PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: New XDS 40 FDE.

Idaho45guy
02-16-2017, 08:51 PM
My new replacement for my S&W Shield 9mm Performance Center fiasco arrived today, so I took it out to my dad's place to break it in, despite the awful weather. 39 degrees, heavy rain, fog, flooding, and gusting winds to 30mph...

First, the kinda' bad...

Did a couple of magazines of off-hand 7yd shooting and noticed a big difference between it and my Shield; very heavy trigger pull. Springfield Armory lists it at between 5.5 and 7.7lbs. Shield was at 5.5lbs measured and I completely forgot to measure this one while at my dad's place, but it is definitely in the 7-8lb range. Good short reset, not too much creep, and less mushy than the Shield's, but noticeably heavy.

When doing double-tap drills it is not really noticeable and feels fine. When doing fine sighting work at 25yds, it is very noticeable, but I still was able to get very good groups.

However, by the end of my brief range session of maybe two hours, my trigger finger was hurting. The center metal piece on the trigger is a torture device. I've had multiple pistols with the 2-piece triggers and various pieces that stick out to prevent activation of the trigger without full purchase. This one is the first painful one I've encountered.

Going from shooting a ported 9mm to a .40 S&W makes the recoil very noticeable. At first. After 100rds of various bullet weights, and then shooting my M&P40 Compact, it really isn't too bad. Doing the double-tap drills and just plinking, it was fine.

Now for the good stuff...

Sights are excellent. Fiber optic red front sight with rear Novak-style low profile non-adjustable white dots. Front sight fills the rear sight notch perfectly and I was able to get great groups.

Overall size and heft feels slightly bigger than the Shield and little heavier. I believe the official numbers have the XDS at around an ounce and a half heavier.

Overall quality and fit/finish of the XDS is slightly better than the Shield; it just feels nicer... Also, the XDS controls and slide are easier to manipulate. I don't know why, but it just works better for me.

Now for the really good stuff...

This thing is accurate. It has a 3.3" barrel and combat sights. I was shooting cheap practice ammo. It shouldn't be this accurate. Of course I expect 2" - 2.5" groups at 25yds from my full-size pistols, and 1.5" or better out of my Ruger BH Bisley. But to get 1 3/4" groups from a sub-compact carry pistol using Winchester White Box ammo is impressive. The worst groups I got were from some off-brand stuff I've had laying around for 15 years. It got 2.5". It shoots slightly to the left, but nothing I'm too concerned about.

I'll let the pictures do the talking...

Shooting off-hand at 7yds and 14rds...

By comparison, this is the best that my Shield could do at 25yds...

Overall, I'm very happy with the pistol. It conceals nicely and points and shoots very nicely. I think it will make a fine CCW pistol when used with a Remora holster. I would like to address the trigger issues and I've got a Pachmyr grip sleeve ordered to tone down the grip serrations, but at least now I know that if I do my part, I will hit what I'm aiming at.

bedbugbilly
02-16-2017, 10:14 PM
First . . . what's that white stuff on the ground in your photos? :-)

Good write up and I found your experiences interesting to read about. I was wondering if the trigger was biting because of the recoil when I read that portion. Any way that could be polished a little with a dremel tool and a buffing wheel with a little rouge on it?

I have a 9mm Shield but am looking at going to a 45acp and I'm still wavering between a Glock and a Springfield. I now, both are great guns . . . . nice to see someone's experiences with the Springfield as it seemed to live up to the great reputation they have. Congrats on your new carry and enjoy!

Idaho45guy
02-16-2017, 10:26 PM
The .45 Shields have been getting some great reviews; I haven't found anyone that doesn't love theirs. I was very tempted to go with the Shield in .40 S&W, but after S&W failed to get my pistol right after sending it in and a 2-month turn around, I did my own little protest and went with the XDS.

IIRC, I considered the .45 Shield when it was first released and getting rave reviews, but it was comparable in size to my M&P40 Compact and I really liked the diminutive size of the 9mm Shield and wanted a truly sub-compact pistol. I know the XDS is the same size externally in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp.

35remington
02-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Forgiving a slight thread hijack, the thing I like about the 45 Shield variant is that it allows your third finger to get a grip on the pistol with the smaller capacity flush fit magazine. It really isn't much different in concealabilty for me over the 9mm and 40 variants, perhaps not surprising given I'm just under 6' 3" and go around 248 most days. I do carry appendix IWB all the time.

Happy to hear you found something you like after the earlier difficulties. I have heard some complain about the grip safety on the XD's but being a 1911 guy I have never had any trouble gripping the pistol such that the safety is deactivated, even a hasty grip on the pistol.

I have a 40 Shield and it is snappy but quite manageable. At first I tended toward vertically strung groups but a little practice brought my shooting along nicely. A virtue of the 40 is very good power from short barrel lengths, which offset all the histrionics about the pistol being "uncontrollable." It most certainly is not unless you tend towards "limp noodle" handshakes. Any guy outside the old folk's home can control a small 40 with any amount of reasonable practice sessions.

Honestly, I have difficulty perceiving most of the plastikpistoles have any better "fit n' finish" than the competition. One seems very much like the other and quite frankly all are Glock inspired. We're not talking Les Baer 1911's here.....they are mass produced pistols made from molds and parts stamped out like so many cookies.

scattershot
02-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the great review. I have that pistol in 9mm. There are spring kits available to reduce the trigger pull, and several do it yourself ideas on You Tube. You may find That Talon grip tape will take the bite out of those cheese grater grips.

Congrats on your new pistol.

Lefty Red
02-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Yeah, the 40SW XDS is a hand full! Nothing fun about it. Love the 9mm and 45ACP versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmort
02-19-2017, 07:54 PM
So far I have been pleasantly surprised by my XDS 9mm. Really like the gun. I have not really noticed the trigger which I think is good thing. Had no intention of buying another gun at the show, and a guy had a NIB private sale late on the day of the show and he was more determined to make a deal than I was to avoid it. First gun with a laser. Glad I got it.

osteodoc08
02-20-2017, 03:12 AM
My XDS 45 is a fantastic little pocket rocket

Idaho45guy
03-12-2017, 03:10 AM
Tried some mild reloads through it last week and it really, really liked them. 155gr XTP with 4.7gr of Titegroup. Best off-hand group of a defensive pistol that I can recall in 35 years of shooting...

Cooked up some more rounds tonight using 5.7grs of Titegroup using the same boolit. Will see how it likes those next range trip.