PDA

View Full Version : A question for Glock 45ACP model owners . . .

bedbugbilly
02-13-2017, 01:29 PM
I don't want to make this a debate between Glock and others . . . just looking for some information.

I'm considering moving up to 45ACP and for my purposes and needs, have sort of narrowed it down to either a Glock 30SF (45ACP) or a Springfield XD Mod2 in 45ACP.

I have never owned a Glock but have looked at quite a few videos in regards to the 30. In one, they mentioned that the rifling on the 45ACP Glocks was "octagon" as opposed to "hexagon" on other calibers.

So my question is - on the 45ACP Glocks - will the stock barrel with octagon rifling be friendly to "cast boolits" for practice/range time or will it be a "jacketed boolit only" pistol? My main concern is if it is safe to shoot cast out of the Glock 45ACP barrel?

I've read posts on where with the 9mm Glocks, etc. - some have luck with cast through them and others change out the barrels for an after market in order to shoot cast. For my purposes, I want to be able to shoot cast reloads (mine) from what I decide to go with without having to spend a lot of additional $$ for an aftermarket barrel so that may be the deciding factory between the Glock and the Springfield choice. Both seem ho have excellent reviews (other than the possible "pinky pinch" on the Glock).

So . . . for 45ACP Glock owners . . . what is your experience as far as shooting cast from the Glock 45ACP stock barrel . . . yay or nay?

Thanks.

Plate plinker
02-13-2017, 01:36 PM
I do cast in mine, but am looking to PC my lead now. Reason is I hate cleaning out lead from barrels. Hoping it works out for the better.

jrayborn
02-13-2017, 01:41 PM
I shoot cast in mine, but it takes a bit more experimentation. You can buy a conventional drop in barrel too if you HAVE to. Don't let the shooting of cast bullets be something that causes you to buy one over another. Get the best one for YOU and then learn how to shoot cast through it. It is very do-able in either.

DougGuy
02-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Once throated Glock barrels take to .452" cast like a duck to water.

EMC45
02-13-2017, 01:52 PM
DO IT! I have the G36 (single stack Glock .45 ACP) and it shoots cast just fine. As a matter of fact the day I got it I ran 100 rounds through it. All of which were cast Lee 230gr. TC bullet sized to .452 in STEEL Wolf cases. Went through them fast and ran the gun hot. No leading. None. Was told you can't shoot lead through Glocks and also was told you can't reload steel cases for years. Had to prove 'em wrong. Not only did they shoot well and not lead, but they were very accurate as well. I was told by a buddy who sells guns for a local shop that .45 caliber Glock barrels went through a different process of manufacture and rifling than the other calibers that made them a bit more accurate.

Love Life
02-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Glocks normally don't need to be throated.

It is perfectly safe to shoot uncoated lead bullets from the Glock factory barrels. I have for years, across many calibers, to include the 45 ACP. I have fired un-coated, traditionally lubed lead bullets in the Glock 36, 21, and 41 models.

Ensure correct fit, and a good lube. During initial load development check the bore after every charge increment to check for leading. If no leading then carry on and have a good time!!

To help eliminate the learning curve a bit: .452 bullet, coated or lubed with good lube, seat to recommended O.A.L., crimp .469-.470, and call it a day.

7Acres
02-13-2017, 02:56 PM
I've shot lead in my Glock 21 with no issues. From what I understand cast vs jacketed isn't the debate. It's the fact that the factory chamber is not fully supported. There's a guy on here that had the base of his brass blow out on him. It had weakened enough in that area and it lined up with the unsupported spot again. Apparently it didn't injure him. But the shock of it going down the mag well was enough for him to never try it again. Lone Wolf sells a fully supported after market barrel. Problem solved for reloaders.

I doubt there is any issue whatsoever with new brass. Just old weak brass.

35remington
02-13-2017, 07:06 PM
Blown out brass likely had much more to do with an overload than an unsupported chamber.

Love Life
02-13-2017, 07:34 PM
Blown out brass likely had much more to do with an overload than an unsupported chamber.

I agree.

AnthonyB
02-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Lead in Glock 45s is fine. Get the 30S instead of the SF. Same capacity and thinner slide.
Tony

Lefty Red
02-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Buddy has a Gen4 30 and it's never too far from him. About the size of the G23/19 and really a soft shooter.

As far as cast, I load him some SWCs and run them about 750fps and it keeps the leading low.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35
02-14-2017, 09:24 AM
My 9mm Glocks do just fine with .357 boolits in the factory barrels. I usually shoot 'em out of the Storm Lake tubes because I find they are more accurate with lead.

garym1a2
02-14-2017, 10:14 AM
My Glock 21sf is great on lead, I have over 10k rounds on it, includeing 750 in one day. I had a G30S and did not like it, too heavy for its size and I could only get 9 rounds in the mag. While my G19 is lighter and holds 15 rounds.

bedbugbilly
02-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind responses and information - it's greatly appreciated.

