PDA

View Full Version : Quigley style shooting

canuck4570
02-13-2017, 07:20 PM
I wish to start shooting in Quigley style shooting to 1000 yards

I have the choice of buying a Pedersoli 1874 sharp Buffalo rifle with 30 inches barrel

Boss rifle with 34 inches barrel

I do prefer the buffalo that has 30 inches barrel

is this lenght of barrel OK for the sport

will be shooing black powder only

your advice will be appreciated

Der Gebirgsjager
02-13-2017, 07:43 PM
If you fit the boolit to the bore, experiment with loads a bit, I think you'd do fine with the Pedersoli, which is a very nice rifle. 30 inches is long enough, and 34 is kind of unwieldy. I would chose the Pedersoli.

canuck4570
02-13-2017, 07:47 PM
both rifle are Pedersoli model buffalo and the other one model Boss

with black powder would somebody know how many fps I lose per inches shooting black powder?

sharpsguy
02-13-2017, 08:28 PM
You gain or lose two feet per second for every inch of barrel, up or down, given the same ammunition in both rifles using black powder as the propellant.

Don McDowell
02-13-2017, 08:34 PM
If by Quigley style shooting, you mean shooting sitting off of the crossticks, it'll be fine. Shooting from prone the drop in that buttstock combined with the military steel plate, it'll be a bruiser. You'll want to use a slip on recoil pad such as the shooters friend, or one of the limbsavers.
You may find that last 4 inches of barrel to build up fouling pretty bad just using a blow tube, so wiping between shots will likely be the best cure.

canuck4570
02-13-2017, 08:48 PM
big difference in lost FPS between black powder and smokeless

so with 30 inches barrel I would be OK and less fowling

great…..

country gent
02-13-2017, 09:33 PM
Velocity loss isn't going to be the real big concern. The shorter sight radious of the shorter barrel may be the bigger issue. Along with the increase in recoil of the lighter rifle.

canuck4570
02-13-2017, 09:38 PM
Buffalo rifle is 12.77
boss rifle 13.44

weight I guess no problem maybe the sight radius

the buffalo rifle has a pistol grip
the Boss rifle has a straight grip

is this important….

Bigslug
02-13-2017, 10:11 PM
I would recommend AGAINST straight-wrist stocks for serious target work. You'll have a much easier time pulling back into your shoulder and keeping the sights straight up & down on one of the pistol grip Sharps replicas.

Don McDowell
02-13-2017, 10:22 PM
Both of those rifles are to heavy to shoot regulation NRA silhouette. Weight on an iron sighted rifle has to be 12lbs, 2 oz.
They are both fine for Blackpowder Target Rifle, and gong matches.

canuck4570
02-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Don

this is what I want to do target and dong

thank you

canuck4570
02-14-2017, 08:56 AM
You gain or lose two feet per second for every inch of barrel, up or down, given the same ammunition in both rifles using black powder as the propellant.

could you explain why so little loss in speed per inch with black powder as compared to smokeless?

sharpsguy
02-14-2017, 09:11 AM
The faster they go, the quicker they slow down. I have chronographed thousands of rounds of black powder loads with an Oehler 35P, and 2fps per inch between 30 and 34 inches is the number.

canuck4570
02-14-2017, 09:16 AM
The faster they go, the quicker they slow down. I have chronographed thousands of rounds of black powder loads with an Oehler 35P, and 2fps per inch between 30 and 34 inches is the number.

great because I prefer the Pedersoli Buffalo rifle that has a 30 inch barrel and a pistol grip but I was aprehensive alway was told that you loose a average of 20 to 25 inches per inch with smokeless
has you say it make sense slow loose less
thank for making my choice easier

canuck4570
02-14-2017, 10:21 AM

this is the buffalo rifle from Pedersoli

Boz330
02-14-2017, 11:15 AM
I shoot the hunter rifle from Pedersoli which is similar to that one except it has the Schnable forearm and dull finish. It has the 30" barrel and I have used it in BPCRT out to 1200yd. I believe that the weight is low enough for Silhouette. I have weighed it but don't remember the exact numbers.

Bob

canuck4570
02-14-2017, 11:48 AM
pedersoli says that the weigh of the rifle is 12.77 pound

NRA rules says 12.2 oz

its on the border line

but I will use it as a target on gong shooting
and if I go silhouette shooting I will go for the fun of it and my score does not count for trophie

but I am happy to hear someone saying he used to 1000 yards and moore

do you use Black Powder to shoot at that distant?

Dan Cash
02-14-2017, 12:17 PM
do you use Black Powder to shoot at that distant?

Black powder does fine at 1 mile. 1000 yards or meters is nothing.

canuck4570
02-14-2017, 12:31 PM
guys you made my day

what is your lead composition

can I use WW air cool

my ruger no 1 shoot cloverleaf at 100 yards

I will be shooting the Saeco 540 gr… similar to the postel long range bullet

country gent
02-14-2017, 01:32 PM
I'm using 20-1 lead tin in my BPCR rifles currently. Its working well and I'm not getting any leading. It does swell up to seal the bore well. I may mix up some 16-1 or add a small percentage of antimony in a small batch to test this summer also.

canuck4570
02-14-2017, 01:38 PM
I shoot all summer without cleaning
WW in my ruger does not lead
I seize my bullet .458 and it give excellent accuracy
this with smokeless powder
I shot from 900 fps and 1400 fps no gas check and barrel stays clean

is there a diference with black powder….

