PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro Melt-2

54bore
02-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Anyone have this new Pro Melt-2? I think its new? I cant find reviews or anything outside of the RCBS Website about it?

The improved RCBS® Pro-Melt™-2 furnace is a necessity for those who love to cast lead bullets. The 25-pound capacity can mould hundreds of projectiles. The programmable temperature control has a digital readout to ensure accuracy, and the bottom-pour design ensures accurate, safe casting. If the first step of hand- loading is manufacturing bullets, the Pro-Melt™-2 is a necessity.

54bore
02-15-2017, 08:03 AM
I am seriously looking into buying a good pot, The Pro Melt gets the best reviews by far, i have a Lee 4-20 that is near new, i am constantly fiddling with it, i have made a few mods to it, opened up the flow a bit to fill the big molds faster, (I pour Large Heavy bullets up to 600 Grains) mine leaked bad at first, i noticed the spout was bent, actually it wasn't the spout it was the housing itself, i took a pair of vise grips and bent it back to where it looked straight up and down, it stopped leaking!! By straightening the spout i caused a leak around it somehow? It's actually leaking down the outsided edge of the spout, so its getting between the pot and housing, i probably should drain the pot and inspect, probably just tighten up the nut on the bottom that holds the spout (99.9% sure this is the problem) but you have to tear the whole pot apart to get to it. Long story short i am tired of messing with it, its a *** in my opinion!
Anyone have this new RCBS Pro Melt-2, if so how do you like it? Is it better than the original one?
I have a brand new Rowell bottom pour ladle and a Lyman, i keep threatening to learn how to use this new Rowell and forget about the fancy pots, i have used the Lyman a few times, But after using an electric bottom pour its almost impossible for me to think about ladle casting. When everything gets up to temp and running smoothly I can pour a mountain of bullets in a hurry with the bottom pour! I know A lot of guys swear by ladle casting the big heavy bullets, other than opening the spout on my New Junker Lee pot i have had no problems with getting good bullets? I am picky, i only keep the bullets that weigh 1 grain of eachother, a tenth one way or the other and they go back in the melt.

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Love my two promelts. the new one has better heat control but I don't know that I would shell out extra for it. My old ones cast just fine.

PbHurler
02-15-2017, 08:59 AM
I'm not so sure these are available as of yet. I did a little searching and didn't find any listed.

The photo from RCBS's site also says "prototype"

A PID controlled Pro Melt? I'd think it would be a good seller, particularly knowing RCBS's customer service track record.

(Hell I haven't fired up the last Promelt I bought:oops:)

Can anyone who may have gone to the Shot Show verify if these were in the RCBS booth?

jmort
02-15-2017, 10:32 AM
Nice looking. Hate to see Chinese/RCBS fusion but where else do you get the "brain?"
Took Lyman forever to get their unit on the market delay after delay even after set availability date were announced.
I have a PID so not sure exciting for me.

Beagle333
02-15-2017, 10:44 AM
That's going to push the cost of the Pro-Melt up close to $500 and that's a lot of beans for a pot to melt lead in.

Valley-Shooter
02-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Good to see RCBS is updating an already great product. I wonder what the price will be?

jmort
02-15-2017, 10:47 AM
At that price, $500 range, I would for sure be getting the Magma Master Pot

PbHurler
02-15-2017, 10:49 AM
At that price, $500 range, I would for sure be getting the Magma Master Pot

Ditto

g17
02-15-2017, 10:55 AM
I think that pot will be a winner. At the first part of December my wife gave me an early Christmas gift which was a Pro-melt. Up til then all I had used was a Lee 4-20 pot and after firing off the new pot, my thoughts were I'd never pay the extra $ for one over the lee. It also dripped but not as bad as the Lee. However, I think the drip may have been temp and alloy dependent because after plugging it to my PID, it's a casting fool with no drips.

