 PM
I can share my experiences...
I've used both, as well as some other lubes.
Most anything will work (shooting wise) for moderately loaded pistol ammo when temperatures in your shooting environment aren't too cold or too hot.

So what are the negatives of NRA 50/50 and BAC? I've found them both to be smoky and tacky. BAC is less tacky than NRA 50/50, but (due to the carnuba) there can be some tendencies to cause first shot fliers during cold weather shooting. Tackiness is more of a nuisance during handling boolits, than it is a real problem. If Smokiness hasn't been a problem for you, then no worries, but some people don't like the smell of Alox smoke.

with all that said, SL68B solves those issues as well as many others, that's why I stick with that.

Shiloh
02-20-2017, 08:06 PM
Been using BAC for everything. 1900 is as fast as I have taken it in rifle, but my best accuracy is with less velocity.

Shiloh