PDA

View Full Version : Let's make hay while the sun shines: next four years

bcr
02-13-2017, 10:29 AM
I am a counter-cyclical guy. I don't run around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to find powder, primers and AR rifles the morning after a Democrat takes over the white house. Now we most likely have a Republican administration for the next four years. I'm going to assume for the sake of the exercise that the Democrats make a clean sweep of it in 2020 and then all bets are off.

So, for the next four years, I want to systematically build up my stockpiles for casting, reloading, and shooting. Here's what I'm thinking:

1) 2000 pieces of brass for every caliber I own (maybe 5000 for pistols?)
2) 6 guns per year
3) Add 1000 lbs. of lead to my stockpile
4) 10,000 rounds worth of powder, primers, for each caliber
5) 10,000 rounds of .22 LR ammunition
6) Expand my casting and reloading setups

What about you all?

Green Frog
02-13-2017, 10:46 AM
I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing, but I expect it to be a little easier and perhaps cheaper now.

Froggie

dverna
02-13-2017, 11:04 AM
You are way light on powder and primers...at least for pistols. Rifle brass for .223/5.56 - 5000 is plenty as brass is easy to get at any time...but the AR's do tend to used it up. Same for 9mm and .40. I have about the same amount...maybe more.

For hunting rifles, 200 per caliber is enough for me expect for the .308. I have 2000 or so for it.

I would look at about 150 lbs of powder. For SHTF there are good all round powders that will work in a lot of guns.

You have not considered shotgun ammo/components. It is a great gun for defense and hunting so give that some thought.

Don Verna

TexasGrunt
02-13-2017, 11:10 AM
I don't need 2000 pieces for every caliber.

5000-8000 .223
1000 .308
500 .30-06

My five gallon bucket of .45 is plenty.
I've only got one .40 handgun and I'm thinking of selling it. It's a XD .40 V10 and I hardly ever shoot it.
I'd like 1000 rounds of 10mm
500 rounds of .44 MAG
500 rounds of .357
I've got plenty of .38 SPL.

I'm sitting on over 30k of .22 LR so I should be good there. I need to stock up on some .22 Mag and .17 WSM.

I need around 500 more light 12 gauge rounds. Another 250 of buck and slug.

As far as components. All the powder and primers I can convince my wife to let me buy. A couple of tons of lead and alloys.

ReloaderFred
02-13-2017, 11:50 AM
I used to plan on having two years worth of supplies on hand at all times, but have since increased that to a four year supply. When I feel I've got a "comfortable" amount of powder and primers on hand, then I'll rotate my stock as I purchase new.

Primers are the mainstay, since without them, powder is just fertilizer and bullets are just fishing weights..... I never went dry during the past shortages, and don't plan on going short during any future ones..

Hope this helps.

Fred

Freightman
02-13-2017, 04:44 PM
If I get much more it will be for my kids, old enough to remember part of WWII so too much will be for someone else.

rancher1913
02-13-2017, 06:17 PM
have extra primers, you can always find some newbie that bought a ton of powder to stash and did not realize you needed the primers to make it work and make a trade. primers are the Achilles heel of reloading.

bcr
02-13-2017, 07:59 PM
These are all good suggestions. I will do an inventory and then make a list. Obviously 10 lbs. of Bullseye goes a lot further than 10 lbs. of H110.

If someone wanted one ton of lead, even if not all at once, where is the best place to get it? I got a lot back in the day stopping by tire shops, but I assume it's slim pickings there now.

mdi
02-13-2017, 09:20 PM
I think I'll continue as I am. I don't/didn't panic buy when obumma came to power and I see no reason to change my ways. I bought a little more than I needed at the time; many times I went to the box store/gunshop for something else, I'd pick up an extra brick of primers or 22s. Same with powders, I never waited until I was getting low nor in need ( sometimes I bought powder that I normally didn't use, mainly to experiment with later). I found a powder that works well in my rifles so I slowly stocked up a couple pounds here and a couple there. I never cleaned out every jug on the shelf, I always left some for the next guy. Doing this I have a "running inventory" (minimum) of 8 lbs of my favorite rifle powder, and 10 pounds of my favorite handgun powder and mebbe 20 pounds of assorted powders. When I empty one I'll get another. Easy to do, just think ahead...

tazman
02-13-2017, 09:21 PM
I am a counter-cyclical guy. I don't run around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to find powder, primers and AR rifles the morning after a Democrat takes over the white house. Now we most likely have a Republican administration for the next four years. I'm going to assume for the sake of the exercise that the Democrats make a clean sweep of it in 2020 and then all bets are off.

