PDA

View Full Version : That gun you can't own

Petrol & Powder
02-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Occasionally I'll be shooting with friends and someone will produce a gun and ask if I want to shoot a few rounds down range.
Well of course the answer is YES!
Generally I shoot a few rounds and the experience is enjoyable. I hand the gun back to its owner with a sincere "Thank You".

Every once in a blue moon the gun will just click with me and I know want it but I can't possibly acquire it.

On one occasion it was a rifle that balanced just right and had a trigger that wasn't great but worked for me. Even with iron sights and shooting offhand I couldn't miss with it.
Another time it was a shotgun that felt like it was made for me and smoked the first target that was thrown.
The other day it was about a 50 year old S&W that I bonded with on the first shot.

Sometimes the gun is valued beyond my budget.
Sometimes the possessor doesn't actually own the gun and they cannot sell it.
Sometimes the owner has no intention of ever selling it.

Regardless of the situation it is always fun and a bit frustrating.

Anyone else have these experiences?

smokeywolf
02-15-2017, 07:40 PM
Not quite like that but, wish I had at least one of the cannons (Navy line thrower) that Dad used to own. Also the mint 19th century Gatling gun that stood on a mahogany tripod in one end of his shop and a original Henry that he converted to center fire.

Mytmousemalibu
02-15-2017, 07:40 PM
Yup, happens to me plenty. I always leave with that person the comment, "If you ever want or need to sell that gun, please let me know!" I actually did get the opportunity to buy one such example and I happily paid for it! You never know...

The most recent was a shooting club friend has an old S&W revo that was his police service sidearm he carried back in the 60's & 70's. He said there was no way he could sell it, the sentimental value was uncharted which I can't blame him, i wouldn't sell it either but it will likely be passed on to his son some day. I said the offer remains just in case. I'd care for and love it as much as he does. Some guns we just form an immediate bond to and are special to us.

sawinredneck
02-15-2017, 07:46 PM
I want my STOLEN Colt Anaconda 6" back!
I can't even think about replacing it with the prices they go for now!

dbosman
02-15-2017, 07:46 PM
I own a single shot bolt action .22LR that doesn't shoot for **** and I stopped caring decades ago. I like it.

Blackwater
02-15-2017, 08:06 PM
I doubt there's a real shooter alive who hasn't experienced this! Sometimes you don't even need to shoot it. Went by the LGS today and they had a H&K double 12 ga. made in Italy with REALLY nicely figured walnut for a stock, and I just fell in love with it. Then, as usual, I checked out the price tag, and it was $1500. I always get a "deal" there, but not enough to take it home, unfortunately. As "sour grapes theory," I told myself it had a straight grip, and I don't particularly care for a full straight grip. The "Prince of Wales" grip is a lot more my style. It just feels "natural" to me.

They also had a post-'74 Colt DS in .38 Spec., blued with Pachmyr stocks that I would love to have. Mine's a pre-'74, and won't take +P ammo, but I love that little gun anyway. I'd have traded if allowed, but it's a consignment gun. I never seem to get a break!!! I won't even ask if anyone else's luck is like mine. I already know the answer. I think it's a cousin of Murphy's Law???

Kraschenbirn
02-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Oh yeah!! A guy down the road...not a 'buddy' but I do drink a beer with him from time to time...has a .300 H&H built on a Brevex Mauser action that I truly covet. He inherited his father's guns but doesn't hunt or shoot...rifle has been racked next to his bookcase, unfired, for the entire 40-some years I've known him. Last time I looked at it closely, it had been wiped down with a sheepskin lanolin pad (that I gave him!!) but the bore was so full of accumulated dust/lint that you could barely see light through it.

Bill

FergusonTO35
02-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Yup, a Ruger KGPF-840. It is a GP-100 stainless, 4" half lug barrel, fixed sights, .38 Special (not .357) chambering. Ruger only made them for a year or so, I will forever kick myself for not buying one new in 2002. I do have a 1988 Service Six in the same configuration though. Yeah I'm weird, I like full size .38 Special revolvers. I can't explain it, if you share the affliction no explanation is necessary.

