PDA

View Full Version : How do you shoot your contender pistol?

nagantguy
02-16-2017, 10:56 AM
I've been shooting the early contender in 44 mag that I posted about around Christmas time, any how I've found this particular gal likes to be held in a crushing death grip with no part of the barrel or frame resting/touching anything,from the bench I just support the wrists, bags under the forearm or butt on the bench always shoots high, still consistent but always high, funny thing is the guy I bought her from always used bipods, had a ruger super red hawk years ago, same thing didn't want anything in contact with her while shooting! Is this common on early contenders ? Should I think about maybe an over sized hinge pin ? The reason I ask is that my next barrel will be a 14 inch 357 max and I'd like to set it up with bipods for long work, 150 to 200?

modified5
02-16-2017, 11:16 AM
I shoot mine with the fore end resting on something. It too is an early style. Depending on the barrel they shoot well under moa at 100.
My best group with my 7L&L is 3\8 3 shot at 100. But any shooting high may be adjusted out with the scope?
I have an open sighted 30-30 barrel that I have yet to wring out.

Nobade
02-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Yep, I rest the forend and make sure the bottom of the grip never touches anything. Otherwise I get vertical stringing.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

kenyerian
02-16-2017, 05:33 PM
Shooting from the bench I like to use a rest under the fore end and a bag under the grip. In the woods I use a shooting stick.

kenyerian
02-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Shooting from the bench I like to use a rest under the fore end and a bag under the grip. In the woods I use a shooting stick. P. S, Look up Don Bower, He shot long range with Contenders. Mike Bellm has a nice article on him.
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=583&