PDA

View Full Version : hardness effect velocity?

Oklahoma Rebel
02-14-2017, 08:11 PM
does a boolit at 15bhn go any ffaster or slower then one at 22-25? just thought a hard boolit might be harder so squeeze down the barrel? or once barrel sized it might be slicker and go faster? I dunno, thought one of you might-Travis

runfiverun
02-15-2017, 01:09 AM
your thinking BHN again.
alloy composition man.

but what can happen is the engraving pressure can spike a slightly slower powder enough to burn more completely and efficiently.
there is a relationship between alloy makeup, powder speed, boolit shape, and jump to lands.

GhostHawk
02-15-2017, 09:16 AM
Overthinking it in my opinion.

Quit trying to go faster. 1500 fps is all anyone needs.

Sure speed makes it easy. Kids like candy too, but it will rot your teeth and make you miserable later.

If you need speed bite the bullet and shoot jacketed.

Or slow down, relax, and shoot cast.

Yodogsandman
02-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Time to get a chronograph. Inquiring minds need toys to play with.

OS OK
02-15-2017, 10:05 AM
Speed doesn't make them accurate...you still have to find and shoot off a node.

hermans
02-15-2017, 10:07 AM
+1 Yodogsandman......to measure is to know!

Toymaker
02-15-2017, 11:15 AM
No. At least my average velocity for my 45-70 using a LaserCast 405 grain bullet (BHN 35) is the same as same bullet cast in pure lead is the same as the same bullet cast in 30:1 is the same as the same bullet cast in 20:1. Well, according to my chrony anyway.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-15-2017, 11:38 AM
If everything else is as identical as can be, using ammo that is assembled with hobbyist equipment and velocity is measured with a hobbyist chrono while the test shooting was happening at your average range with no scientific controls over the ambient temperature or wind, then I'd suspect there would be no measurable difference, outside the other possible influences I hinted at with my clarifications.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-15-2017, 04:11 PM
ok, was just curious, the pressure helping the slow powder makes sense, but like the others said, probably not enough to make a big difference

Oklahoma Rebel
02-15-2017, 04:13 PM
I am not planning on going faster anyways, as I have my accuracy where I want it. was more curious about my batch of alloy I made and its effects. thanks guys!-Travis

runfiverun
02-15-2017, 05:32 PM
Travis file some of what I'm telling you away.
there will be a time when you get a 308 or 30-06 and have some casting time under your belt.
then one morning your gonna think what exactly do I need to make this go fast and shoot well.
you'll pull out that lyman or lee mold and give it a go and see the holes just getting further and further apart.
some of this stuff will pop up and you'll have a better idea what you should be looking for and doing to get there.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-16-2017, 12:53 PM
load for a 7.62X54. I do not load it to the max. I don't understand why you think I am not listenin or that I think I know it all cuz I don't. I asked the question because I was about to load up some 7.62X39s with a new, harder alloy, and If you guys said that it was faster I was going to back off on the charge by a smidge. I also know that pushing boolits too fast is innacurate, unneccassary, and a waste of powder, that I can hardly afford. my sks is shooting well at about 1850-190fps w/lee 155 and 1500-1550 w/lee 185. im not planning on going faster. I just ask questions to learn. is that irritating to you? because I like to learn. you have totally mis-judged me. I wish I could meet you and prove you wrong about me. I know a lot of younger people are not respectful of their elders, and/or they don't realize how much we have to learn from you and pass it on to our youth.we.. I am truly sorry. if you do not think I am listening, why do you bother to reply? have a good day, really-travis