Petrol & Powder
02-15-2017, 09:38 PM
Yup, a Ruger KGPF-840. It is a GP-100 stainless, 4" half lug barrel, fixed sights, .38 Special (not .357) chambering. Ruger only made them for a year or so, I will forever kick myself for not buying one new in 2002. I do have a 1988 Service Six in the same configuration though. Yeah I'm weird, I like full size .38 Special revolvers. I can't explain it, if you share the affliction no explanation is necessary.
I hope that liking full size 38 Special revolvers doesn't make one too weird because if that's true I'm REALLY weird. I have that affliction!

Finster101
02-15-2017, 09:42 PM
Back in 82 or 83 I can't remember for sure I was working part time at the Rod & Gun club In Fuerth. We got two Sako 7mm mags with a heavy varmint barrel in. Why I didn't buy one I don't know. I have never seen another.

exile
02-15-2017, 09:43 PM
I was in a gun shop in Olathe, KS., in 1995 and they had an un-fired Belgian Browning HP on consignment from an estate that they only wanted $ 500.00 for. As I was between jobs at the time, I had to pass it up. Still regret that.

exile

tazman
02-15-2017, 10:04 PM
Back in the middle eighties my wife got sick and I had to sell some guns. One was a Remington 760 in 30-06 that was unusual in that it shot every weight of bullet I tried into the same 2 inch circle at 100 yards. I sold that rifle to a friend of mine. A few years later, I told him if he ever needed some money, I would buy that rifle back.
As it happened he did sell it back to me a couple of years after that.
It still shoots any weight of bullet into that same 2 inch group.
I haven't tried to find a particular combination that shoots better since it is my designated hunting rifle and 2 inches at 100 yards is fine for that.

Firebricker
02-15-2017, 10:24 PM
I was working in Utah and found a Ruger #3 in .22 Hornet for $600. I get a sick feeling every time I think about it. It was what I was looking for so why I walked out with out it I will never know ! FB

Tim357
02-15-2017, 10:34 PM
I hope that liking full size 38 Special revolvers doesn't make one too weird because if that's true I'm REALLY weird. I have that affliction!
Amen!

sghart3578
02-15-2017, 10:42 PM
I have that same problem but for different reasons. I live in California and my local gun stores all have a shelf designated "for sale to Law Enforcement only".

That's bad enough but there is always some cop standing there while I'm looking at the forbidden fruit. Fully 50% of the time they will make some a**hole comment like "You can't have that, you'll shoot your eye out kid" or "I could buy that if I wanted, I just don't want to."

Not very good for public relations but the clerks tell me it happens every day.

WebMonkey
02-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Any select fire pistol caliber firearm.
Can't afford but sorely wish for.
:)

Bzcraig
02-16-2017, 01:01 AM
Yes, a Colt Cobra 38 series 3 that made me shoot like the Sundance Kid! Sold the gun to my dad for a song (young and needed the money) on the condition he let me know before he got the urge to sell it. Unfortunately, I never got it back.

shoot-n-lead
02-16-2017, 01:20 AM
I have had that same experience a couple of times, oddly enough, it has been a 1911, every time. I am not really into rifles, except some Winchester and Rossi levers, and I just have just never shot a shotgun enough to have developed a "feel" for any of them...although, there are a couple of Beretta's that it would not take much for me like.

54bore
02-16-2017, 03:21 AM
I have always wanted a Freedom Arms model 83 Premier Grade in .454 Casull, but at nearly 3 thousand now days and the little i would actually shoot the Revolver its just out of reach, but man those things are nice!! I have shot a few over the years, one in .475 Linebaugh and the other a .454 Casull, In my opinion there is nothing like them. If i lived in Alaska around the BIG bears i would own one.

Multigunner
02-16-2017, 05:38 AM
For me it would be a pistol that the father of a friend actually took off the corpse of a German air crewman he had killed when he shot down the plane while it was making a low level bombing run on an American airfield.
The friend's father was manning a .50 Browning at the time.
The body was found in the broken away tail section, the only one of the crew not incinerated in the fiery crash.

The provenance was pretty much indisputable. Besides the pistol he had kept the German's wallet with all his ID and photos of his beautiful young girl friend. There were other documents as well.

The pistol was a FN1922 in .32 ACP , The young airman had apparently had grip panels made with inlaid silver Luftwaffe eagles.

Its been over 50 years since I was allowed to examine that pistol and the wallet with documents.

Half Dog
02-16-2017, 07:30 AM
My budget keeps my imagination focused on one caliber that I don't have but would like to own. My wife and budget keeps the excitement going.

