PDA

View Full Version : Primer Tube Loading Frustrations . . . well . . . Fix'em !

OS OK
02-15-2017, 08:14 AM
I'm constantly hearing how people dislike the loading of these priming tubes. I wonder if it is for the same reason I used to dislike loading them?

I have Hornady, RCBS and Lyman and they all use the same principal of pressing them over the primers to load 50 or 100...I found it tedious because it took so much force to slip the plastic tip over the tiny little primers and had to be careful that I was centered properly.
I found that the least used tube I had, (an old Lyman for priming on a press) was the easiest to slip over the primers and it seemed to gobble them up quickly...DUHHH?...Yes, I actually had to look it over and think about what should have been obvious...these dang plastics need to be reamed out until it takes very little force to slip over the primers.
That takes the two handed alignment, pressing so hard, cussing at them, holding your mouth right and all that tediousness out of the equation and makes this job of loading the tubes much quicker and more tolerable...after all, tube loading is just a part of the job you want to get done, you want those primers in the end of some empty cases...right?

This long reamer did the job fine...just ream a little and test the pressure it takes to load a primer until you have it opened up enough to load them without all the force. Don't get too energetic with the reamer or you might open the plastic tip up so much it will not hold the weight of the stack of primers as they stack up in the tube.
I used a drill index to do the same at first but found the reamer much easier to remedy the problem. It enlarges the very tip of the plastic also and the plastic tip seems to self center over the primers much better.

A quality metal flip tray helps too, you still need one of those to get all those primers facing in the right direction.

There are also 'primer tube loading gizmos' out there to load the tubes quicker but as with any tool...especially cheap ones, you will encounter other problems with those tools in just trying to remedy the original primer tube loading problem...compounding frustrations does not help get those primers in the brass any quicker and it takes the pleasure out of one of the aspects handloading.
That's why I tried to remedy the first problem without encountering more...loading those tubes can turn into an unplesant stumbling block that doesn't need to be there.

jmorris
02-15-2017, 09:21 AM
I use the Dillon filler most often but do use the FA filler too. You can't just pull the trigger and stand there or you won't like it. I use a little flick of the wrist, like fishing with a popper, full primer tube in under a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WTZ-_v6Mks

TexasGrunt
02-15-2017, 09:55 AM
I use the Hornady 1911 primer tube filler. Picked it up in the Bargain Cave at Cabela's last year. Chamfered the top of the tubes and it works great!

georgerkahn
02-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Another neato tool I had never heard of, and may very well add to my collection! Thank you! One question, though, is what percentage of failures have you experienced (e.g., stuck, or flipped primers)? Watching your video, it seems almost too good to be true they drop in so quickly. Again, in your experience, any stuck, sideways, or inverted primers?
Thanks.
geo

jmorris
02-15-2017, 10:31 AM
You can see them bridge and stop flowing in the video I posted. That's when I am giving my wrist a little flick backwards. You won't have it down the instant to pick one up but it doesn't take too long to figure out the right amount of tilt to the side and forward. Never any upside down primers, unless you put the top of the tray on with an inverted primer.

If you are not in a rush to buy one Midway has them on sale for $25 a couple times a year.

Mytmousemalibu
02-15-2017, 10:47 AM
A good friend of mine was over at my house and filled a Dillon primer tube and was astounded as how easy it was, two finger operation. Apparently his tubes for his LNL are very difficult. He bought some Dillon tubes....

OS OK
02-15-2017, 10:57 AM
A good friend of mine was over at my house and filled a Dillon primer tube and was astounded as how easy it was, two finger operation. Apparently his tubes for his LNL are very difficult. He bought some Dillon tubes....

The LnL's were the ones that were really stubborn but running a close second was the RCBS's!

They're all friendly now though...

So, you see . . . that it ain't just Lee . . . that requires a little 'tinkering'.

LittleLebowski
02-15-2017, 11:43 AM
I need help getting my Frankford filler working with Winchester primers. Chamfer?

