PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating and Gas Operated Rifle

huntrick64
02-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Looking into getting an older Ruger 44 Carbine. They are a gas-operated 44 Mag. Shooting plain lead boolits is not recommended due to potentially plugging the gas port. Has anyone had any experience with powder coated boolits and gas operation?

popper
02-14-2017, 07:12 PM
No problem in DI ARs. Not familiar with the Ruger, can the system be cleaned?

Boolit_Head
02-14-2017, 09:46 PM
Another with no issues with powder coated lead in a AR.

vincewarde
02-20-2017, 03:26 AM
OK, first of all when a firearms manufacturer tells you to avoid lead bullet ammo, they are talking about factory ammo. The vast majority of factory lead ammo is VERY SOFT. This allows the bullets to be formed by swaging.

Remember every gun maker tells you not to use reloads - even though they know we all will do so. After all, they have no control over what kind of ammo we might load. They also are not going to go into detail over what kind of lead bullets create problems and what kind do not. Many people have good results with hard alloy cast bullets in polygonal barrels, including Glocks. However, Glock finds it easier, and legally safer, to just safe "no lead ammo" and "no reloads".

I would bet that the same thing applies here. I have fired hundreds of rounds of cast bullets through my M1 carbine with zero problems. I would bet that your 44 mag would be the same. Worst cast, the gas port gets clogged and you have to clean it. It is 100% your gun and your call - but if it were me I would review the cleaning procedures and then give hard cast bullets a try. I bet if you check the gas system afterwards it will be as clean as a whistle.

Moonie
02-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Keep in mind the gas system on the 44 ruger is very difficult to clean from what I've read.