UKShootist
02-16-2017, 11:32 AM
The gun I can't own is a Colt 1911 .45 as issued. I live in the UK and pistols are, basically, banned. I don't much care for pistols, and can't shoot one worth a damn, but there's something about a Colt 1911 (as recommended by Jeff Cooper, another of my heroes) that really calls me. The only way I could every get an approximation legally is if I could find all the component parts that have never been assembled, including a 12" barrel (!) and a rod to permanently fix to the rear. Legislation requires that such a firearm must have a 12" barrel and be 24" overall length. (30cm and 60cm). If I got one I would be permanently gazing at hacksaws though.

paul h
02-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Years ago a local gunshop had Freedom Arms make them what they called the Alaska Master Guide series, it was a 5 1/2" barreled FA 83 454 that had been magnaported, I think they had 25 made. My buddy had one of them and had the grip roundbutted. My buddy was also generous about letting me shoot his guns.

The gun was both a perfect fit in my hand, and I could shoot it to it's accuracy potential, one of the few guns I've shot and instantly thought man I'd love one of these. As is often the case, when the gun was available for sale I was well short of funds.

Kestrel4k
02-16-2017, 04:09 PM
A Remington 700 in '.375 Whelen Improved'. Would just love to have it, but will never have the incentive to make it happen financially.
.35's make much more sense and I'm well-stocked with those already, so ...

Oh, and a .357B&D on a Ruger 77/44 action.
Already have the 77/357 & 77/44, so it's difficult to justify the extra $$$.

NoAngel
02-16-2017, 04:25 PM
1907 Roth Steyr. I could probably swing the enormous amount a nice one would cost but I can't justify the cost for a gun that probably ain't reliable, difficult to reload for and probably ain't all that accurate to boot. Where one would expect to get replacement parts should something break is beyond me.

longshot1154
02-16-2017, 04:27 PM
When I was a teenager my step father had a Dan Wesson 357 with the 10 inch barrel. He ended up selling it and for the past 25 years I have been wanting a Dan Wesson. Ended up getting a 6 inch 44 mag last year. A couple months ago I was in a LGS and they had a 357 with an 8 inch and a 2 inch barrel for 575.00. For some reason I walked out without it and a couple days later it was sold. Another one was a Dan Wesson 445 supermag my manager owned at the shooting range I worked at.

Texas by God
02-16-2017, 04:34 PM
The gun I can't own is a Colt 1911 .45 as issued. I live in the UK and pistols are, basically, banned. I don't much care for pistols, and can't shoot one worth a damn, but there's something about a Colt 1911 (as recommended by Jeff Cooper, another of my heroes) that really calls me. The only way I could every get an approximation legally is if I could find all the component parts that have never been assembled, including a 12" barrel (!) and a rod to permanently fix to the rear. Legislation requires that such a firearm must have a 12" barrel and be 24" overall length. (30cm and 60cm). If I got one I would be permanently gazing at hacksaws though.
Come to Texas. We'll give you one for the duration of your visit! Best, Thomas.

John Allen
02-16-2017, 04:36 PM
The one gun I wish I had back at least was my Browning Safari in 338 Win mag. It had the most beautiful stock I have ever seen. I sold it when my kids were young and eating was more important.

Harter66
02-16-2017, 07:05 PM
A friend has a BPS I shot a few times . So I bought my own . It wasn't until the stock got a little bit of wiggle in it that we really clicked and when we did sheer delight . I kept that 1 , it's well worn now .

I have a stable but apparently quirky mount that is so boringly average that nearly any 12.5"-13.5" length of pull with no cast fits close enough that a dozen or so mounts have me meeting up .

There was a 445 but after 5 rounds of full tilt the grip fit didn't matter .
I find that they either fit right or feel right it is very rare even with my boringly average self that I find perfection maybe 1 or 2 guns ever...

Shuz
02-16-2017, 08:31 PM
This doesn't happen often to me but here goes: A few years ago a friend asked if I would sell him my Ruger 77 featherwight in .30-06. He told me that a rifle just like mine was one he shot his first elk with. Well, In a weak moment and with 2 other .30-06's in my safe, I sold him my Ruger 77. Fast forward about 5 years and he says he never shoots the gun and would like to know if I wanted it back. I said I sure did! I ended up trading him another .30-06, a Remington 700 Mtn rifle for my old Ruger 77. I'll never let that one go again. It shoots cast very, very well unlike the 700 Remington I traded. He said he didn't care because he didn't shoot cast anyway and just wanted a .30-06 in his safe.