Nueces
02-15-2017, 11:58 AM
The RCBS site (may dry ground be upon them) has the 120 VAC unit priced at $315.

jmort
02-15-2017, 12:13 PM
So RCBS either "cheapened" the pot or you get a free PID. That would be deal.
They are great with warranties but the Pro Melt has a two year warranty and all the RCBS Chinese electronic stuff has a one year warranty.

54bore
02-15-2017, 01:24 PM
Just now got off the phone with RCBS, this product has not yet been released, expected in the next couple of months, suggested retail is 314.95, the Rep told me when places such as midway etc. get it in stock that it should be roughly 30% below the 314.95 price, and that i should NOT ever pay more than the 314.95 for the unit! I will be patiently waiting for this one to hit the shelves!

Beagle333
02-15-2017, 01:57 PM
Just now got off the phone with RCBS, this product has not yet been released, expected in the next couple of months, suggested retail is 314.95,....
So it's going to be improved, with a PID built-in, and be less than the current one. Nice.

jmort
02-15-2017, 02:06 PM
^^^ neat trick if they can pull it off. Does not make sense, they add a PID and the MSRP goes down for the same quality pot??? Is the whole deal Chinese, if so then all of this makes sense. If the old model stays in production, will it go south of $300 MSRP???Unicorns do exist.

Beagle333
02-15-2017, 02:15 PM
Yes, I am going to be very suspicious as to what's missing that lowered the price, and still allowed for added features.

Nueces
02-15-2017, 02:28 PM
What'll be 'missing' will be the electro-mechanical thermostat and the required assembly thereof.

jmort
02-15-2017, 03:31 PM
I am just think they went the way of Lyman Mag 25 PID
100% made in China
I believe the MSRP on the Pro Melt is $480.00
Will just have to wait and see
Lyman may have forced their hand

"MADE IN CHINA" was conspicuously printed on the box" From Lyman Mag 25 Box

GRid.1569
02-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Let's hope they get the mould guide right... :grin::grin:

gpidaho
02-15-2017, 03:44 PM
My new RCBS ProMelt was purchased when Midway had a sale and with $100 rebate it brought the price down to the mid 200s but yes, it's Chinese. In OPs pic the new ones look to be an improvement with the PID. Gp

Smoke4320
02-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Just now got off the phone with RCBS, this product has not yet been released, expected in the next couple of months, suggested retail is 314.95, the Rep told me when places such as midway etc. get it in stock that it should be roughly 30% below the 314.95 price, and that i should NOT ever pay more than the 314.95 for the unit! I will be patiently waiting for this one to hit the shelves!

$220.00 for a Pro melt 2 .. I would be jumping on that one ...

Love Life
02-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Very cool, but I'm saving my pennies for the digital master pot.

jmort
02-15-2017, 05:30 PM
^^^
$800 but worth it
40 lb capacity and best quality
Someday

Love Life
02-15-2017, 05:44 PM
Someday

Yeah, it's in my long term planning, lol.

dragon813gt
02-15-2017, 06:28 PM
For the electrically challenged I see the appeal. For me, no appeal. A stand alone PID has more uses, like my smoker. So a dedicated one makes it less useful to me. I'm having a hard time figuring out it's cheaper while maintaining the same quality.

dannyd
02-15-2017, 06:58 PM
The pro melt was from a company RCBS purchased in the late 70's or early 80's. My first one was in the states.

54bore
02-15-2017, 08:19 PM
The regular Pro melt is 326.99 at Midway right now, Amazon is 397.04, i do a lot of dealings with buffalo arms, i live 30 minutes from there. They have the Lyman Mag 25 for 238.49, and the Pro Melt for 378.92, i thought seriously about the Lyman Mag 25 but i have yet to hear ANYTHING good about Lyman's customer service, I have there 57sml peep sights and 17 series Globes on 4 Muzzleloaders, i have never had a problem and needed any warranty. I have had darn good luck with RCBS over the last 30 years, the few times i needed anything they took care of it in a timely matter no questions asked. I am not in a huge hurry on the getting a new Furnace, i think it would be smart to wait on this new one from RCBS, china bothers me, but what do you do? Sadly most everything is made there! I dont pour enuf bullets to make sense of anything any higher dollar than the Pro Melt. Will be interesting to see what happens in the near future, i am gonna go in and copy RCBS's page on the New Pro Melt-2 showing their price, in case they Mysteriously end up at 450.00 bucks, Which wouldn't shock me

LenH
02-16-2017, 06:22 PM
I just looked on their site and they have another unit called the easy melt, for ladle casters.

