PDA

View Full Version : Tarus Thunderbolt. Its not a Leever but this is the best place to ask.

GARD72977
02-15-2017, 11:56 PM
I was on the phone again tonight and found a deal I could not resist. TSS warehouse has Blems for 338.00 shipped. Ended up being 341.00 with Insurance. Blued and Stainless available. I got a blued gun.

Just looking for a 50yd off hand gun to add the safe (like i need another one)

Anyone shooting one of these?

runfiverun
02-16-2017, 01:01 AM
had one.
after shooting the USFA, the clunk shunk clack Taurus went down the road.

ReloaderFred
02-16-2017, 01:22 AM
I've got a stainless one in .357 Magnum. It resides in the safe, unused.

Fred

KCSO
02-16-2017, 09:51 AM
Shot one for a while in 45 Colt and it worked just fine. The sights were replaced with a gold bead and marbles rear. Accuracy was OK but not fantastic. It did kill a deer fro a friend of mine who still has it and still uses it. Slug the barrel as some run oversize.

northmn
02-16-2017, 12:01 PM
Looked at one on the U Tube. Interesting rifle.

DP

Nobade
02-16-2017, 02:04 PM
I think it is Roy Bertholo who has a good write-up on his web site about rebarreling one of those to get it to finally work right. He liked it once he worked it over.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Rebel Dave
02-16-2017, 03:06 PM
I just picked up one of these myself. I havn't shot it yet.
Some of the things I found were.... the action needed a good honing a with stone to get rid of the sharp edges, and de-burring, and cleaning...... The mainspring was so strong it made it real hard to operate the action. My remedy for that was to install about 4-5 small washers under the spring, which made it real slick, and gave it a nice 4lb trigger pull. You will have to replace the main spring screw to do this as the original will be to short, with the washers under it. I found that you can use a longer 10/32 screw, in place of the original. A washer under the mainspring will change the fulcrum of the spring, giving less upward pressure on the hammer. Mine will feed, and eject my .45 blanks nice and slick now. You will have to make more room in the stock, where the mainspring is, so it will clear the stock inlet under the tang.
I also stripped, and refinished, the stock and forearm, getting rid of that ugly black paint (? ) on it.
I am going to go shoot it this weekend, if all goes well. You got that rifle at a steel.

Rebel Dave

GARD72977
02-18-2017, 01:29 PM
I think this gun will be fine for me. Im just goung to use it as a range gun. I dont compete in the Cowboy action game. USPSA eats all my time. Cant wait for this one to mome in. I have always loved the Colt Lightning. I almost bought the Pedersoli from Cabelas when they were on sale. Just glad to pick this one up at a good price.

Bad Ass Wallace
02-18-2017, 04:34 PM
I have the Pedersoli version in 44/40 WCF, the main difference is the trigger block that prevents the Ped rifle from "slam firing" whilst the Taurus will (same as the original Colt). My has a 26" barrel and I removed the limiting magazine block so it now holds 14 rounds!:Fire:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/154V923_zpsfaf346a5.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/154V923_zpsfaf346a5.jpg.html)

GARD72977
02-18-2017, 08:36 PM
That pedersoli is a very pretty rifle

kingstrider
02-19-2017, 04:04 AM
Call me crazy but I have been thinking of getting one of these and submitting a Form 1 to convert it to a SBR.

Bad Ass Wallace
02-19-2017, 05:04 PM
The other annoying thing with the Ped is that you cannot 'top up' the magazine like you can with a Winchester, but overall, very accurate and reliable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/BAW_c_zps7ded1d8a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/BAW_c_zps7ded1d8a.jpg.html)

GooseGestapo
02-21-2017, 09:06 PM
A friend of mine has one. It shoots well with cast bullets using 8.2gr of Universal under a Lee .452" 255gr RFN. This is a little warmer than listed max for Colt SAA, but it maintains case obturation till bullet exits the barrel eliminating blow by. Chrono's 1,150fps.
We call it the "hill billy assault rifle". We had neighbor call sheriff's office and reported us for shooting a machine gun. I've known the sheriff for 30+yrs so we got a kick out of it. Though sheriff was disappointed as he'd hoped I'd let him shoot the "machine gun"!

Funny thing about this gun is that the bullet impact is louder than the muzzle blast. (Likewise my 24"bbl Win M94).
Dont underestimate the load though. My friend killed a 100lb doe with his. Bullet hit chest and exited the ham. ~30" penetration. 1/2" hole in and 1/2" hole out! Short, wide blood trail, in rain!