6pt-sika
02-16-2017, 09:36 PM
There are two guns I want to add to my accumulation . One is a Parker GH or VH 28 gauge on a 00 frame with 26" or 28" barrels . Ive had several in my hands that would fit the bill and generally two things come between me and them . Either they aren't for sale or if they are I can't afford them .

The second gun I'd like is a Parker EH 10 gauge on a #2 frame with factory original 24" , 26" or 28" barrels . Now the biggest issue with acquiring one of these is the fact that only about 100 guns were made in the three lengths combined and as of yet I've not had my hands on any that fit the parameters !

Ithaca Gunner
02-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Hmmm, revolvers I'd like to own, but unlikely. A Colt SAA .38WCF or .44spl. 7.5" barrel made in 1906, (the year dad was born).

Self loading pistol...there's a few I'd like to shoot, just because I haven't shot one, like a Luger, Mauser C-96, but don't have to own them, just like to shoot them once.

Maybe a Fox or older high quality light double in 20ga.

Too many rifles to list, but the one I'd really like to find again that I let go would be the FN-49 sniper, .30-06 I had in the 80's.

Mytmousemalibu
02-17-2017, 04:50 PM
I really want a CLEAN example of a Manurhin MR73. Preferably the 6" target model and bonus points if it comes with the rare 9mm conversation cylinder. My wallet would be smoldering if I come across one. Perhaps after I get back from my work trip Abu Dhabi. Its a revolver on par with a Korth but id rather have the Manurhin.

scarry scarney
02-17-2017, 06:05 PM
For me, it's two different guns. The first was a Browning over/under in 20 ga. It was step-dads. It seemed that I couldn't miss with that shotgun. He and my mom divorced a few years later, and I never saw it again. I know, I can go find one and buy it, but not the same.

The other is an HK MP5. I live in CA, it's not going to happen!! Plus, who can afford a transferrable MP5 these days! $$$$ OUCH $$$$ Boy, to jump in a time ship and go back to 1985....

rintinglen
02-17-2017, 08:11 PM
I would like an M1A, just like the M-14 I carried in boot camp 45 years ago. I look every time I go in to the fun store, but they are always just about $200 more than I can afford to spend.

psweigle
02-18-2017, 03:08 PM
Mine is a Mateba Unica 6 in 357 magnum. I have a coonin classic to go with my security six and blackhawk. And I have a Ruger 77 in 357, so that Mateba would sure be cool.

dverna
02-18-2017, 05:07 PM
I have seen the opposite as well. But only with shotguns.

People will borrow a shotgun, or shoot a loaner from one of the bigger retailers at a major shoot. They shoot a phenomenal score and buy the gun or one just like it. Once they own it, they never duplicate their first time performance.

I think with a new gun, and the desire to shoot it well, they tend to focus and shoot well. Once they own it, the ether has worn off, and they return to normal.

Sometimes, that "perfect" gun does not work out.

Don Verna

texasnative46
02-18-2017, 05:17 PM
To All,

Just 2 days ago, I was "afflicted with gun LUST" when I was shown a SxS Westley Richards "Best Quality" .577 Nitro Express double-rifle for close to 100,000.ooUSD.
(The only nice thing about seeing it is that I don't have to ever expect to afford such a fine rifle, so I can safely daydream of it.)

yours, tex

kmrra
02-18-2017, 05:25 PM
IWANT A BARRETT 50 BMG , DONT NEED IT , BUT i WANT ONE , BUT AT THE PRICE IT IS, IT WOULD BE FOOLISH INVESTMENT FOR ME TO MAKE , so i will keep one wanting one ,.... hoping that someday someone needing beer and party money , I can pick one up for a couple hundred bux .....dream on

trapper9260
02-18-2017, 05:31 PM
For me it was many years ago ,I was at a small sporting goods store I use to get some of my reload supplies at and had my dad with me at the time and they had a WW2 German Ruger in the show case. For what they wanted for it I did not had the money to get and told my dad get me out of here. He had his eye on it also after.Also anther one is the M1 ,main reason is I have one of my mom's brothers manual on it of WW2 .Also one of my close friends got himself one and he left me shoot it. I shot great. Next time he come here I will help him load some ammo for it since he never reload before .and he dose not have the gear to do it.We where room mates when we where in navy school many years ago.He had his eye on the manual also I got.
Made a spelling mistake on What i ment Not Ruger but Luger I ment

mcdaniel.mac
02-18-2017, 07:27 PM
My old man had the Gottahavits disease, same as his father did. Any new thing that came along meant selling off an old thing, often at a loss.

