PDA

View Full Version : Ruger GP-100 6" half lug

FergusonTO35
02-13-2017, 09:48 AM
My best friend is planning to sell his Ruger GP-100 to get something more concealable. It is a stainless .357 with adjustable sights and the uncommon 6" half lug barrel, made in 2001 according to the serial number. He is the second owner and the revolver has only a few hundred rounds fired through it at the most. No box or papers. I scoured Gunbroker and found that pretty much any stainless GP should bring around $500.00. The only 6" half lug I found went for $600.00 with 16 bids.

What would you guys value this revolver at? This is the only 6" half lug I have ever seen in the wild, if I had the itch for a heavy duty .357 it would be my number one choice. I'll try to get some pics for you.

rintinglen
02-13-2017, 03:36 PM
I'd go 600 for a low mileage gun like than. Bear in mine that here in California you have to pay what it costs if you want it and it is not on the list.

rking22
02-14-2017, 09:17 PM
Grab it,, I have a blued 6 inch short lug that is now 41 special. They are scarce around here. Very good feel vs the full lug.

FergusonTO35
02-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Only problem is, I have to drive 50 miles to find an FFL who will ship to California and it ain't cheap! Would this one be legal over there, given it's not a current model?

rking22
02-14-2017, 11:19 PM
Thought you were buying??? last I knew KY was still a free state :) I be confused..

FergusonTO35
02-15-2017, 09:34 AM
Yes, Kentucky is still a free state! I am trying to help my friend sell it.

bisleyfan41
02-15-2017, 01:11 PM
Some are expensive, some aren't:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/620126044

rintinglen
02-15-2017, 02:05 PM
If it's not on the list, it can't come in--period. California and Massachusetts have some of the most sucky gun laws in the country, due to that fact that we have ignorant people voting for idiots as often as not. And we have lots of ignorant people.

bisleyfan41
02-15-2017, 07:14 PM
If it's not on the list, it can't come in--period. California and Massachusetts have some of the most sucky gun laws in the country, due to that fact that we have ignorant people voting for idiots as often as not. And we have lots of ignorant people.

I feel your pain. I'm in Maryland so we're only half a step behind you.

Bigslug
02-15-2017, 10:53 PM
The major ingredient to pricing on Gunbroker seems to be crack cocaine: sellers appear to have the notion that since they have the entirety of the gun shopping Internet to ply their wares to, they might as well troll for idiots.

Judge the price not by the listings, but by what actually is GETTING BIDS. Yeah, you'll get some semi rare birds like that KGP-160 half-lug that seem to wreck the curve (to me, it's a $400 gun), but unless you've got some special attraction to that model, spend the money on a new one with the underlug. I've got a circa-1992 GP that I thought wore into having an excellent trigger until my mother picked up a new GP and I a new Redhawk last year. They took my usual practice of disassemble, flush, excessively oil, shoot A LOT, re-flush and sensibly lube and are now bordering on Python-ness. They're doing good work on the lockworks these days.

FergusonTO35
02-16-2017, 09:16 AM
There are apparently quite a few people who love the half lug GP's. I am one of them, in general I cannot stand full lugs on most revolvers. They look unfinished in my eyes, like the person at the mill suddenly discovered he was behind and so cut the final step out of the process to get caught back up. S&W's are the worst in this regard, the underlug looks like a huge tumor that needs to be cut off.

bisleyfan41
02-16-2017, 10:32 AM
The major ingredient to pricing on Gunbroker seems to be crack cocaine: sellers appear to have the notion that since they have the entirety of the gun shopping Internet to ply their wares to, they might as well troll for idiots.

Judge the price not by the listings, but by what actually is GETTING BIDS. Yeah, you'll get some semi rare birds like that KGP-160 half-lug that seem to wreck the curve (to me, it's a $400 gun), but unless you've got some special attraction to that model, spend the money on a new one with the underlug. I've got a circa-1992 GP that I thought wore into having an excellent trigger until my mother picked up a new GP and I a new Redhawk last year. They took my usual practice of disassemble, flush, excessively oil, shoot A LOT, re-flush and sensibly lube and are now bordering on Python-ness. They're doing good work on the lockworks these days.

Regarding GB prices, you don't HAVE to bid or buy if it's too high. Just walk away. I find great deals on there all the time; even taking into account shipping and transfer fees. If I waited for that half-lug GP to show up locally, I'd never have one. I just prefer the balance of the half lug GPs. 357s aren't all that savage; no need for a bunch of extra weight. With the way new Rugers are being shipped, I'll NEVER buy a new one again. You can have them; I'll buy up the older, barely used, pre-owned guns at half the price.

There are apparently quite a few people who love the half lug GP's. I am one of them, in general I cannot stand full lugs on most revolvers. They look unfinished in my eyes, like the person at the mill suddenly discovered he was behind and so cut the final step out of the process to get caught back up. S&W's are the worst in this regard, the underlug looks like a huge tumor that needs to be cut off.

My sentiments exactly.

reddog81
02-16-2017, 11:13 AM
In my neck of the woods it seems like $550 is the new average for a used GP100. 2 years ago you could find them for $450 pretty easily - I saw a couple at $400 and regret not getting them.

I like the look of the half lug a bit better and might be willing to pay an extra $25 for it, but not more than that. You can find a new standard one for $650 so I'd have a hard time paying anything more than $600 for a used one. Of course the GP100 is a gun that will last for 10'000's of rounds, so a couple boxes of even the most stout factory ammo would only be helping to break in the gun.

FergusonTO35
02-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Back in the early 2000's when my friend bought this gun nobody wanted revolvers. Shops had cases full of them at very low prices and they just sat there. Stuff like S&W 19 for $229.95, S&W 66 or Ruger Security Six for $265.00, police trade S&W 10 for $150.00, like new Taurus or Charter Arms for $130.00. This was during the days of the Clinton magazine ban when you would think wheelguns might be more popular. Nope, people still wanted bottom feeders and $85.00 pre-ban mags.

Harry O
02-16-2017, 03:45 PM
I have one and much prefer the balance of it to the full lug version. "Balance" is very subjective to different people, though.