PDA

View Full Version : Ram Priming Questions

three50seven
02-14-2017, 02:22 PM
Who uses a ram priming system? I see where most of the major manufacturers offer a version. Are there any distinct advantages/disadvantages to any of them or to this system in general? I'm wanting to find a new way to prime, as I'm getting tired of fighting with my Lee hand priming tool. I have a Rock Chucker, Lyman Spartan, and an older Lee press.

jmort
02-14-2017, 02:35 PM
I have a couple different versions, Lee and CH4D
Depending on the press, you get good feel and good primer depth with your press.
But they are slow and tedious. I use one on occasion with my hand presses.
As you note, you get one with the Lee hand press kit.

three50seven
02-14-2017, 02:43 PM
I see where Lee used to sell a primer feed system that worked with theirs, but it's now discontinued 😕

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Virginia John
02-14-2017, 02:59 PM
You can probably still find the Lee primer feed system. Check some of their prime vendors; Titan, FS Reloading, etc. I had one on the single stage and the 4 hole turret as well. You might try putting a want to buy on the S&S section here.

Gillie Dog
02-14-2017, 03:06 PM
I see where Lee used to sell a primer feed system that worked with theirs, but it's now discontinued

Auto Prime II. A little different than a Ram Prime. Best darn priming system there ever was, in my estimation anyway.

Works slick/easy, has "feel" can be set for primer depth with a little ingenuity on the your part.

They can be found once in awhile. I have seen them go for over $100 and as little as $25 on eBay in the last 12 months or so.

I have one for small primers and one for large primers on the little Lee 'C' presses to run all rifle cases through. Just pop in shell holder and prime away.

GD

jmort
02-14-2017, 03:10 PM
I have least one Auto Prime II
Stored away...somewhere

Bazoo
02-14-2017, 03:29 PM
I use a lee hand primer for most things. But I have a lee ram prime, that i've used occasionally. Its not as fast, but seats well. Feel is not as good, but acceptable.

OS OK
02-14-2017, 04:06 PM
...and some, are easier on the old paws.

dverna
02-14-2017, 04:23 PM
I broke down and got the RCBS bench priming tool. Less than $100.

Don Verna

No Blue
02-14-2017, 04:28 PM
Auto Prime II. A little different than a Ram Prime. Best darn priming system there ever was, in my estimation anyway.

Works slick/easy, has "feel" can be set for primer depth with a little ingenuity on the your part.

They can be found once in awhile. I have seen them go for over $100 and as little as $25 on eBay in the last 12 months or so.

I have one for small primers and one for large primers on the little Lee 'C' presses to run all rifle cases through. Just pop in shell holder and prime away.

GD

When I wanted one 7 years ago, NLA. That was one of the best priming tools, especially at $12. Dean Grennell in one of the ABC's of Reloading books showed how he 'fingered' 3 cases at the same time to really speed up production.

I think the cheapest I saw on Ebay was about $15+shipping, and that was a couple of years ago. I have 2 hand priming tools, original Lee and an RCBS clone. Then a turret press and a couple of Loadmasters. Use the LLM the most if I have the shell plate, just use the case collator and pound them out. Never had any of the LLM priming issues; but then I live clean.....:)

psweigle
02-14-2017, 04:44 PM
I love the auto prime II. MY favorite priming system by far.

PaulG67
02-14-2017, 07:04 PM
Also use the Lee Auto prime II, been using it for years, haven't found anything better yet.

W.R.Buchanan
02-14-2017, 07:28 PM
Obviously there is about 56 different priming tools on the market and I have probably 25 of them.

I have a Lyman Ram Priming Die which I use on my Hand Press. It allows a pretty goo feel when seating primers but you really need to clamp the press to a table to make it work right as you need both hands free to run the press and deal with the primers and cases.

If I am doing lots of Rifle Cases then the RCBS Bench Tool comes out as it is the easiest one to use. Its just a PITB to load the feed tubes.

I also use an RCBS Universal Hand Tool and that works good but I can only do about 50 rounds before my hand is done. It takes a lot of force to operate that tool. The Universal Shell Holder is a good idea.

All of these systems have advantages and disadvantages,,, The one with the least amount of disadvantages IMHO is the old style Lee Tool. It's only disadvantages are finding the shell holders and loading the primers one at a time. I have the all the shell holders I need so loading the primers one at a time is not that big a deal. Plus the tool is very compact and fits in a little bag I found somewhere, and is easy to use. I've had mine since 1971!

Randy

rmark
02-16-2017, 04:31 PM
I use the lee ram prime on my press, simple and easy to use, however I'm not a high volume shooter.

mdi
02-16-2017, 06:26 PM
To answer your question about a ram prime, I have used one for several years. I never liked hand primers, most didn't fit my hand, and I'd have to reset the tool in my hand every squeeze. Tried stock priming arms but discovered ram primers and liked the "feel" and positive seating. Continued to use them for mebbe 20 years and when Lee came out with their bench prime i switched. They may be "slow" for some, but I like reloading and am never in a hurry so if it takes me 20 minutes to prime 50 cases, so what?

BlackRat
02-17-2017, 04:04 PM
I have an old lyman ram prime that I use when I'm loading rifle cartridges since I never reload more than 50 at a time (for my pistol / revolver cartridges I use a progressive and I prime on the press).
Back to the ram prime, yes, it is slow but I like the feel of it and you can be sure that you'll be seating the primers all at the same depth and, once properly adjusted, it's impossible to crush a primer.

MT Chambers
02-17-2017, 05:16 PM
I broke a few priming "arms" on my Rockchucker, now I prime on my Co-ax, good feel and lotsa power.

mdi
02-18-2017, 12:25 PM
I broke a few priming "arms" on my Rockchucker, now I prime on my Co-ax, good feel and lotsa power.
Yep, earilier this week I got a new Co-Ax and have only primed 50 or so cases. I found it so easy and positive, I removed the handle and just grabbed the yoke...