On the list:
Sig 229R with target grips and compensator
Dan Wesson Model 15 Pistol Pack in stainless
Transferrable Steyr AUG (don't know which variant)

Silvercreek Farmer
02-18-2017, 07:34 PM
Any select fire pistol caliber firearm.
Can't afford but sorely wish for.
:)

Yep, a MP5 SBR would do nicely. I could even do without the fun switch and suppressor, but wouldn't complain if they were included!

I passed on on a Ruger Security 6 4 inch stainless for $375 or so just a few years ago. Never going to get that chance again.

Dad's unicorn is a M1A to replace the M14 he had to turn back in to Uncle Sam.

mcdaniel.mac
02-19-2017, 01:49 AM
Yep, a MP5 SBR would do nicely. I could even do without the fun switch and suppressor, but wouldn't complain if they were included!

I passed on on a Ruger Security 6 4 inch stainless for $375 or so just a few years ago. Never going to get that chance again.

Dad's unicorn is a M1A to replace the M14 he had to turn back in to Uncle Sam.
It's not quite the same, but the binary triggers for AR'S are pretty quick, and there's an HK trigger group that will accept AR triggers...

rondog
02-19-2017, 02:12 AM
Too many to list.....

flint45
02-20-2017, 01:36 AM
One gun I got to shoot was a Sako in .222 Rem. with a balvar scope it belongs to my son in laws big brother it was there Grandpas chuck rifle he let me shoot a box of 20 rounds through it wow what a nice rifle, right there I offered to buy it but no way he will sell it. Made one ragged hole at 100 yards with that rifle,a joy to shoot!

69daytona
02-21-2017, 08:46 PM
I have most all the guns that I would like but one and that is a 45 mag Wildey with 10" barrel and a 475 Wildey upper and extra mags to go with it.
cant have them in Calif. unless you find one someone wants to sell that's already here.

mtnman31
02-22-2017, 10:42 AM
I need/want the following but can't justify their purchase - Hammerli 208s, a nice drilling, and of course a mini-gun for the zombie apocalypse.
I have pretty much most of the firearms I desire. I can always find more that I want, but I've also come to realize that my collection is at that tipping point where it goes from being a collection that gets used to a collection that is just a "collection" with guns that never get shot because I don't have enough time. Generally speaking, I'm not a collector type guy, I try to be practical and use what I have. If I can't use it, I probably don't need it.

44man
02-22-2017, 08:41 PM
I don't collect but have shot and built 1911's that did under 1" at 50 yards. A gun I have wanted forever.

44man
02-22-2017, 08:45 PM
One gun I got to shoot was a Sako in .222 Rem. with a balvar scope it belongs to my son in laws big brother it was there Grandpas chuck rifle he let me shoot a box of 20 rounds through it wow what a nice rifle, right there I offered to buy it but no way he will sell it. Made one ragged hole at 100 yards with that rifle,a joy to shoot!
Balvar scope. Holy shades of heaven. I lost my breath when I sold my pre 64 220 Swift with one. I will never get over it. Should I curse you or praise you for memories?

Texas by God
02-23-2017, 02:27 PM
Lone Star lightweight .30-40 Krag rolling block.
Benelli B76 9mm pistol
Better stop there. Best, Thomas.

tdoyka
02-23-2017, 03:28 PM
since i can no longer buy it, mine is a ruger bisley stocked with a big horn sheep horn, 5 1/2" barrel and it comes with a 500 linebaugh.

darn stroke, i don't have nothin nice!!!![smilie=l:[smilie=l:

GaryN
02-24-2017, 12:11 AM
I was working in Utah and found a Ruger #3 in .22 Hornet for $600. I get a sick feeling every time I think about it. It was what I was looking for so why I walked out with out it I will never know ! FB

Hmmmm, I live in Utah and sold off a Ruger #3 in 22 hornet. I never could get it to shoot well. ( Does that make you feel better?)