Nueces
02-15-2017, 11:53 AM
The Dillons are the only primer tubes I've used and I agree that they are smooth and easy to load, 2 to 3 Winchester primers per second. Mine are some years old. Occasionally, I run a puffed up Q-tip through them, one with alcohol, one dry. I could load the Q-tip and blow it at the cat, if I had a cat.

Drew P
02-15-2017, 12:13 PM
I found the LnL primer tubes much easier than the Dillon because the tip is sharpened and they just seem easier. Sold my dillons.

Mytmousemalibu
02-15-2017, 12:23 PM
The Dillons are the only primer tubes I've used and I agree that they are smooth and easy to load, 2 to 3 Winchester primers per second. Mine are some years old. Occasionally, I run a puffed up Q-tip through them, one with alcohol, one dry. I could load the Q-tip and blow them at the cat, if I had a cat.

That's a very good thing to do, cleaning the priming system components. Primer dust isn't a good thing! I do the same, alcohol swab my filler tubes, the feeder tubes, primeing components, primer trays, hand primer, etc. You can definitely see the explosive dust all over the used swabs/patches. I would would be more than happy to never experience a sympathetic detonation of my priming components and clean stuff works better than dirty stuff. I clean the entire machine & relube/service every 3,500rds. Take care of it and it should take care of you.

runfiverun
02-15-2017, 12:53 PM
the only primers I have to fill tubes by hand with are the Wolf SR primers.
they like to go down the primer tube filler sideways for some reason.
so I use the Dillon flip tray, and dump 300 on it at a time, then poke the tubes full with both hands.
no I don't care if I have 110 in one tube and 90 in the other.
I just fill them all to the brim.
when they get dropped in the 550's tube they are all straight and feed through it just fine.

I worked out the changing and adjusting stuff on the Dillon primer tube fillers by just having one for large and one for small.
then waiting until I have all 10 lr-sr-lp-sp tubes empty then just fill them all at once.
I generally get 2 tubes filled in the time it takes for the machine to run through a cycle. [2 minutes?]
so it's about 10-15 minutes to fill all 10 tubes.

Kenstone
02-15-2017, 03:15 PM
I'm constantly hearing how people dislike the loading of these priming tubes. I wonder if it is for the same reason I used to dislike loading them?

I have Hornady, RCBS and Lyman and they all use the same principal of pressing them over the primers to load 50 or 100...I found it tedious because it took so much force to slip the plastic tip over the tiny little primers and had to be careful that I was centered properly.
I found that the least used tube I had, (an old Lyman for priming on a press) was the easiest to slip over the primers and it seemed to gobble them up quickly...DUHHH?...Yes, I actually had to look it over and think about what should have been obvious...these dang plastics need to be reamed out until it takes very little force to slip over the primers.
That takes the two handed alignment, pressing so hard, cussing at them, holding your mouth right and all that tediousness out of the equation and makes this job of loading the tubes much quicker and more tolerable...after all, tube loading is just a part of the job you want to get done, you want those primers in the end of some empty cases...right?

This long reamer did the job fine...just ream a little and test the pressure it takes to load a primer until you have it opened up enough to load them without all the force. Don't get too energetic with the reamer or you might open the plastic tip up so much it will not hold the weight of the stack of primers as they stack up in the tube.
I used a drill index to do the same at first but found the reamer much easier to remedy the problem. It enlarges the very tip of the plastic also and the plastic tip seems to self center over the primers much better.

A quality metal flip tray helps too, you still need one of those to get all those primers facing in the right direction.

There are also 'primer tube loading gizmos' out there to load the tubes quicker but as with any tool...especially cheap ones, you will encounter other problems with those tools in just trying to remedy the original primer tube loading problem...compounding frustrations does not help get those primers in the brass any quicker and it takes the pleasure out of one of the aspects handloading.
That's why I tried to remedy the first problem without encountering more...loading those tubes can turn into an unplesant stumbling block that doesn't need to be there.

