PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Rolling Block 45-70

clum553946
02-17-2017, 03:21 AM
Does anyone have any info or experience with the Pedersoli Rolling Block 45-70 with double set triggers? Looks interesting to say the least!

gandydancer
02-17-2017, 03:58 AM
I have one in 40-65 single trigger & a 30"Barrel with tang sights, I have only shot it a few times with factory ammo. I am going to be working with it very soon with a heavier lead bullet paper patch & some holy black.I am expecting it to shoot very well, every pedersoli rifle I have ever owned after a work up shot very well, :drinks:

Mitch
02-17-2017, 10:23 PM
They are very interesting>I am moveing pretty slow with mine but still it is a good shooting rifle.i have everything but a mold for it.I cast some boolits with countrygent for it and it realy shows some good thing so far with BP loads.I have the 1874 sharps sporeter with lee shaver midrange tang site.my fist rifle with the double set trigger very sweet it is.I have a mold coming within the next few weeks.nothing like the ring of steel with it.great fun.i have a ways to go to get it shooting the way it is capable of but I will get there.

marlinman93
02-17-2017, 11:05 PM
I love Rolling Blocks, but will continue to build them up from donor military original actions. Still plenty of the old military rifles and actions around that are cheap and not worth saving as originals. I'm just starting another I picked up in .43 Spanish as a barreled action for $150. Great bore, but I just needed the action. The nice barrel can go to somebody who is saving one.
I bought everything except the Green Mountain .40 Caliber barrel from Numrich Gun Parts. They have all the leftover parts from the custom shop Rolling Blocks that Remington ran not many years ago. So ordered a deluxe pistol grip stock, with ebony inlet wedge, and checkered steel buttplate, and checkering, plus a matching checkered forearm with color cased forearm tip. Also ordered the Remington pistol grip lower tang to convert my gun to the pistol grip stock. A whopping $244 in parts, and $16 shipping. Add the $150 for the barreled action, and the $220 I gave for the 1.125" full octagon GM .40 cal. 1:16" twist barrel; and it makes an inexpensive gun. Will have another $250 in rust bluing and color casehardening the action, but still less than anything close to it new or used.

country gent
02-17-2017, 11:12 PM
I have the sharps long range model with double set triggers and after a couple thousand rounds I had to re adjust the trigger a little. (hammer wouldn't always stay cocked). Its been good ever since for several thousand rounds. The double set triggers are nice, but then so is a Lee Shaver set up single trigger. The triggers are good and very useable. The roller is a great action and very durable. WHat are your intended uses for this thunder stick?

Toymaker
02-18-2017, 10:06 AM
I have the Pedersoli Creedmore No. 2 in 45-70 ..... not the John Bodine. I love it. I use it in local Ram Bash silhouette matches. I've been using it for a couple of years now and it is a lot of fun to shoot.

Kraschenbirn
02-18-2017, 03:56 PM
My Pedersoli RB is an approximation of the #1 1/2 Heavy Sporter - 30" half-octagon, straight stock, single trigger, Lee Shaver sights. Had it for a little over 4 years and it's still one of my favorite shooters.

Bill

clum553946
02-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Thnx for the replies everyone! I don't hunt, but mainly target shoot, both casually & competitively (pistols) & always wanted to try long range targets. I really don't need one of these, but they really appeal to me. I have an original Remington Roller in 32-20 that I enjoy & also an old Trapdoor in 45-70 that's fun to shoot. I have absolutely no experience with the Sharps design rifles. How would you compare them to a roller?

I have the sharps long range model with double set triggers and after a couple thousand rounds I had to re adjust the trigger a little. (hammer wouldn't always stay cocked). Its been good ever since for several thousand rounds. The double set triggers are nice, but then so is a Lee Shaver set up single trigger. The triggers are good and very useable. The roller is a great action and very durable. WHat are your intended uses for this thunder stick?