Southern Son
02-15-2017, 07:37 AM
Canuck, there is a big difference. Black powder will give you fouling like you ain't never seen. Fouling control is a big part of BPCR shooting. You will need to use a lube designed for black powder, and even then, you will probably have to use a blow tube or wipe between shots.

Black powder fouling is hard, and will build up layer on top of layer, eventually the rifling will not be able to do what it is supposed to do. That eventually could be two or three rounds. If you can get a good black powder lube, it will help keep the fouling soft and stop it from sticking to the barrel so that hopefully the next round will push the fouling out, rather than let it build up.

The only problem with BPCR is that it has so many variables, lube, lead alloy, powder (both the amount and the compression), the primer, wads (how many, and what they are made of), the list goes on.

canuck4570
02-15-2017, 08:43 AM
I have been watching many video and reading on black powder shooting
its a lot of experiencing to find a load that your rifle likes powder, lube, etc….. even read that you put a paper wad over the primer so the powder is kept from getting in the primer flash hole…..
but I did not find nothing on using WW
can I assume that my WW bullet seize at .460 does not lead the barrel of my ruger
this of course if I follow what you wrote above…..blow tube, wiping with patch between shots

country gent
02-15-2017, 02:00 PM
With the right compression on a bullet case powder combination fouling goes down and becomes more controllable. The correct lubes for the conditions help keep it soft and workable. (Hot dry conditions may require different things than cool damp conditions) A good lube in enough quanity goes a long way with the fouling. SPG, Blac Tac, Emmerts improved ( home made) will normally go along way to softening fouling. You will feel it cleaning when the jag and tight fitting patch slide thru feeling snug but greased like its what you want. When its grabbing and feels like its on sandpaper (Dry gritty) you need more fouling control or lube. Experiment with your rifles and see what they want here.

Gunlaker
02-15-2017, 06:49 PM
Go with the pistol grip every time!

You live in a fortunate spot as you are not so far from Ottawa where you can shoot in the long range competitions.

At many of the local matches you'll find they will let you shoot even if your rifle is a tiny bit over weight.

Chris.

Blackwater
02-15-2017, 07:54 PM
As to alloy, I was told that some get good results casting those big, long, heavy bullets with WW's, and many had problems with it. I had problems using WW's with my mold, a Saeco #745, and every one I cast with any WW's in it had a void near the base. Those bullets wouldn't shoot for spit. I was very disappointed, but found some lead sheeting, which is very soft, and added in @ 3% tin for an approximately 30:1 mix, and was instantly rewarded with very good accuracy. But you never know until you try with your mold and lead. It may pay to try both, and let the target tell you which your gun and mold want to shoot its best. My WW bullets were horrible at just 100 yds. Voids in bases throw the bullet out of balance, and there's no telling where they'll hit, and no way to predict which direction they'll yaw off into. Plain binary lead-tin mixes proved in MY gun to be the recipe, but I've heard of too many others getting satisfactory results to insist that my way is the only way. Give 'em both a try and see for yourself. That's always the final arbiter anyway. And if you recover your WW bullets, you can always melt them down again and give them a 2nd chance - a neat factor with lead. FWIW?

canuck4570
02-15-2017, 08:06 PM
Go with the pistol grip every time!

You live in a fortunate spot as you are not so far from Ottawa where you can shoot in the long range competitions.

At many of the local matches you'll find they will let you shoot even if your rifle is a tiny bit over weight.

Chris.

yes I already spoken to 2 shooters of sharp type rifle that go each year for the National in Connaught

I went there once and what a beautiful range

I have the saeco mold 745… and it make very good bullet …… will try this one firs….

thanks

Gunlaker
02-15-2017, 10:13 PM
That mold should be a good start. I've used it in my Shiloh and in a Browning BPCR with good results.

I've heard that the Pedersoli rifles like a .460" bullet.

Chris.

canuck4570
02-15-2017, 10:19 PM
I have heard good comments on this mold
Mine cast a shadow over .460
hope for a early spring to try it with black powder in my ruger NO 1

flint45
02-20-2017, 08:06 PM
Get the shorter one I had a 34 in barrel on a c.sharps last 3 in would foul much worse cut of 4 in now it shoots even better.

canuck4570
02-20-2017, 08:25 PM
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_204/rifles-1874-sharps-rifle-1874-sharps-buffalo.html (http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_204/rifles-1874-sharps-rifle-1874-sharps-buffalo.html)

after many suggestions and reading…. I have chosen the Perdesoli 1874 sharp buffalo rifle………. pistol grip 30 inch heavy barrel

will change the sights for MVA