PDA

View Full Version : lyman spartan press part

porthos
02-16-2017, 06:43 PM
been on here a while ago with spartan question. now i figured out why i couldn't come up with the right combination of parts. i'm not only missing the ram; but also the linkage bar that connects to the ram. i can make that if i knew the dimensions. its just a bar with two holes in it. can anyone who has a spartan give me the dimensions of that bar. width, thickness and length. but most importantly; the holes center to center. makes me feel pretty dumb. but for those of you that are not older; remember to use age as a excuse to being dumb at times.

fecmech
02-16-2017, 09:29 PM
Lyman may have them available. That said here goes. Length=4.5"(with rounded ends) . Thickness = 1/4" Width =5/8 Hole spacing=3.85". Measurements were taken off my Lyman Spar T turret. Good luck.

Reverend Recoil
02-16-2017, 09:30 PM
I took mine apart and measured with a caliper. Linkage bar: 1/4"x5/8"x4 1/2". 1/4" hole at ram end and 5/16" hole at the other end, spaced 3.900" apart. Good luck with your project.

SARuger
02-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Its worth noting that on the toggle end of that linkage, there is a beveled washer and a slight cut out in the linkage for the washer. I'm guessing the washer takes up any slack in the connection. There is only one washer on one side of the linkage.

Here is a picture of the toggle/linkage/ram for reference when you put the parts together. the toggle can be set up for "ram up-handle up" or "ram up-handle down".

This is shown set up for "ram up-handle down", your typical modern press configuration.

SARuger
02-17-2017, 09:40 AM
I just restored a Lyman Spartan last week so my mental notes kicked in with this thread.

porthos
02-17-2017, 10:33 AM
thanks guys; you gave me all that i need. i have an older ram from a rock chucker that is "gouged".i'll clean it up and see if it will work. and make linkage with the info recieved.