Bad Ass Wallace
02-19-2017, 05:11 PM
I have both Sharps, RB and Martini BPCR rifles. The Sharps is very accurate, double set triggers and easy to load even with my left hand.
Second preference would be the Martini (40/65) easy of loading and extraction. The roller is a fine rifle but it has no camming action to seat a round into the breech and ingauge the rifling.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Martini_RB.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/Martini_RB.jpg.html)

rfd
02-19-2017, 07:11 PM
pedersoli rollers are the best (if not only?) commercial rollers, i've had them in .45-70 and .40-65, currently use the .45-70 "adobe walls"model, all are dst target models only, all fitted with lee shaver super grade sights. love the pedi rollers, here are a few ...

http://i.imgur.com/SLIVjrK.jpg

JimP.
02-23-2017, 12:23 AM
i have one in 45-70, love the double triggers, my rifle likes the Lyman 457125 bullet which weighs 500 grs and is a roundnose bullet. My load is 25 grs of AA 5744 powder and the rifle is very accurate. Love it. Enjoy. JimP.

Area Man
02-23-2017, 10:51 AM
I have the Pedersoli Creedmore No. 2 in 45-70 ..... not the John Bodine. I love it. I use it in local Ram Bash silhouette matches. I've been using it for a couple of years now and it is a lot of fun to shoot.

You and I have the exact same gun!

Bad Ass Wallace
02-23-2017, 07:07 PM
I'm using 1:30 alloy with the 545gn "PGT" boolit. Proven very accurate to 1000 yds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/PGTmold.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/PGTmold.jpg.html)

country gent
02-23-2017, 09:00 PM
There are good and bad to both. The sharps is a very solid lock up and easy to work with. It rides the sticks well. The side hammer is easier to deal with for some and the under lever gives a little more ommph for extraction. The roller is a center hammer and is easier to load with a period style scope on it. Another is the roller is easier to shoot prone as you don't have to roll up to cycle the action to load. Bioth are solid desighns and very accurate rifles. The roller may be a little harder to rebarrel keeping the block face square and true.

hunter64
03-08-2017, 08:37 AM
pedersoli rollers are the best (if not only?) commercial rollers, i've had them in .45-70 and .40-65, currently use the .45-70 "adobe walls"model, all are dst target models only, all fitted with lee shaver super grade sights. love the pedi rollers, here are a few ...

http://i.imgur.com/SLIVjrK.jpg

Where did you get the lace on recoil pads? They look great.

rfd
03-08-2017, 09:05 AM
those are kick killers (http://www.kick-killer-recoil-pads.com/), with akton gel cushions inside - Extremely effective in helping to mitigate the recoil. i've fired nearly 100 rounds of .45-70 cartridges loaded with 82 grains of swiss 1-1/2f under a 523 grain boolit, all in one morning and no shoulder issues at all. all my bp rifles sport kick killers or i don't shoot 'em ... have one reserved for the forth coming shiloh sharps. ;)

KenH
03-08-2017, 11:03 AM
How does that "Kick Killer' work? Is it just a gel pad inside to absorb recoil? OR, is there some type of "magic" inside the pad? Thanks for any info.

Ken H>

rfd
03-08-2017, 11:29 AM
yes, a 1/2" thick shaped gel inside the stitched leather boot. click on the words "kick killers" in my above post to visit their site and read about it all.

KenH
03-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Yep, I had went to the link but didn't find how it worked - this time I found the Akton AE-Polymer link and read about it. I just might order one of those for my 45-70. Of course, that means I really need 3 or 4 of them for all the old rifles.

Thanks for the explanation.

Ken H>

Sigmanz
03-14-2017, 01:50 PM
I have an older model Pedersoli long range Creedmore in 45-70. Had it for pushing 20 years. Wonderful rifle.

KenH
03-17-2017, 04:53 PM
those are kick killers (http://www.kick-killer-recoil-pads.com/), with akton gel cushions inside - Extremely effective in helping to mitigate the recoil. i've fired nearly 100 rounds of .45-70 cartridges loaded with 82 grains of swiss 1-1/2f under a 523 grain boolit, all in one morning and no shoulder issues at all. all my bp rifles sport kick killers or i don't shoot 'em ... have one reserved for the forth coming shiloh sharps. ;)

OK, you cost me $40 - let's see how it works. When I see it works really good, you might have cost me $80 {g}

Ken H>