PDA

View Full Version : My modified RCBS ladle

country gent
02-13-2017, 12:41 PM
After a couple posts about multiple pour pots I decide to modify an RCBS ladle to 1 2 spout ladle on the correct centerline for my 2 cavity moulds.
I tapped the original spout with a 1/4 28 NF starting tap tacking care to leave tight on inside of ladle, this provided a mechanical lock and seal on the inside. I then threaded a 1/4X 28 bolt into it tight and cut the original spout off. Leaving a little proud and peening down into close finish. This provided the seal and mechanical lock on the out side edge. I laid out the new holes and made a drill fixture for it. I center drilled drilled and tapped for 1/8" NPT on .800 centers. A couple 1/8" pipe nipples provided the new spouts. I put these in at 20* up angle from centerline to help with a controlled pour.

187966187966 .187965

This should allow filling both cavities with one pour. If this works well I may make one with a little more capacity and a separated bowl so each spout has its separate lead supply.

Hardcast416taylor
02-13-2017, 05:19 PM
I ground all those fins off and shortened the handle 2" besides opening up the pour spout hole. I still use my Lyman dipper over the RCBS I have gathering dust. Ingenius job you did though.Robert

country gent
02-13-2017, 05:23 PM
I left the fin for now. It may fall victim to a file still. I may file a locating notch in whats left also to set on the edge of the mould. I also open holes up on the lyman and RCBS standard ladles to around .210 dia. The nipples are .258 dia as they are so I just polished them up a little.

gwpercle
02-14-2017, 07:39 PM
This is , I think , a new idea....I don't remember any double spouted pouring ladles.
Neat.
I can't wait to hear how it works out. I have a lot of idea's that look good on paper , but fail the "hey it work's" test.
.210 dia. drill , what is that in fractions of an inch, been wanting to open mine up but was scared to over do it....my drill set doesn't have decimals.
Gary

country gent
02-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Its actually a number drill. Closest fraction would be 7/32. That's .21875. I clamp up the ladle with a drill to alighn the spout then drill it out in the drill press.

Petrol & Powder
02-14-2017, 08:01 PM
I'll be following this. Looks promising and you did fine work setting it up.

Nicely done.

country gent
02-14-2017, 10:00 PM
Thank-you Petrol and Powder. Its easy enough to do with a drill press. My 2 cavity moulds are all Old West not sure of the spacing on Lyman, Rcbs, Lees or others. Mine were all .810 centerline. It should work well and the one pour will fill both cavities now.