PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Llama Model VIII in 38 super

Sghinds
02-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Anyone have any first hand experience with an older Llama 1911 pattern pistol. Not internet rumors, but actual hands on experience.

Do parts interchange with 1911 parts? I read where a gunsmith swapped parts and they fit except for some hand fitting on a few parts, which is normal for some 1911 parts.

I've always wanted a 1911 pattern pistol in 38 super but dont know much about the Llama except for internet rumors. But this one being an earlier model may not be prone to the rumors of quality issues.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-16-2017, 06:52 PM
Is this the model with the ventilated rib on top of the slide? If so, I don't believe that any parts are interchangeable with the 1911. That was the case with all Llama parts until their very last couple of models just before they went under. I have a pair of Max-I pistols that were down near the end of Llama, made in their last couple of years and about 90% of the parts will interchange--but not all.

Sghinds
02-16-2017, 07:18 PM
Yes, from the photos it does have a vented rib. Even if parts are not interchangeable, how was the reliability and function of the older guns? This one appears to be in really good condition.

FergusonTO35
02-17-2017, 02:42 PM
The Llama brand has apparently been revived by someone in the Phillippines and distributed by Eagle Imports. Probably Armscor/Rock Island with a different name.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-17-2017, 04:39 PM
I purchased a .45 ACP and .38 Super at the same time back in 1969. Both were reliable, reasonably accurate, not quite the quality of a Colt. Both had the ventilated rib and checkered wood grips. I would describe the accuracy as being combat adequate. They would keep all the shots in the vital zone of a silhouette target but few in the "X" ring. For some reason I had trouble locating Super ammo and could only get Super Vel. I tried a box and it was just a bit too much for noise, flash and recoil. Eventually I sold it at a gun show, and it hadn't been on the table for more that 3 minutes before one of our neighbors from south of the border snatched it up. I've kept the .45 for all these years and still shoot it once in awhile. I only had one problem with it which involved the firing pin sticking forward through the hole in the face of the slide and punching holes through primers. This was solved by gently rotating a round needle file in the hole, polishing the firing pin, and installing a new firing pin spring. I liked it enough that when the Max-I came along I bought a couple of that model. I also had one of the later versions when the ventilated rib was replaced by a solid rib and the grips were smooth wood. It was not very accurate and I also sold it.
188280This is the first .45. It has about 5,000 rounds through it, mostly hardball.
Click to enlarge.

188281This is a Max-1 model. Some of these have the nickel furniture and some are all blue. This is the model that most parts will interchange with a 1911.

Not long after the Max-1 model Llama went out of business as such, and was taken over by an employee co-op called Fabrinor, and the pistol became Firestorm. That only lasted a couple of years and the remaining history is kind of murky. I've heard/read that the Firestorm was manufactured for a short time in Argentina by Bersa, but other sources say that they only considered it and didn't actually produce any. A sad ending for one of Spain's better pistol makers.

FergusonTO35
02-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Pistols under the Firestorm name have been produced by Bersa, however they were variations of the Thunder series.

rintinglen
02-17-2017, 08:17 PM
I had one briefly in the late seventies that was a nice looking, honest pistol. Not the most accurate gun, 4-5 inches at 25 yards, but thoroughly reliable with hardball or H&G 68's. I sold it when I was divorcing my ex-wife to come up with the moola to pay for my get out of jail free card. I have a mini-max now which is also a reliable shooter with non-hollowpoint boolits. I'd buy one if the price was nice. Knowing that many parts won't swap with out fitting between it and a for-real Colt.

2ndAmendmentNut
02-17-2017, 08:51 PM
I've only had experience with two Llamas. One was a 22lr the other a 380acp. Neither were reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk