PDA

View Full Version : Great Day in the casting shed

FISH4BUGS
02-13-2017, 08:16 PM
Yesterday (Sunday) we had quite the snowstorm here in NH. Not much I could in a howling snowstorm (total accumulation around 16") so i fired up the heater in the casting shed, and sat down to do my FIRST gas check bullets in history. After reloading and casting for some 40 years,I decided to give gas check bullets a try.
I have a 4 cavity Hensley & Gibbs #51 gas check bullet that I cast last week. I have about 1500 of these ready to size, lube and GC. I also have probably 10,000 of Gator's 35 caliber checks. Remember the panic buying days? I loaded up on everything.
When the Star sizer got heated up properly, I went to work with Magma red lube.
LatheSmith made up a die for me that will be dedicated to this bullet combo. He was kind enough to stamp it 51gc on the top. No muss no fuss.
It was amazing....I got the lube hole settings right in about 2 minutes.
Balancing heat and pressure was the trick to keep everything in running condition.
I don't know what the proper output should be with a Star sizer when you put gas checks on bullets, but I did well over 800 of them that day. i took one break to snow blow the driveway late in the afternoon, but pretty much had about a 6 hour session all told.
All in all a great way to ride out a heck of a snow storm. I'll get the balance done in the next session. Then it is on to working up a load for full house 357's.
I will say however, my right shoulder is some sore. Yanking on that Star Sizer handle gets pretty tiresome after a while. Maybe I need one of those roller handle jobbies.

runfiverun
02-13-2017, 09:37 PM
the shovel handles are super nice.
they are especially nice with the feeder.
I have mine set up so I stand over the machine.
I lift the handle then flick my wrist to drop the boolit in the die then push everything down.
it's about a boolit a second to size and lube.
for the gas checked stuff it takes a bit longer since I drop them in by hand and set the check in place then push the handle down to size/lube.

on some of them.
I push the check on the base of about 50 boolits.
set my piece of steel on the size die, and press the checks in place to square everything up.
then come back and run them through to size and lube.

lightman
02-13-2017, 10:36 PM
That sounds like a nice cozy day in the casting shed and a good use of time when theres nothing else to do!

BrassMagnet
02-13-2017, 11:09 PM
I use a Star and a homemade tool to seat gas checks.

The tool is a 1" x 4" piece of stainless steel about 1/16" thick.
I set a gas check on one end of it and seat a boolit into the gas check with light finger pressure. I move the boolit under the seating punch and press down to seat the gas check firmly. If the boolit nose sticks in the top punch well enough to lift up the boolit and gas check then I just pull the tool out and operate the Star like it has a plain base boolit in it. If the top punch will not hold up the weight of the boolit I just pick it up off the tool and set it inside the sizing die and proceed as normal.

Size is not critical, just big enough to match the size of the top of the sizing die and not big enough to get in the way. Anyone with a metal shear can make a bunch of them in a few minutes!
I already gave away my extras!

FISH4BUGS
02-14-2017, 02:38 PM
the shovel handles are super nice.
Is there a vendor sponsor that makes these? I can always order from Magma but I think i would like to do business with the folks here.
Thanks!
Donald