Drm50
02-24-2017, 01:19 AM
I the little village I grew up in the VFD had a festival every summer to raise money. They always
raffled of a Rifle & a shot gun. 1959 the rifle was a Win 70, 220swift. A neighbor who didn't hunt
or shoot won the Swift. My dad offered to buy the rifle several times, then I took over the task.
The only reason guy wouldn't sell, he claimed its the only thing he ever won. He promised me
that he would sell it to me if ever sold. Guy still going strong a 87yrs old, and Swift still in box
with hang tags still on it. Every now and then he calls me to fix something around the house. He
always lets me check on the Swifts welfare. I'm 66, if I don't get it soon I'll be to feeble to shoot
it,

saleen322
02-24-2017, 02:40 AM
In the 80s Savage made a 110S silhouette rifle. You could get it in 308 and 7-08. A work buddy was a cast bullet shooter and let me borrow his 308 to try some of my cast bullets with and it was shooting like they were jacketed. Always wanted one (or both) so some years later a guy had one over his shoulder at an Allentown gun show for sale. I was just a little short of cash to get it. I never seen another one after that. I am still looking........

RKJ
02-24-2017, 09:37 AM
The one I've always wanted (but never could justify) is a Ruger 77 international (I always wanted one in 06 but think I'd prefer the .308 now) I've always liked that rifle and still want one. Maybe now that I'm older, I'll go find one. :)

birch
02-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Winchester Hi-Wall in 45-70. Someday.

ulav8r
02-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Uncle Virgil's 92 Winchester 32-20. It had a 1/2 octagon barrel about 20 inches long, rifle butt plate, schnable forearm with ebony insert in the tip, and a 3 shot blind magazine. It was the first centerfire rifle I shot. I got to carry it for about 2 1/2 years, deer hunted with it 2 years but did not get a shot at a deer in that time.

The summer before my HS senior year, my cousin decided he wanted his dad's gun, so Uncle Virgil took it back. The next spring, just about graduation time, I got a call from the bus station. They had a package for me. While mom was shopping, I walked down to the bus station to pick up the package. It was from Uncle Virgil and contained a Mossberg 800 in .308. The stock had lots of figure and it shot good, but I would prefer Uncle Virgil's(or an exact replica) 32-20 over a dozen normal hunting rifles.

Oh, in handguns it would be a long barreled Luger with the carbine forearm and detachable stock. Have never seen one in person but they will forever be out of my price range. If they would remove the stupid restrictions on re-moveable stocks on pistols, I could get by with a Ruger auto pistol set up like that. Have considered putting a long barrel and forearm on one and making a bitstock for it. The buttstock would have a bracket that would not attach to the pistol, but would cradle it so a firm grip would support the pistol for firing.

Budzilla 19
02-24-2017, 11:05 PM
About 25+ years ago, I sold my Ruger .44 magnum revolver I had. ( financial problems) I have been looking for a particular style of Ruger .44 magnum ever since then.
Kids, tragedies in the family! Life got in the way.Now thanks to a member on here, I now own the Ruger I have been looking for!! It used to be the gun I couldn't have was a Colt Python with 8" barrel, but I got that! Now I'm set, I guess! Want to bet how long that lasts? Hahahaha!!

oger
02-24-2017, 11:22 PM
A friend of mines Bob Chow done 29 Smith. It is the finest revolver I have ever shot.

Shiloh
02-25-2017, 02:45 PM
I'd like a 30-30 single shot I can develop a good accurate load for. Still looking. A friend has a Handi-Rifle in 30-30 and has squeezed exceptional accuracy out of it with cast in the mid range velocities.

Shiloh

country gent
02-25-2017, 04:39 PM
One of the Gentleman at my local club noticed me eyeing his rifle on a Sunday afternoon years ago, I was a fairly new member back then had a family and just starting out. He came down to my firing point and asked if Id like to look at the rifle. It was a true work of art fit and finish was excellent, balance was great. As I was admiring the rifle he handed me 2 rounds and asked if I would like to try it. One round for each barrel. The barrels read Holland and Holland the rounds were 500 nitro express. It was a real experience.

Petrol & Powder
02-25-2017, 05:21 PM
The interesting point to me is that it has often been a fairly common firearm that I covet. And it isn't that I covet that type of firearm but rather that I covet that particular firearm !