You need to go "old school", pull off the plastic bit throw it away and slit the aluminum tube 2 times, 90 degrees apart, creating 4 segments that can
be pinched adjusted for picking up primers.
:mrgreen:

Elkins45
02-15-2017, 03:54 PM
You can see them bridge and stop flowing in the video I posted. That's when I am giving my wrist a little flick backwards. You won't have it down the instant to pick one up but it doesn't take too long to figure out the right amount of tilt to the side and forward. Never any upside down primers, unless you put the top of the tray on with an inverted primer.

If you are not in a rush to buy one Midway has them on sale for $25 a couple times a year.

I haven't had a lot of luck with my Midway model. I get lots of jams and have to bang it around hard enough to unstick it that I get flipped primers.

OS OK
02-15-2017, 04:13 PM
I haven't had a lot of luck with my Midway model. I get lots of jams and have to bang it around hard enough to unstick it that I get flipped primers.

As long as you are not trying to feed some automatic self running brass stuffer press and just doing 2 - 500 rounds...loading these tubes as they were designed ain't no big deal.

dverna
02-15-2017, 08:11 PM
OS OK

I use 20 tubes when loading SP primers for the Dillon 1050. I think maybe I qualify as brass stuffer. LOL

Don Verna

georgerkahn
02-15-2017, 08:42 PM
Thanks for reply, jmorris! A quick gander seems MidwayUSA doesn't carry this product any longer, and a Google search further indicated no popular (e.g., Amazon, Optic Planet, etc.) vendor. An eBay search came up with two -- at $50 or $66 each! Well, after next retirement cheque comes at end of month, and one is still listed... I'll surely give it some thought. This tool appears to be useful enough to garner a spot on my "want" list (as opposed to "need") -- and, sadly a tad too costly for -- at least ;) -- in this month's toy budget.
geo

Kenstone
02-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Thanks for reply, jmorris! A quick gander seems MidwayUSA doesn't carry this product any longer, and a Google search further indicated no popular (e.g., Amazon, Optic Planet, etc.) vendor. An eBay search came up with two -- at $50 or $66 each! Well, after next retirement cheque comes at end of month, and one is still listed... I'll surely give it some thought. This tool appears to be useful enough to garner a spot on my "want" list (as opposed to "need") -- and, sadly a tad too costly for -- at least ;) -- in this month's toy budget.
geo
I have one ordered at Amazon when the price went to $23.99 and the delivery has been pushed out to March.
I see now it's listed as unavailable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ6A3Y0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[smilie=b:
...hope I still get one mid-March [smilie=6:
Try these guys:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/frankford-arsenal-vibra-prime
Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRANKFORD-ARSENAL-VIBRA-PRIME-/112302639364?hash=item1a25c24904:g:Ft4AAOSw2gxYnMO Z
Cabelas:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Frankford-Arsenal-reg-Vibra-Prime-Automatic-Primer-Tube-Filler/1600065.uts
In the mean time, I've been using modified Lee hand primer trays and a sonic tooth brush to vibrate them.
:smile:

OS OK
02-15-2017, 09:41 PM
OS OK

I use 20 tubes when loading SP primers for the Dillon 1050. I think maybe I qualify as brass stuffer. LOL

Don Verna

A High Speed Brass Stuffer . . . 'HSBS', your an acronym now!

jmorris
02-15-2017, 09:55 PM
So, you see . . . that it ain't just Lee . . . that requires a little 'tinkering'.

Kind of funny that they don't require a primer tube filler though...

Don't worry the vibraprime will be back and once they get a few shipping containers full of them from China taking up space in a warehouse they will be on sale again.

TexasGrunt
02-16-2017, 11:02 AM
geo
Take a look at the Hornady 1911 primer tube filler.

LittleLebowski
02-17-2017, 01:42 PM
Does the Hornady primer tube filler work with Winchester primers?

No Blue
02-17-2017, 05:49 PM
Lee trays; those are the quickest to load, smallest chance for a chain reaction explosion.

When I was reading the Lee first edition reloading book, he mentioned priming was the most dangerous activity by far. He said if you went to an ammo plant, look at the ceiling above the priming station; it was always looking like somebody shot a 12 gauge at it.