Lloyd Smale
02-19-2017, 08:04 AM
yup I haven't seen them that cheap for years.

54bore
02-21-2017, 12:16 PM

I most definitely will be!!

Taterhead
02-23-2017, 12:07 PM
My new RCBS ProMelt was purchased when Midway had a sale and with $100 rebate it brought the price down to the mid 200s but yes, it's Chinese. In OPs pic the new ones look to be an improvement with the PID. Gp

My Pro Melt was purchased in 2016 from Midway and it said Made in the USA on the box. Very likely it had some imported components, of course. Did your Pro Melt say Made in China? The Mag 25 that I bought and returned did say Made in China.

gwpercle
02-23-2017, 02:40 PM
While keeping my 1968 Chevelle on the road we have discovered , with the poor quality of Chinese parts , electric motors , switches, relays etc... that you have to order 4 of the same part , out of the four one maybe two will work , then you have to return the others. It's frustrating to wait for a part , then when you get it , open the box and it doesn't work , then do the return and wait thing all over...Chinese electrics are not good at all and if RCBS is using them, that's sad !
Say what you will about Lee melting pots....they are made in the USA and I have three , one dates back to 1972...and it still works.
Gary

dragon813gt
02-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Chinese electrics are not good at all and if RCBS is using them, that's sad !
So did you type this on a computer, phone or tablet? All of them are made in China. China builds parts to a spec. Apple does a good job of keeping them to a high standard. I get your point about the parts not working. But a lot of the blame falls on a company like Dorman that accepts sub par parts from China. There is more at fault then just the country of origin.

Bama
02-23-2017, 06:53 PM
This may be vendor you were looking for:

http://www.opennrg.com/product-category/my2ndright/

No Blue
02-23-2017, 07:18 PM
I don't know why all the amazement about the new one costing less. There has been a really tenuous relationship between cost of production and retail price for most of the last 20 years. If a vendor like RCBS considers themselves a 'top line' company, they'll include a large price premium over the normal markup in the industry.

You see it with all the boutique AR15 gun vendors like BCM, DD, LMT, etc. If you cost all the parts, they get 50% and more than the more volume vendors. The fanboies all rant about how the better QC makes the difference for the higher price. Yeah, right.

Most of the fanboies have no idea about QC inspections, how it's done, what it costs. They think somebody picking up a bare upper receiver can tell if it's a good one by looking at it....yeah, right.

I bet RCBS has noticed a slower rate of sales on the current pot and realized they needed something new, better, and cheaper to really move the iron. The fact that the whole thing is made in China tells you how they were able to get the price down.

That, and maybe all the stuff Lee sells in the same market at a considerably lower price for similar performance; that would have pushed them toward a lower price point.

I used to work in the auto business, in '93 Mercedes cut $9000 from the retail price of an E400. Why? the Lexus LS400 was about $15,000 less than the E400 for the '90-'92 model years, and Lexus was eating MB's lunch in that segment.

The E400 owners that had paid $50,000 for their cars were not happy campers when the price dropped to $41,000. I knew the sales manager at a MB dealer and he told me about this. He spent all day trying to calm irate owners....

Springfield
02-23-2017, 08:06 PM
I just talked to RCBS yesterday as I needed a new pot. I managed to knock mine off the table re-arranging things, and bent the spout enough to tear it loose from the pot. I only noticed it when I fired it up and lead came dribbling out the side of the sheet metal body. Sure surprised me! Put an ingot mold under the pot and shut if off, then took it apart to find the problem. They are sending me a new one, free. Customer Service at it's finest. I'm sure glad I didn't violate my "never leave a hot pot unattended".

