PDA

View Full Version : Stevens Favorite

tall grass
07-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I like the looks of the little 30G Stevens Favorite single shot 22rf rifle, always wanted one. Are the new ones worth owning? What's the accuracy like? Would they make a good kid's rifle? Would like to get any thoughts you might have on them. Might just get one.

Thanks

Jim

Echo
07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
A great kids rifle - I taught my youngest son to shoot w/one (about age 6), and later did the same with granddaughter (same age). The main thing they should learn with it is focus and concentration on the subject at hand - accuracy is of little moment at this level of marksmanship. When they get to the point where they are keeping them all in the black @ 25 yards - use a smaller target!

Angus in Wyoming
07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
My son started on one too. Nice little gun. The trigger is very stiff. I tried several times to make it better, but still hard to pull. It is crisp, but tough. Not a bad thing for a kid gun. While the outside looks like the Favorite, the inside does not. Screws instead of pins and the list goes on. We did mount a tang, peep sight, even though there is no tang. I bought one that is made by Taurus for a pump gun, I think. We have one screw in the receiver and one in the wood. I think it was a great decision. Peeps are very easy for kids to use. My son is now 9 and shoots indoor Schuetzen (.22) and a 38-55 in buffalo shoots. Both of these use peep sights.

DLCTEX
07-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I saw an article a while back of making a 30G into a breakdown. I thought it would be simple to make it a switch barrel, and am still intrigued by the idea of changing it to 22 mag., 17 HMR, 17 Mk.II, etc. DALE

357maximum
07-03-2008, 11:47 PM
I saw an article a while back of making a 30G into a breakdown. I thought it would be simple to make it a switch barrel, and am still intrigued by the idea of changing it to 22 mag., 17 HMR, 17 Mk.II, etc. DALE

Link???????

tall grass
07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys for the advice and comments. EasyEd the accuracy is for me, I shoot bad enough I don't need a gun helping me to be any worse. It doesn't have to be sub MOA but I'd like groups anyway. Angus, I will be investigating putting a peep sight on it. My eyes are already bad, started in my late forties. Gents I traded off my 10\22 for a Marlin in a 357 mag so don't even have a 22 rf. Time is overdue that I reconcile this neglect to the gun fraternity and get another 22 rf. May not get the Favorite but would really like to try one out. I think I would get the take down Dale. It would be something if you could get different barrels for it. Looking forward to teaching the girl to shoot.

Thanks

Jim

Jon K
07-10-2008, 10:22 AM
tall grass,

If you don't get the Stevens Favorite, consider this.......Marlin 39A, or Win 9422...............you won't regret it. Both are all time favorites, shoot great, and peep sights are readily available.

Jon

DLCTEX
07-10-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure which magazine I saw the article in. Basically they removed the barrel pin and drilled and tapped for a set screw with a knurled knob. I will try to find the article, but it was maybe as much as two years ago and I have lots of magazines to look through. Another rifle , a bolt action, had interchangable barrels that had color rings to designate the cal. It was pricy enough to make me think I'd rather go the Stevens route. DALE

whisler
07-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Have a friend who bought one for his 14 year od daughter. She absolutely loves it and shoots it very well ...when she can get it away from daddy.

tall grass
07-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Yep JonK, had one of those Marlin 39As. Sold it to my brother years ago and of course was going to turn around and get one in the Mountie. Well I've been looking on the gun auctions at those again and again. He likes to let me hold it every once in a while and then remind me that he only paid me $125 for it (anyway I'm not sure what he paid me for it back then but they are worth a lot more now).

got to go
later

Jim

44man
07-11-2008, 12:07 AM
I have a mint, original Crackshot. The bore is mint too but it shoots for crap. A BB gun is as accurate! :-D
The most accurate .22 I ever owned other then a 52 Winchester was the Marlin Mounty. 3/4" groups at 100 yd's back when ammo was made right.
The thing to watch on Marlin's is that the barrel can get loose in the receiver. You need to stipple it and epoxy it in to maintain accuracy when a scope is used. Worst thing I ever did was to trade it off.
I bought a new WW 9422 when they first came out. I shot 5 boxes of shells at a can at 25 yd's and doubt I hit it more then 10 times. It was gone the next day!

Bret4207
07-11-2008, 08:34 AM
You could go for something a little nicer and more original too- http://www.varnerguns.com/

Someday I want a few of those!

Echo
07-11-2008, 09:53 AM
TG, I didn't mean to imply that the gun wasn't accurate - I just never really checked it out, being more concerned with procedure than with results (for a 6-yr old).

tall grass
07-15-2008, 04:14 PM
44man I shot a friends Mountie when I was young and had good eyes, don't know if it would shoot 3\4" for sure but it would shoot right where you put the sights. I've wanted one every since then.

Bret4207 Ooh those are nice. Wonder what that would set me back.

EasyEd I knew what you were trying to say. Kids don't care as long as it goes bang and they can hit the tin can every once in a while.

Thanks

Jim

Bret4207
07-15-2008, 04:28 PM
TG- As I recall they weren't all that bad for what you got. IIRC around $650-700 would get you the top of the line model, but that was a few years back.

DLCTEX
07-16-2008, 10:21 PM
I finally found the article on making the 30 G a takedown. You know you're getting old when you think you read an article recently and it turns out it was 2001! LOL! Guns magazine Dec. 2001, pg. 79. I found a followup article in a 2005 magazine (I think) that says Savage responded to requests spurred by that article and is now producing a take down 30G. If anyone wants this article I will gladly photocopy the article and mail it to you. The thing that intrigued me was the thought that the takedown feature could be utilized to make it a switch barrel for 22 mag, 17 HMR, 17 MkII, 5mm Rem. mag., etc. DALE

quietmike
07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Savage already makes the 30g as a takedown.

Savage/Stevens favorite takedown (http://www.savagearms.com/30gtd.htm)

It's one that's on my list too.:-D

DLCTEX
07-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Has anyone priced the Varner? DALE