He said Lee will never sell a tubed primer tool, it's an accident waiting happen. Most of the tubed progressive presses have some kind of blast tube around the primer tubes, but there are single stage presses from RCBS, Lyman, and not sure who else that have all 100 primers just sitting there in front of you, without any blast tube. Not good...but YMMV.

dverna
02-17-2017, 06:05 PM
No Blue,

Back in time, there was an accessory for the Star made by Brewster. It held 1000 primers in front of your face. I never heard of one going Kaboom but if it did.......

I nearly ordered one, but common sense prevailed.

Don Verna

TexasGrunt
02-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Does the Hornady primer tube filler work with Winchester primers?

Mine has.

No Blue
02-17-2017, 09:14 PM
No Blue,

Back in time, there was an accessory for the Star made by Brewster. It held 1000 primers in front of your face. I never heard of one going Kaboom but if it did.......

I nearly ordered one, but common sense prevailed.

Don Verna

A wise judgment. The coroner would have used dental identification to determine whom you were if that thang blew up; your puss would of been so mangled, no one could ID you.

BUT, those presses have the best customer service!!!! So when I screw up and damage something, I'll get a free part!!!!

jmorris
02-18-2017, 06:53 AM
He said Lee will never sell a tubed primer tool, it's an accident waiting happen.

Kind of an odd statement since they discontinued and no longer support the Auto Prime because they think they are/were too dangerous.

They also sell a special Explosion shield for use with the Loadmaster they say to use if you are using any primers except CCI or Remington.

http://leeprecision.com/lm-explosion-shield.html

2011redrider
02-21-2017, 12:24 AM
Just got a bench primer from RCBS and they were extremel y stiff. Called RCBS and they said they would send new tubes 3 weeks ago. Box got here Friday, only had the small primer tube and it was same as the last two. Have 4 dillon tubes and they are very smooth and light pressure is all thats needed. Had some spare Dillon pick up caps left over.
Took the white plastic ends out ith some pliers, cut the last 1/4 that has a step fot the plug with a mini tubing cutter. Ran yhem thru the case prep to chamfer and deburr the ends, twist the proper yellow and green caps on and all is good now.

Tried the reamer but, didn't seem to change much. Just another way to fix them..

3006guns
02-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Quick story........

I was wandering through a major chain sporting goods store and spotted the Federal priming unit.......last one on the shelf. I'd wanted one for a couple of years to help feed my 550, but the price put me off. Not this time! I grabbed it and headed for the register. As I set it on the counter, I mentioned to the clerk that one side of the blister pack was open, so be sure to give me a discount. I was joking, but he said "Okay" and promptly knocked ten bucks off the price!

It's the little victories...........:)

bgw45
02-21-2017, 07:07 PM

Mr.Morris, I think your talking about the FA tool. My experience with it was disappointing. I read all the posts saying you gotta be a putz if you can't get the FA to work. I had frequent upside down primers. Smoothed all surfaces in the chute and still no luck. Called FA and they sent me another. Same issues. Might be me. They are on my give away list. I'm not spending more time trying to save time. The putz has thrown in the towel.

dragon813gt
02-21-2017, 07:56 PM
Mr.Morris, I think your talking about the FA tool. My experience with it was disappointing. I read all the posts saying you gotta be a putz if you can't get the FA to work. I had frequent upside down primers. Smoothed all surfaces in the chute and still no luck. Called FA and they sent me another. Same issues. Might be me. They are on my give away list. I'm not spending more time trying to save time. The putz has thrown in the towel.

You're not alone. I went through two of them. Spent hours trying to get them to feed properly. I got rid of all my Lee molds because I don't want to have to "make" them work. I'm not about to do this w/ a primer tube filler. I could have loaded hundreds of tubes in the amount of time I spent trying to get the FA units to work.

I have another round tray auto prime on it's way to me. I may get around to adapting this one to filling primer tubes.

Catshooter
02-22-2017, 01:51 AM
Good idea OS OK. To make mine work easier I slit the plastic piece with a razor knife 90 degrees from the factory slit.

Cat