1bluehorse
02-26-2017, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=No Blue;3962130] The fact that the whole thing is made in China tells you how they were able to get the price down.

That, and maybe all the stuff Lee sells in the same market at a considerably lower price for similar performance; that would have pushed them toward a lower price point.

Do you have confirmation that "the whole thing is made in China" or are you just starting a rumor to that effect to the detriment of a fine company. If there is proof that RCBS is now making their Pro Melts in China let's see it, other wise the statement has no value. As far as the Lee Pro 20/17lb having "similar" performance, the only thing the two have in common is they will both melt lead. I do believe the Lee pots ARE a great value for what you get, but that's about it.

No Blue
02-26-2017, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE=No Blue;3962130] The fact that the whole thing is made in China tells you how they were able to get the price down.

Do you have confirmation that "the whole thing is made in China" or are you just starting a rumor to that effect to the detriment of a fine company. If there is proof that RCBS is now making their Pro Melts in China let's see it, other wise the statement has no value. As far as the Lee Pro 20/17lb having "similar" performance, the only thing the two have in common is they will both melt lead. I do believe the Lee pots ARE a great value for what you get, but that's about it.

Look at the rest of the thread; the peeps with Green stuff are not happy campers. Doesn't work. I don't have much green, so I don't know if it works. But I doubt it.

VHoward
02-27-2017, 12:33 AM
I thought this whole thread was about a pot that hasn't been released yet? As for people not being happy with green stuff, If it is barley max, then I understand that. But I bet everyone who has purchased an RCBS product that didn't work got it replaced for free. The one item of theirs that I bought and broke, they replaced no questions asked. You doubt that something that isn;t released yet works. You must be psychic.

barnabus
02-27-2017, 07:05 AM
in think it looks cheap.Ill buy the used old ones.

TexasGrunt
02-27-2017, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=1bluehorse;3966229]

Look at the rest of the thread; the peeps with Green stuff are not happy campers. Doesn't work. I don't have much green, so I don't know if it works. But I doubt it.

Hmm.. I have a Pro-Melt, bench mount swager, a couple of lock-out dies and a few other Green pieces and I'm happier than a pig in carp.

Nueces
02-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Not surprised "it looks cheap". I think the photo in the original post is a rather basic photo chop job, a mockup of the proposed product.

No Blue
02-27-2017, 11:34 PM

Two different reports in this thread about one made in China, and another made in the USA. Both bought in the last six months. More recent was China. So it kinds of looks like they're going east. The presses have been made in China for a couple of years, at least from what I've read. Really hard to ignore how much cheaper you can get the same product made over there, compared to US production. So I think I'm not jumping the gun by saying it's coming out of the orient. But we'll see in a bit, won't we?

Lee is still 100% made in Wisconsin. I wonder how they do it?

I think they have 'similar' performance. Both 20#, both bottom pour, use 120v. If the green one had a robotic arm that placed the mold under the pot, lifted the valve arm, and then emptied the mold, THAT would be different. But it doesn't have that. It just melts the lead and lets you open the spout to fill the mold. Just like the Lee at $62.00.

But green is about $340 to your door....that for sure is not similar.

I got a green lock out die and trigger gauge, those were decently priced and functional. But way too much of their stuff is over priced for what you get.

There's a really interesting article about the history of Lee in the '92 Handloaders Digest. Green, orange, other red, blue, etc. were real happy with Lee until they started making dies and then presses. Lee got peeps started in reloading, then needed more than the whack a mole Lee Loader, so they bought all the other colors.

But when Lee started to compete with the rest of them, that was when Lee became the enemy. I got green and orange reloading manuals that list all the different color shell holders for various cartridges; except Lee.

Do you know that Lee made Safety Scales in green, blue, orange, and red plastic 25 years ago? Even then he was trolling them....I'd like to have the complete set.