I shot a friend's S&W revolver the other day and it just clicked. It wasn't anything special other than being about 55 years old and it shot perfectly for me. I didn't want other gun like that one; I wanted THAT one ! :p

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
02-26-2017, 12:25 AM
I want a smith 610 but the going rate seems to be around $1800 these days.

woodbutcher
02-26-2017, 01:12 AM
:D Puhlese.Don`t even get me started.However,three that I really COVET badly are these.
1928 Thompson.
M3 greaser
BAR.
Have had the pleasure to shoot all three on the SAME day.I was light headed for a week after.Those are the top three.Only problem is ,I don`t have about a ton of gold bars to finance them[smilie=b:;).
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Andyd
02-26-2017, 02:03 AM
Thirty-some years ago affluent friends let me shoot their guns and a Korth and a SIG P210-6 most impressed me. It took very long to get my first Korth but now I have a small collection of Korths and two Swiss SIG P210s. I cast for my guns and had the Korth at the range with me yesterday and shot it at 25 yards in double action with a full-power .357 Magnum load. I had been a little careless and left some primers on my work bench and paid for it with some cartridges that now will need the bullets pulled.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/imagejpg2_zpsf8cb0a3e.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/image_zpsgbb4mkjz.jpeg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/be19341d-a18a-46ad-8efa-cb0271f23db6_zpsmhvicsci.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/70b562c4-2d5a-46a8-b40e-9ed7b23aa91d_zpsa7vwswld.jpg

Yes, you can own your dream guns.

Texas by God
03-01-2017, 01:17 PM
The Limited Edition E. Remington 1816 flintlock from a few years back. Useful Fireplace mantle art.

grullaguy
03-01-2017, 07:04 PM
I am on the other side of the story. As one of the younger grandfathered, prohibited pistol owners in Canada. I am now buying quality pistols from aging prohib owners for a fraction of what they are worth. The downside is that when I die, these fine firearms are all destined to meet the shears or cutting torch.

I shoot weekly and let other shooters fire them.
When they ask where they can get one, the answer is "nowhere".

You can't have this gun.

rintinglen
03-03-2017, 02:22 PM
A friend of mine has a Browning 1910 WWII bring-back complete with holster and spare magazine. His father took it from a German Truck Driver during the fighting at the Falaise Gap. I would dearly love to have it, but understandably, it is not for sale.

RG1911
03-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Beretta Model 70S in .380. Accurate and comfortable. Sold it to get my Walther PP. Really wish I had kept the Beretta.

Actually held a SIG 210 many moons ago in Switzerland. If it weren't for the price, I'd buy one. Bloody beautiful.

SIG Stgw 57. Got to practice with one in Switzerland when my girlfriend's brother hinted I was a new kid in town.

Most any firearm with a Safe-Semi-Full switch. Have one but can't afford any more.

Luger Carbine. Went to a show in Portland, Oregon, and found 4 of them. I actually had the cash in my pocket. None were for sale.

And the list goes on. Sigh ...

Cheers,
Richard

Harter66
03-06-2017, 10:54 PM
I have a magazine for one I'd like to own . I'd like to have the base mount for it also ....... Alas I don't foresee me getting a great deal on a Gruman F8F much less the 6 1919 50 BMGs but I do have a magazine for 26' of linked 50 cal and that's something .

Texas by God
03-06-2017, 11:21 PM
Georg Luger's personal scaled down Luger. I don't remember if it is a 7.65 or 9mm Kurtz but there's only one and I saw a picture of it in Guns&Ammo. A long time ago.

Multigunner
03-06-2017, 11:36 PM
"Georg Luger's personal scaled down Luger."

This it?
http://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/65/1636

tward
03-06-2017, 11:54 PM
I was in the Fuerth gun club looking for a rifle, they had 2 of the prettiest Mannlichers I have ever seen. Calibers were 223 and 222, action scaled to calibers, beautiful blueing, high gloss figured walnut stocks and double set triggers. They had 3-9x Weavers mounted and were asking $199 apiece. Way out of my price range on E-4 salary. Tim PS this was in 1968.

modified5
03-07-2017, 12:31 AM
Yep, this one. 189887
It is living in my safe right now.
It is a .45lc dated 1891.
I may have to sell a couple of guns to get the funds to buy it.
Because I REALLY want it.

Texas by God
03-07-2017, 12:04 PM
"Georg Luger's personal scaled down Luger."

This it?
http://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/65/1636
Thank you for the link! I obviously misremembered the caliber, though. Best, Thomas.