To clear a couple of things up - I have a 9mm Shield now and it is a good CCW - no doubt about that. However, I am wanting to go to the 45ACP as I had a Colt 1911A1 many years ago and I like the cartridge. I sold the 1911A1 as it was too good of an example and a collector wanted it pretty bad - and for CCW, I personally just don't care for that platform. I also have never had much love for the 40 - again, a personal thing.

I carry now OWB and I use only Fobus paddle holsters. I like how they work and the retention they give and yet you can draw easily with them. I currently rotate between a Smith Model 36 snub J frame, the Shield and at times, a Combat Masterpiece. All carry well under a shirt-tail or jacket for me.

So . . . since the 30 S with the thinner slide was mentioned I have a question in regards to that model and the 30 SF. It is my understanding that both are on the SF frame and are identical except for the slide. The 30 S being somewhat narrower. I can see how this would help if carrying IWB, but if carried OWB in a Fobus paddle holster, would not either work just fine? I realize the weight difference in the slides but that has to be minimal? I also know that it is going to be a heavier carry but I am willing to adjust for that to get the 45 ACP with a 9 + 1 capacity. The Shield I carry is thinner but the J frame with combat grips n it is not a "thin" pistol nor is the Combat Masterpiece so I don't think the thickness of a Glock OWB will really e an issue for the way I carry?

Your thoughts?

I will also mention something else that I think a lot of folks may struggle with. I have primarily always been a "revolver guy" but when I have had semi-autos (probably a half dozen over the last 50 years) I have always felt the need for a safety. I just learned to thumb sweep it off when withdrawing from a holster.

After several incidents in recent years (which unfortunately were unavoidable but fortunately the drawing of a weapon was not required), I have come to realize just how important it is to be able to withdraw from a holster and be ready to shoot if necessary without the stress of having to worry about a safety sweep. But let's face it, there is no safety on a DA revolver other than the hammer block and "duh", a semi-auto such as the Glock, XD, etc. is really no different. My Shield has a safety and now I just leave it off - the holster covers the trigger so it can't be snagged and it is just as "safe" as a DA revolver when in the holster - but it is ready to go when withdrawn just like a DA revolver.

For those who are experienced with semi-autos, this is a minor issue I'm sure. But, for an old fart like myself, it takes some time to wrap your head around it. So, if someone (who thought like I did) is struggling with that when changing from a revolver to a semi-auto, give all of that some thought. Whether or not a semi has a safety is a "personal" thing but for me, I no longer make it an "issue" - everyone is different though.

Thanks again or the information - I am looking forward to finding a Glock - never thought I'd own one but I think it will be just the ticket for what I am looking for . . . . and it probably will lead to the purchase of a 21 at some point.

osteodoc08
02-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Have a look at the XDM compact as well. It is different than the Mod2.

bedbugbilly
02-15-2017, 09:16 PM
Thanks osteodoc08 - that is one that I missed so I did go do some research on it. A tad bit longer than the Mod2 but still "doable" for sure for my purposes. I keep thinking I'm getting this narrowed down and then I go back and look at the Glock and Springfields and compare - problem is - both are great from what I'm reading and seeing.

osteodoc08
02-15-2017, 09:23 PM
The XDM felt better in my hand. YMMV. Glock is still awesome. Can't go wrong either way.

W.R.Buchanan
02-17-2017, 05:05 PM
BBB: I have a G21SF and a G36 Single Stack. Both shoot lead just fine and as mentioned above size to .452 and crimp to .469-.470.

I have evolved to shooting Powder Coated boolits in mine, and they eliminate lube completely. These are Lyman 452374.

The one thing I would caution you on is the G30 is kind of hard to hold onto unless you get some kind of magazine extensions. The grip is short and fat.

The G36 is similar but since it is a single stack design the grip is much smaller than the G30 which is the same girth as a G21 but not as long. I attached Pearce Mag Extensions to all my Mags and the gun is very easy to hold onto and shoot accurately.

I shoot my .45's better than any of my other pistols, and with cast boolits I am reloading for about .07 per round. Range brass is plentiful and also available from many here and will last until you lose them. I literally had to buy a .45 Pistol because I had accumulated so much .45 ACP brass that I couldn't ignore it. Now I have 3! Also .45 ACP is one of the most forgiving Pistol cartridges to reload.

I don't ever worry about the .45 ACP. They figure it out along time ago. And Glock .45's work just fine with Cast Boolits.

Randy

9.3X62AL
02-17-2017, 05:36 PM
My Glock 21 doted on cast bullets. I did a pretty extensive wring-out of 4 bullet designs, all designs sized at both .452" and .454" after slugging the barrel gave a .449" x .453" octagonal profile. I couldn't see a significant difference between .452" and .454" in terms of targeting, accuracy, or bore leading. 600 rounds into the test, there wasn't a trace of bore leading discernible. Alloy used throughout was 92/6/2 metal, and Javelina Alox/BW was the lube. No magic or rocket science involved.