And the other thing I never understood is the obsession with the user screwing something up and getting a free part from the vendor. When I bought all my stuff 20+ years ago, I had no idea that was the norm in the reloading biz. Lee had a 2 year warranty, which made sense and I never needed it. But the green and blue peeps ALWAYS mention they get 'free' parts. They're not 'free'; you paid for them in the inflated price you paid for the tool.

Rant off.

VHoward
02-28-2017, 12:23 AM
I did need the warranty service from Lee and got screwed. Maybe what I choose to use costs more, but at least I don't have any problems getting warranty service.

And again you cite that RCBS presses are made in China based on what you read, but have no actual experience with them. Where did you read it? Was it a credible source? You read all sorts of "stories" on the internet.

dragon813gt
02-28-2017, 07:26 AM
RCBS presses are not made in China. This is one of those rumors that doesn't want to die. RCBS has stated they are made in the US. Their digital scales are made in China. But seeing as how it's impossible to buy one that's made w/ 100% US parts it makes sense.

Let's wait and see where this new pot is made. Speculating about it is foolish. And I don't see why Lee has been brought into the conversation. No one knows where it's been made so touting Lee's being made in the US serves no purpose.

Dragonheart
02-28-2017, 07:28 AM
My old RCBS Pro Melt has given me years of good service and unlike me everything on the Pro Melt still works like new after tens of thousands of pours. So I guess I will just keep the old pot and see who dies first.

jmort
02-28-2017, 08:37 AM
"RCBS presses are not made in China. This is one of those rumors that doesn't want to die."

For a short time some press frames were outsourced to China. This fact is why the "rumors" persist.

dragon813gt
02-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Were they? I thought their answer was that they never were and that is was a rumor.

jmort
02-28-2017, 09:23 AM
It was short lived. Frames cast in China and finished here. RCBS reverted back in short order.

There was an article in Handloder about it. The argument about rumor or fact is pretty well laid out here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-132083.html

No Blue
03-01-2017, 12:05 AM
"RCBS presses are not made in China. This is one of those rumors that doesn't want to die."

For a short time some press frames were outsourced to China. This fact is why the "rumors" persist.

Thanks Jmort, I knew I had seen that on numerous other forums, but I wasn't aware that it was a short time deal. Reloading peeps are really strident about cast iron; US made cast iron!

No Blue
03-01-2017, 12:18 AM
I did need the warranty service from Lee and got screwed. Maybe what I choose to use costs more, but at least I don't have any problems getting warranty service.

And again you cite that RCBS presses are made in China based on what you read, but have no actual experience with them. Where did you read it? Was it a credible source? You read all sorts of "stories" on the internet.

Now that Jmort has established there were Chinese green presses, I'm really curious about how Lee screwed you in your warranty claim. Within the stated 2 year period? Or outside? Love to know.

When you consider how little Lee charges, there can't be much of a warranty fund built into the price; not like green or blue. Lee is materials, labor, markup and it's out the door. I still see newbs axing about how Lee can sell cheaper than all the other colors and if they're legit.

So tell us the gory details!

VHoward
03-01-2017, 12:52 AM
Lee pro 1000 purchased from factory sales. Showed up with no turret to install the dies in. Called Lee and they said it did not come with a turret. Called Factory Sales and they said it was supposed to. They sent me one and said they would deal with Lee. Real quality control there and a good way to support your customers. I ended up not liking the pro 1000 anyway and sold it on ebay for almost what I paid for it. I have tried most of Lee's presses and found them lacking. I keep what I like and get rid of what I don't. The only Lee press remaining in my house is a Lee Classic Cast single stage. The only Lee press worth keeping. Lee dies on the other hand are very good.

I bought a used RCBS sizing die in .223. I broke a decapping pin in it. I could not find any in stock locally or online at the time. So I called RCBS and asked them if I could buy some directly from them. They took my mailing address and name and said some would be in the mail after they found out which die it was. I asked them if they wanted my credit card to pay for them and they said no charge. I received a few days later an inner assembly that holds the decapping pin and a package of pins. I have been buying RCBS equipment ever since. New and used.

