PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt Blanks

Iron Whittler
02-15-2017, 08:49 PM
I would like to make up some blanks for the 45 Colt. Need them to be noisy and have a lot of flash. Got any suggestions? Thanks Iron Whittler

dbosman
02-15-2017, 11:23 PM
Black powder under a glued in thick paper or card wad. The wad will be dangerous for many feet.
Starline makes 5in1 blank brass. https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/5-in-1-Blank-Brass/index.cfm
Available by the 100 from https://www.midwayusa.com/product/418223/starline-reloading-brass-5-in-1-blank-box-of-100-bulk-packaged

To the best of my knowledge, the two commercial powders that used to be available for blanks are now only available to licensed pyro techs. Others with more knowledge should be able to confirm or bust that.

bedbugbilly
02-16-2017, 04:15 PM
As already mentioned - whatever you use over the powder whether it be a card or a wax plug, etc. - it becomes a "projectile" and can easily do harm if someone is in the way.

smkummer
02-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Start with about 1/2 of the case filled with 700X powder, then use cardboard to fill it to the top with a crimp. Use a flared empty case to cut cardboard for a wad. This should be enough pressure to not have to drill out the primer pocket. If the primer backs out, then use more 700X. It works, that is what I use and don't have to clean up black powder afterwards. Plenty loud. I fill 38 special to the top with 700X and compress with cardboard wads. Nice and loud.

clearcut
02-23-2017, 09:28 PM
For gun fight shows the wad can be made from 1/2 " of floral foam pressed by hand from the top, self cutting, black powder makes lots of smoke. The foam turns to dust when fired but still dangerous at close range!!

CC

Intel6
02-26-2017, 01:15 PM
I made for a while for a ceremonial Cav Troop. I loaded black powder and used wads punched out of a cork sheet meant. I compressed the powder colum with the cork sheet wad on top with a .44 mag flat seating stem in a 45 colt seating die. The wad holds the charge fine but breaks up into bits of cork when fired.