PDA

View Full Version : Always humbling

jonk
07-02-2008, 08:49 AM
I got out my Argentine 1909 carbine last weekend to do some shooting. I recalled that it hadn't done so great with lead bullets (still have to figure out that, probably a sizing issue or a copper issue) and that in fact, it had leaded the bore up last time I shot it.

Now, I cleaned the gun after the last shoot and wouldn't have put it away if I thought it dirty, but some little inner voice said, as it saw the JB bore paste on the bench, "give it a go."

I must have run 20 JB patches through and they were still coming out black and filthy at the end when I called it quits. Then I 'rinsed' with Ed's Red.

It's always humbling to take a gun you have already cleaned and find it's still dirty.

I will admit though, the bore looked a lot sharper at the end of this routine than before. Wonder what other guns I have with hidden crud in them?

dromia
07-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't think I've ever got a rifle back to bare metal, not that I'd necessarily want to.

I'm a big fan of Ed's Red for lead shot barrel and 10% household ammonia turn about with Ed's Red for copper shot barrels.

However I have to confess that I have a soft spot for Wipe Out when I'm trying to clean a new to me old barrel, it certainly saves on elbow grease.

jonk
07-02-2008, 11:34 AM
As a further note- the first few patches were very hard to start and really gripped the bore tightly as they slid down. I was using a non-bearing handle meaning I physically had to rotate the handle as it went down the bore. These patches weren't about to 'jump' the rifling.

By the end though, patches 15-20, they were much easier to start and push through. It must have polished things up and removed a fair amount of gunk.

JeffinNZ
07-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I like to get a barrel back to the bare metal at the beginning then maintain.
I have an electro bore cleaner and combined with some JB I have gotten a barrel CLEAN; saw it down a Hawkeye bore scope. Then I lube the bore with bullet lube and move forward from there just cleaning with Ed's Red as required.

Bret4207
07-03-2008, 08:45 AM
There's a shop I get to once a year or so that has a couple Engineers '91 Carbines. I want one, but the $$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!! Sweet little rifles, maybe someday.

Household ammonia or strong ammonia if you can get it along with some 4/0 steel wool on a worn brush work great for removing copper and lead and pretty much everything else. Add some Ed's Red/ATF and you'll get it clean.