No Blue
03-01-2017, 01:37 AM
Lee pro 1000 purchased from factory sales. Showed up with no turret to install the dies in. Called Lee and they said it did not come with a turret. Called Factory Sales and they said it was supposed to. They sent me one and said they would deal with Lee. Real quality control there and a good way to support your customers. I ended up not liking the pro 1000 anyway and sold it on ebay for almost what I paid for it. I have tried most of Lee's presses and found them lacking. I keep what I like and get rid of what I don't. The only Lee press remaining in my house is a Lee Classic Cast single stage. The only Lee press worth keeping. Lee dies on the other hand are very good.

I bought a used RCBS sizing die in .223. I broke a decapping pin in it. I could not find any in stock locally or online at the time. So I called RCBS and asked them if I could buy some directly from them. They took my mailing address and name and said some would be in the mail after they found out which die it was. I asked them if they wanted my credit card to pay for them and they said no charge. I received a few days later an inner assembly that holds the decapping pin and a package of pins. I have been buying RCBS equipment ever since. New and used.

I agree with you that Lee dropped the ball; all the progressive presses come with turrets. I wonder about the person you spoke to at Lee and how long they had been there. My inclination is to go above their head to the next level of management. I was a customer service rep for 17 years, and I encouraged somebody that didn't agree with me to go over my head and talk to management. With that much experience, I had a pretty good idea what was legit and what was not.

I got 4 different Lee presses; Loadmaster, Classic turret, Challenger single stage, and the C frame whatever it's called. They all work. It's not a real complicated action; up and down....

If you mangle a Lee depriming pin, I've read they'll send one free of charge. I've never pranged one, so I don't know.

I avoid that by using my DIY depriming gizmo where I put new once fired brass in a wood block and fish for the flash hole with a DIY pin and hammer. This eliminates the berdan and other primer screw ups that bend depriming pins.

Taterhead
03-08-2017, 01:09 AM
The Rock Chucker Supreme is the most iconic RCBS item. The new boxes sitting on the shelves at my LGS says made in USA. As did mine when I bought it years ago. As did my Pro 2000. My Pro Melt purchased in 2016 said made in the USA as does the LAM 2 that I asked about very recently. There are persistent claims of Chinese manufacture, but seem to be rooted in rumor for the most part. I believe that I've seen one or more of the cheeper aluminum presses made in China, but their bread and butter stuff is not.

If anyone is curious, just give the good folks in Oroville a call. They'll be straight up with you.

USSR
03-08-2017, 11:04 AM
I've had my Lyman Mag 25 for several months now and really like it. Got it when it was on sale at Midway for less than $200. Made in China or not, it works well.

Don

Adam20
03-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Grafs show not in stock for pro melt 2 for $264.99 for 240v no 120 listed yet

shoot-n-lead
03-08-2017, 02:36 PM
It will be overpriced, just like the regular pro-melt is.

They may have pretty good warranty...but you pay through the nose for it with the melting pot...at the price they get for them, they SHOULD be great and have a great warranty.

At the price mentioned...when they do come out, you won't have any problem getting one as there will be no scramble to get them,as few will pay that price to melt lead.

garymcgehee52
03-08-2017, 07:26 PM
I like my Pro Melt pot but I also have a Lee Production Pot IV that I bought in 1975 that still works fine.

TexasGrunt
03-08-2017, 07:44 PM
It will be overpriced, just like the regular pro-melt is.

They may have pretty good warranty...but you pay through the nose for it with the melting pot...at the price they get for them, they SHOULD be great and have a great warranty.

At the price mentioned...when they do come out, you won't have any problem getting one as there will be no scramble to get them,as few will pay that price to melt lead.

One of the things on my list of equipment is another Pro-Melt. I've had Lee pots. Not going down that path again.