So, for the next four years, I want to systematically build up my stockpiles for casting, reloading, and shooting. Here's what I'm thinking:

1) 2000 pieces of brass for every caliber I own (maybe 5000 for pistols?)
2) 6 guns per year
3) Add 1000 lbs. of lead to my stockpile
4) 10,000 rounds worth of powder, primers, for each caliber
5) 10,000 rounds of .22 LR ammunition
6) Expand my casting and reloading setups

What about you all?

I'm already beyond those numbers. I figure it will take me at least 6 years to go through my supplies. At that time I will see where things stand with availability and my ability to continue shooting.
Time doesn't stop for anyone. Every day I get older. At some point, I may have to give it up.

GhostHawk
02-13-2017, 10:13 PM
I have a 25 lb box of brass in 9mm, .40sw and .45 acp. How many thousands are in em, I have no clue. I have used maybe 300 9mm and it hardly seems like it was lowered at all.

I am sitting on 30 lbs of Red Dot and Promo. That will get replenished as it is used. I like sitting on that 25-30 lbs mark. Dated when it arrives, use oldest first of course.

I do not have a thousand pounds of lead. 3-400 maybe. Just bought 110 lbs for decent price delivered to my door.

Just ordered another 2 thousand rounds of Federal Champion auto match to feed my pair of Ruger Mk III 22/45's. His and hers, both with Truglo red dots on top. And we will be picking up this week the second Phoenix Arms HP-22 10 shot .22lr pistol. 125$ plus FFL makes a dang nice car gun. Don't worry about losing it. Leave it in there, chamber empty, mag loaded in a soft case in the door pocket. My wife and I don't CC, not a whole lot of need to up here. But I decided it was worth spending 150$ on some inexpensive easy to stash pistols for the cars.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

rancher1913
02-13-2017, 10:27 PM
bcr, the best deals can be had in the vendor section right here. if you figure the cost of ww's and smelting its better to just order it here, its usually in the buck a pound range, which is far cheaper than rotometals.

Love Life
02-14-2017, 12:53 PM
The number of reloading sales and deals going on right now is quite awesome.

I expect inventory at the sellers to drop a tad during the great gubmint giveaway known as tax season, and will look to pounce during summer vacation season when er'body is broke and trying to figure out how to save up for krimuss.

Kevin Rohrer
02-14-2017, 05:28 PM
I've been slowly collecting everything over the last 10-years, and now have enough of everything (except a few firearms) to last me the rest of my life. Ok, I might need a bit more lead, and will keep an eye out for that.

LittleLebowski
02-14-2017, 11:11 PM
I don't need more guns, just more supplies.

tankgunner59
02-19-2017, 11:01 PM
I'm with Green Frog and LittleLebowski, I don't need any more guns so I'll keep doing the same and hopefully be able to get more supplies. Hopefully it'll be a little cheaper.

Beagle333
02-19-2017, 11:28 PM
I'm short on primers now, so that'll be one thing that I'm trying to stock up on. I learned a lot about many new powders during these years since Sandy Hook, but they all need a way to light em.
I never ran out of powders, but I did have to start being selective on how many LPP vs SPP that I was using up.

GARD72977
02-26-2017, 12:02 PM
I dont need bigger goals. I need a higher paying job!

Geezer in NH
02-26-2017, 04:21 PM
Some have X# for over 25 years.

Glad to see the younger guys realize what's happening.

GONRA
02-27-2017, 07:40 PM
GONRA sure agrees with Geezer in NH (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?11244-Geezer-in-NH) .
Mother always said "you can NEVER have too much ammo!"

s1120
03-02-2017, 10:03 AM
I really need primers, and some bullseye powder. The primers are out there, I just need to get some... bullseye has been scarce still. Also need to stock up on SV.22. Ive been able to keep up, but its been tough to keep up with match ammo.

TexasGrunt
03-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Bullseye I can get locally. Unique, not at all.

Budzilla 19
03-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Southwest Texas shooters and reloader's, off of I-10 between Seguin and San Antonio there's a exit for Trainor-Hale Road. South on Trainor Hale is Bexar County Shooting Range.(Marion, Texas??) Look them up, give them a call, check out their reloading supplies. When I was over there working, they had huge amounts of everything!!!!! And a great place to shoot also! Just putting it out there for all..