Mytmousemalibu
03-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Thirty-some years ago affluent friends let me shoot their guns and a Korth and a SIG P210-6 most impressed me. It took very long to get my first Korth but now I have a small collection of Korths and two Swiss SIG P210s. I cast for my guns and had the Korth at the range with me yesterday and shot it at 25 yards in double action with a full-power .357 Magnum load. I had been a little careless and left some primers on my work bench and paid for it with some cartridges that now will need the bullets pulled.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/imagejpg2_zpsf8cb0a3e.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/image_zpsgbb4mkjz.jpeg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/be19341d-a18a-46ad-8efa-cb0271f23db6_zpsmhvicsci.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/70b562c4-2d5a-46a8-b40e-9ed7b23aa91d_zpsa7vwswld.jpg

Yes, you can own your dream guns.

That Sir is a gorgeous collection you have! I'm really after a pristine Manurhin MR73 but a clean Korth Combat would be equally fantastic. Also a Neuhausen P210.... Beautiful guns. All of the above, exquisitely crafted and finished.

missionary5155
03-07-2017, 01:34 PM

Had a S&W model 15 that was 95% + . Beautiful police turn in that fell my way for $175. Well a good friend begged me out of it under the instruction I was the only one he would ever sell it back to. Within one year he left it laying out some where and it was removed by some one else. Never sell a firearm you cannot replace.
Mike in Peru

warboar_21
03-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Every time I go to the SHOT SHOW I stop by Perazzi's booth and drool and dream of owning one of their matched sets of over under shotguns. They are usually in the ball park of $350,000 to $400,000. Some of the most beautiful pieces of art I have ever held in my hands. Add to that list Blaser, Mauser, and JP Sauer, a H&H Double rifle, Barret M82a1, and on and on.

Texas by God
03-08-2017, 12:40 AM
A Stevens model 235 hammer double in 16 ga. We grew up with Uncle Owen's in 12 gauge. It's on my brother's mantle. A quality box lock from long before Savage entered the picture. Not a Fox or Parker but didn't need to be.

rmark
03-14-2017, 05:54 PM
A Colt single action in 32-20 owned by a friend, a family gun he'd never sell (and I'd never ask). However I did buy a used Uberti 32-20 single action last year, probably as close as I'll come to an original.

jimb16
03-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Many years ago (I won't say how many but many of you guys aren't that old!) I made the mistake of selling my Remington Nylon 12 .22 bolt action. For all those years, I regretted letting it go. Last week I found one for sale and I actually had the money! Regret resolved! At long last!

Texantothecore
03-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Jim chambers flintlock.

Sean357
04-06-2017, 08:05 PM
Haven't had a chance to shoot one, probably never will. But the gun I can't have is a Linebaugh Ruger 45 Colt with a oversized 5 shot cylinder and custom barrel and bisley grip. Blued of course.
I'd seen the older one in S&S and yep, still can't own one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

part-timer
04-08-2017, 01:24 AM
Working a few nights with my buds in tropic lightning, there was a 60 with 3 barrels I wish were in my basement right now.
Wonder what ever happened with it? Never can have enough barrels. Damn that was a nice machine. She could eat like a pig.

greenwart
04-08-2017, 07:26 AM
Yes a Webley Revolver in 45 ACP. Coolness factor was off the charts.

rugerdude
04-08-2017, 09:37 AM
Dan Wesson 445 SuperMag Pistol Pak. Saw one at a gun show many years ago, but didn't have the $1100 asking price. 4", 6", 8" and 10" barrels, wood and rubber grips, numerous sight blades, barrel wrench, feeler gauges and belt buckle, all packed in a fitted aluminum case. Now I'd be happy just to find one with a single barrel for that price!

2ndAmendmentNut
04-08-2017, 09:45 AM
Suppressors, SBRs, and full autos. I think they are all super cool, but could never justify the expense and paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnson1942
04-08-2017, 05:29 PM
ruger old army traditional with out the target sights. too rare to find and too costly. if i had one i would convert it to 45 long colt and what a gun to carry and fun to shoot with.

Texas by God
04-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Suppressors, SBRs, and full autos. I think they are all super cool, but could never justify the expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myself as well.

FergusonTO35
04-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Last week I picked up a gun I have wanted ever since I was a little kid. It's not a gun I can't have because of legislation, cost, or scarcity but rather just a little too rich to swing on a 60 day layaway and other guns kept cutting in line. So, I just started a little envelope in my desk at work and threw a few bucks in it every so often. A year and a half later it's mine. NIB, factory test fired in October 2016.