Road_Clam
03-09-2017, 10:06 AM
I wonder if that pot will carry RCBS's full lifetime warranty. On some complex items RCBS is not offering a "full" no hassle warranty. For example is my Chargmaster 1500 combo, RCBS will warranty the "mechanical" side of the unit, but they will not warranty any of the electronic components.

jmort
03-09-2017, 10:19 AM
The Chinese stuff has a short fuse warranty.

teg2658
03-11-2017, 04:48 PM
I have a RCBS promelt that was bought new in the mid 1980s. About 10 years it started to drip on its own so I sent it back, rebuilt for free and shipped back to me. Great service.
Tom

TexasGrunt
03-25-2017, 07:33 PM
I noticed that some retailers are out of Pro-Melts and have a notice it's been discontinued. I'm guessing we'll see the PM II soon.

jmort
03-25-2017, 07:50 PM
It does seem that there is no more Pro Melt. They have a Pro-Melt II and an Easy Melt for dipping

PRO MELT-2
http://rcbs.com/getattachment/Products/Bullet-Casting/Accessories/Pro-Melt-2/Pro-Melt-Furnace.png.aspx?maxsidesize=700

$314.95 - $349.95
The improved RCBS® Pro-Melt™-2 furnace is a necessity for those who love to cast lead bullets. The 25-pound capacity can mould hundreds of projectiles. The programmable temperature control has a digital readout to ensure accuracy, and the bottom-pour design ensures accurate, safe casting. If the first step of hand- loading is manufacturing bullets, the Pro-Melt™-2 is a necessity.

Type Options 120 VAC 240 VAC

FIND A DEALER (http://rcbs.com/Dealer-Locator.aspx)

FEATURES (http://rcbs.com/Products/Bullet-Casting/Accessories/Pro-Melt-2.aspx#)

25-pound capacity
Programmable digital temperature control
Pot cover
Bottom pour
Limited Two Year Warranty

EASY-MELT
http://rcbs.com/getattachment/Products/Bullet-Casting/Accessories/Easy-Melt/Easy-Melt.png.aspx?maxsidesize=700

$149.95 - $174.95
The new RCBS® Easy-Melt™ lead/ladle pot is a necessity for those who love to cast lead bullets with a traditional ladle. The pot's 25-pound capacity is enough to cast hundreds of projectiles. The programmable temperature control has a digital readout to ensure accuracy. A hinged cover warms moulds while keeping out debris. The Easy-Melt™ lead/ladle pot is a traditional option for those who love to manufacture bullets.

Type Options 120 VAC 240 VAC

FIND A DEALER (http://rcbs.com/Dealer-Locator.aspx)

FEATURES (http://rcbs.com/Products/Bullet-Casting/Accessories/Easy-Melt.aspx#)

25-pound capacity
Programmable digital temperature control
Hinged pot cover
Limited Two Year Warranty

Adam20
03-25-2017, 08:50 PM
I called rcbs, they are expecting to have them out in July or august.

TexasGrunt
03-25-2017, 09:15 PM
Wow! So the plan is not to have a furnace available for 3 to 4 months? Sounds like a bad decision to me.

45r
03-26-2017, 12:14 AM
2 year warranty.

VHoward
03-26-2017, 12:18 AM
2year warranty just like the original Pro Melt. Just like all of their equipment that uses electricity. Often times RCBS just chose to fix a customers Pro Melt that they had had for 20 or more years for free though. Would not expect that to change.

jmort
03-26-2017, 12:33 AM
With all the problems Lyman had with China, I think RCBS will be lucky to have their China pots out by August.

Devon
03-26-2017, 09:34 AM
I purchased a Waage K47575-1 pot a couple of weeks ago. Current price is $216 plus $30 shipping. It is a ladle casting pot. Made in New Jersey.

jmort
03-26-2017, 09:49 AM
I I got my Waage two years ago, so the price is still close

We manufacture the K4757. ~#25 pounds, temperature 800 °F; 115v We maintain the price affordable for the re-loaders. The item is marketed via the re-loader blogs.
1. The K4757 melter is scheduled to be manufactured within the next 10 business days.
2. The price is $198.00 + S& H of $30.00

trixter
03-29-2017, 11:12 AM
A friend loaned (and spoiled me) me his Pro melt. While in my care it shorted out and burned up the thermostat (bad power cord). They said send it to us, OK but the pot had 20 lbs of lead in it, they said dismantle it and send us everything but the pot. I did and in about 10 days I had a brand new unit, (including pot). So when he got it back, it was new, we both were happy. Then I bought the Lyman Mag 25, I've been happy with it, it works great. I think either would be a good choice.

