PDA

View Full Version : TC Maxi Mold Question

54bore
02-15-2017, 09:34 PM
Anyone ever had an old TC Maxi Mold show flaking? It's Whatever the coating they used it starts to flake, looks like paint chipping? I have seen this with 2 of these Old TC Aluminum molds. I recently sold all 9 of my TC Molds, this particular TC Maxi design shot the best out of all 5 .54 Cal mold designs i owned, the Hunter molds didn't shoot that great. I had this exact mold but let it go when i sold all of them recently, then i ran across this one the other day REALLY cheap, i felt kinda bad about getting rid of this one in particular since i poured these for my dad, and for the price I couldn't resist picking it up. The one I recently sold had this same flaking deal, any of you guys seen this, had this happen with a TC Mold? The flaking is so thin you can't feel it, it didn't effect anything with the one i sold, i am just curious about it.

mooman76
02-15-2017, 10:55 PM
I haven't seen anything like it. I have 4 or 5 and seen others in photos. I wouldn't think it matters much or effects casting any either. Maybe helped you get them cheap though.

54bore
02-15-2017, 11:21 PM
I haven't seen anything like it. I have 4 or 5 and seen others in photos. I wouldn't think it matters much or effects casting any either. Maybe helped you get them cheap though.

I have seen this at least 2 different times, like i said above The twin Mold to this one that I recently sold was worse than this one, but again it didn't seem to effect casting any? Bullets stil dropped from the mold good, i dont remember seeing it in the bullets that i casted?

koger
02-16-2017, 01:20 AM
This is just a colored anodizing on the aluminum blocks, does not hinder performance in any way. The TC, and Green Mtn molds all had that in common.

54bore
02-16-2017, 01:41 AM
This is just a colored anodizing on the aluminum blocks, does not hinder performance in any way. The TC, and Green Mtn molds all had that in common.

Thanks Koger, Color anodized makes sense, even tho it looks like flakes/chips you can not feel them.

triggerhappy243
02-16-2017, 05:44 AM
I have that exact mold. mine looks just like it.

RBak
02-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Yep, that's what they look like.
Can't "feel" 'em but you can certainly see 'em.
They have never seemed to bother anything, so I just keep on using them

Russ

tomme boy
02-18-2017, 01:32 AM
My 50 cal one is flaking too. But I think mine is more of a purple color. I think. I will have to dig it out again. It is aluminum I remember that.