Drew P
03-29-2017, 09:28 PM
Invest in the mods on your lee pot. It's a fine melter just not good at regulation and the drip can be easily overcome. I've never used a promelt but I can't see how it would make solid into liquid any better really.
Discalimer: I did retrofit my lee with a PID, and custom rod valve setup.

gondwana
04-01-2017, 07:44 PM
Maybe I am just too old fashioned but that new model looks more cheaply made to me. Glad I have my Pro-melt.

mold maker
02-13-2018, 04:26 PM
China can and will build to spec at a price point. Problem is that they will find the cheapest possible production method and parts to do it. You have to be very careful to make the specs meet your expectations.
It appears that they have done so with the Lyman unit. As with any new design sent overseas, there were problems that had to be worked out, delaying production. RCBS is probably having the same problem.
I just hope to keep the smoke from escaping my older pots till we get access to Pro 2s.

Dragonheart
02-13-2018, 06:20 PM
Knowing what I know I would rather have a used original Pro-Melt than the new one.

David2011
02-14-2018, 03:30 AM
My Pro-Melt is about 40 years old. The pot and stem were replaced a few years ago but RCBS was willing to send me the parts so all it cost me was some steel pop rivets. Even at the Pro-Melt II price in the $340 range that extrapolates to $8.50 USD/year. The long term cost of ownership of good stuff is low.

cajun shooter
02-23-2018, 05:00 PM
The current price of a Wagge is $236 plus $30 shipping. They are built from scratch when ordered and it's about 10 to 14 days to complete. I've had 2 of them for years and they are the best if you ladle pour for the larger calibers. I also have 2 RCBS Pro melts and I have to laugh from some of the postings made about them. One poster stated that he had never used one but how can it be better than a pot made by Lee. My answer to that my friend is you don't have enough time in the trench.
A gunsmith by the name of Coyote Cap found out about sending the Chinese a set of building specs and then receiving a different item back. When he had a China company build the repo of the Winchester 1887 lever action shotgun, he received cast receivers instead of the forged ones he wanted. He had to go to China to make sure the next guns were made correctly.
I hope that RCBS has better results. It's very sad that this country has lost it's ability to manufacture it's own goods. If something was to happen with our dependence on China, we will be at a loss.

jlag19
07-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Anybody know why there is no availability of the Pro Melt II at this point in time? MidwayUSA and the other retailers state that it is out of stock, no backorder. I wonder if RCBS found a defect in the new model and took them off of the market? Just a theory and I have no reason to push that theory. RCBS is a top notch company, so I wonder what the status is.

Mal Paso
07-08-2018, 10:52 PM
Brownelles will let you preorder, like the first batch. I don't think Midway let you backorder last time either.

Dragonheart
07-09-2018, 05:35 AM
Anybody know why there is no availability of the Pro Melt II at this point in time? MidwayUSA and the other retailers state that it is out of stock, no backorder. I wonder if RCBS found a defect in the new model and took them off of the market? Just a theory and I have no reason to push that theory. RCBS is a top notch company, so I wonder what the status is.

I think any theories would be just speculation at this time, but yours seems logical. I personally have had a Pro-Melt that has is is still serving me well and did not see the need for a new model. I would like to see the manufacture of all these products, especially gun related, move back to the US as our markets are flooded with cheap inferior Chinese good that have virtually no longevity.

greenjoytj
07-20-2018, 10:11 PM
Wow! So the plan is not to have a furnace available for 3 to 4 months? Sounds like a bad decision to me.
The bad plan was to have it made in China. Build on time, on budget or working, pick any 2. You can't have all 3.
I live in Canada, it you took all the Asian/Pacific rim products off the store shelves you have nothing to left in the stores.